Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

icl and parallel composer hang

Frederick_Heckel
Beginner
Hi,

I'm having an issue which seems to be related to checking license files. icl.exe hangs under all circumstances (including when called with no input files or the /help flag) for both the 32 bit and 64 bit compilers. In addition, when attempting to uninstall Parallel Composer, the uninstaller hangs with the message "Reading Existing Licenses ..." on the splash screen. I'm wondering if anyone can provide some guidance for this.

Another system using the same (academic) license has no problems, though it has an identical software install. This is under Windows 7 RC-- while I understand 7 is not supported at this time, this issue has carried over from Vista 32 bit, but have only now seriously sat down to try and resolve it.

Windows 7 64 bit RC (build 7100), Visual Studio 2008 SP 1, Parallel Studio initial release (11.1.061).

One additional note: After killing the uninstall of composer, chklic.exe remains running, fully utilizing one core
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel
Hi,

I'm having an issue which seems to be related to checking license files. icl.exe hangs under all circumstances (including when called with no input files or the /help flag) for both the 32 bit and 64 bit compilers. In addition, when attempting to uninstall Parallel Composer, the uninstaller hangs with the message "Reading Existing Licenses ..." on the splash screen. I'm wondering if anyone can provide some guidance for this.

Another system using the same (academic) license has no problems, though it has an identical software install. This is under Windows 7 RC-- while I understand 7 is not supported at this time, this issue has carried over from Vista 32 bit, but have only now seriously sat down to try and resolve it.

Windows 7 64 bit RC (build 7100), Visual Studio 2008 SP 1, Parallel Studio initial release (11.1.061).

One additional note: After killing the uninstall of composer, chklic.exe remains running, fully utilizing one core

Welcome to the forums. Assuming you're running icl.exe from the command line, can you do a "set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=1" before the call to icl.exe, then run icl.exe and copy the output from running the command until it hangs here? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner

Welcome to the forums. Assuming you're running icl.exe from the command line, can you do a "set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=1" before the call to icl.exe, then run icl.exe and copy the output from running the command until it hangs here? Thanks!

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, on the affected system, after setting that environment variable, icl still produces no output. I've tried it under both a vanilla command prompt and also both the 32 and 64bit command prompt windows from the parallel studio start menu item. Any other possibilities?
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, on the affected system, after setting that environment variable, icl still produces no output. I've tried it under both a vanilla command prompt and also both the 32 and 64bit command prompt windows from the parallel studio start menu item. Any other possibilities?

OK, one other thing to try - can you go to the bin directory (for example, for the 32-bit compiler, it is c:program filesintelparallel studiocomposerbinia32 on my system), and move any *FNP.dll files into a folder that's not in the PATH, then try running the compiler and see if the hang persists? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner

OK, one other thing to try - can you go to the bin directory (for example, for the 32-bit compiler, it is c:program filesintelparallel studiocomposerbinia32 on my system), and move any *FNP.dll files into a folder that's not in the PATH, then try running the compiler and see if the hang persists? Thanks.

Yep, still have the hang when I move those away, for both the 32-bit and 64-bit compilers.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel

Yep, still have the hang when I move those away, for both the 32-bit and 64-bit compilers.

OK, I'm waiting to hear from our FlexLM* expert to see if he has ideas on how to figure out what's going on. In the meantime, can you try runningthe Microsoft* Process Explorer available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx and see if while icl.exe is hanging if you can see any other processes that might begetting hung upor if it is just icl.exe? Thanks for your patience here.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
A couple other questions too. Can you go to c:program filescommon filesintellicenses (might be c:program files(x86)common filesintellicenses) andmove all the license files (*.lic) except the one for Intel Parallel Composer somewhere else, assuming you have other license files? Also, do you have other Intel Compilers installed and/or is your OS non-English? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner
A couple other questions too. Can you go to c:program filescommon filesintellicenses (might be c:program files(x86)common filesintellicenses) andmove all the license files (*.lic) except the one for Intel Parallel Composer somewhere else, assuming you have other license files? Also, do you have other Intel Compilers installed and/or is your OS non-English? Thanks.

I'll try the license file thing in the morning, but the only Intel product I have installed is Parallel Studio (+ the IPP static libraries), and I am using an English OS. I will post some more information Tuesday morning.
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner
Okay, there doesn't appear to be anything else hanging, and the parallel studio license file is the only one I have. Even completely removing it causes no change. I'm sorry I'm not able to provide more useful information for this.

One thing I just did notice, when trying to build boost with the compiler, something different is happening-- the title of the command window changes to "Intel C++ Compiler Professional for applications running on IA-32, Version 11.1.061 build environment" which is more than happens when I run it independently. It does hang at that point, though. Going to see if I can get any more output from this, as bjam seems to be eating stdout/stderr at the moment
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner
Quoting - fheckel
Okay, there doesn't appear to be anything else hanging, and the parallel studio license file is the only one I have. Even completely removing it causes no change. I'm sorry I'm not able to provide more useful information for this.

One thing I just did notice, when trying to build boost with the compiler, something different is happening-- the title of the command window changes to "Intel C++ Compiler Professional for applications running on IA-32, Version 11.1.061 build environment" which is more than happens when I run it independently. It does hang at that point, though. Going to see if I can get any more output from this, as bjam seems to be eating stdout/stderr at the moment

And unfortunately this case doesn't provide any useful output.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel

And unfortunately this case doesn't provide any useful output.

When you run icl.exe yourself, are you running from the Intel-provided shell environments provided in the Start menu, or are you using your own cmd window? The Intel-provided ones will have a title saying something like "Intel Parallel Studio IA-32 VS2008".
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner

When you run icl.exe yourself, are you running from the Intel-provided shell environments provided in the Start menu, or are you using your own cmd window? The Intel-provided ones will have a title saying something like "Intel Parallel Studio IA-32 VS2008".

I've run both ways, with the same result.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel

I've run both ways, with the same result.

This is a tough one. I'm still trying to reproduce on some different systems. I'm also trying to run down if I can get you something that will help us identify where in the compiler the hang is occuring. When I can do that, I will let you know.
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi folks,
Composer update 2 is now released. In addition there's an important note section that outlinesthe resolution to the problem concerning hang or encountering a segmentation fault of applications built with Intel C++ and Visual Fortran Compilers Professional Edition, version 11.1, or Intel Parallel Composerwhen run on Microsoft* Windows 7* or Windows Server 2008* R2

Please go the following link and look under the important note section that contains more details on the problem and resolution to the same:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=68454

-regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner

Hi folks,
Composer update 2 is now released. In addition there's an important note section that outlinesthe resolution to the problem concerning hang or encountering a segmentation fault of applications built with Intel C++ and Visual Fortran Compilers Professional Edition, version 11.1, or Intel Parallel Composerwhen run on Microsoft* Windows 7* or Windows Server 2008* R2

Please go the following link and look under the important note section that contains more details on the problem and resolution to the same:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=68454

-regards,
Kittur

On my system, the license hang still occurs at install; just for kicks, I replaced the chklic.exe from the unpacked install directory with chklicv.exe from inspector update 1, and copied over the chklicv_libfnp.dll as well. This allowed composer update 2 to install, but the compiler is still hanging, just as before.
0 Kudos
Yang_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - fheckel

On my system, the license hang still occurs at install; just for kicks, I replaced the chklic.exe from the unpacked install directory with chklicv.exe from inspector update 1, and copied over the chklicv_libfnp.dll as well. This allowed composer update 2 to install, but the compiler is still hanging, just as before.

Did you uninstall the previous update 1 composer? Could you please have a fresh install with the new update 2 package and try again?
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner

Did you uninstall the previous update 1 composer? Could you please have a fresh install with the new update 2 package and try again?

Yes, that was with a fresh install of the initial release of Parallel Studio and update 2 installed. I haven't been able to install composer update 2 separately (without parallel studio at all), as (even if chklic doesn't hang) the installer rejects my parallel studio serial number.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - fheckel
Yes, that was with a fresh install of the initial release of Parallel Studio and update 2 installed. I haven't been able to install composer update 2 separately (without parallel studio at all), as (even if chklic doesn't hang) the installer rejects my parallel studio serial number.
Emmmm, could you check the date of "icl.exe" file ? It should be 9/3/09 8:xxx.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
Frederick_Heckel
Beginner
Emmmm, could you check the date of "icl.exe" file ? It should be 9/3/09 8:xxx.

Jennifer

I have 9/4/2009 7:09AM on the 32bit binary, and slightly earlier on the Intel64 compiler.
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - fheckel

I have 9/4/2009 7:09AM on the 32bit binary, and slightly earlier on the Intel64 compiler.

It is possible to see a stack trace for the icl.exe when it hangs by using Process Explorer. That might clue you in the right direction. If the CPU utilization is 0% then it might be some time-wait for a resource (network, some removable drive, etc) which is unavailable. If the CPU utilization is high (>=50%) then it might be a threading synchronisation problem in the code, the second option can be eliminated if icl.exe is run using some utility which allows setting affinity mask to only one CPU core.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - fheckel

Hello fheckel,
Please download the Intel Parallel Composer update 2 revised. It's just released and available. It should have the fix.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos