Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

demote CPU performance

vichsu
Beginner
Hi...

I would like to write a program in C++ to downgrade CPU performance in desktop computer.

The purpose is to save power and cool system if necessary.

can you give me a hint or any document to help me out? I have been spent almost 1 month to look for the answer in internet. Thanks a lot...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frank_W_Intel
Employee

Goto http://www.acpi.info/and download the latest ACPI specification (3.0a).

You should read the whole document, but focus on chapter 8 as it discusses the power-states for the processor and how BIOS and the driver communicate those capabilities. The structures built by the BIOS also tell the driver how to initiate those power states / capabilities.

Your software should act like or replace the OS power driver and parse the ACPI structures to determine the processors capabilities and method for invoking the capability. I think this is the best way to accomplish your task since each processor model for each company can do things differently and the ACPI tables will tell you how to do the action based on the installed processor.

0 Kudos
vichsu
Beginner

excuse me. is it workable for desktop CPU?

in fact, i developed a CPU throttling program but it can't work in desktop CPU because desktop CPU doesn't support throttling function.

anyway i'm reading the ACPI document now. thank you a lot.
0 Kudos
goodtherapy_org
Beginner
I'd be interested in knowing what you discovered and if you were able to throttle down. Please update. Thanks!
0 Kudos
vichsu
Beginner
um...I have given up throttling in desktop cpu and looking for other way.nowone cueis appearing but i stilldon't know if it is workable.
0 Kudos