Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

idb disappear soon after it started

Hang_S_
Beginner

My server is ubuntu 12.04, and I use shell in windows to login in. I have installed openjdk-7-jre. After I type idb it stared a interface, but soon after it's getting ready, it's disappear, and in the shell it's said 

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:11.0".

Can anyone help me what does this mean? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Hang,

Thank you for posting your issue here, could you please clarify your environment more clear? In my understanding, this may not be the issue of IDB. It receives a high google ranking for most of the searches for the same problem. From my unerstanding of google research, this is related to the X configuratiion.

you mentioned you use a "shell" to login, what is the shell you are using? If possible, I suggest you to try some other GUI application to see whether they can work. If not, the next step is to see whether you can find some solution from google search (to change some configuration of the Xserver).

Please let me know your results if possible, I'd like to try my best to help.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Hang_S_
Beginner

Thank you very much for the reply!

I have already google some, but no solution was found. I use Xmanager as the client. Here is the situation: when I use plplot and gnuplot to plot graph, I can get the X window successfuly. So I think there would be no problem about the X server. But since idb has something to do with java, I wondering whether I miss something to install, besides openjdk-7-jre.

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Hang,

Thank you for your update. could you please make sure OpenJDK is used, instead of GNU Java (use 'which java')? You may need to check this because by default some Linux distributions favor the GNU version in $PATH which we do not support. If possible, you may also try the standard Oracle Java.

Pleaset let me know your results, this may be an issue of GNU Java.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Hang_S_
Beginner

Hi Shenghong,

I use which java and get 

/usr/bin/java

I'm new in Linux, I'm not sure whether this is right?

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Hang,

Thank you for your update. From you results, it is using the default Java on your system, I am not sure how you install "openJDK", and I am not sure whether it will be installed to "/usr/bin/java". But as you mentioned you are new in Linux, I suggest you to do as below to avoid possible wrong GNU java.

1. Download Java from oracle site (download the tarball package), I have help you to find the link below:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html

(Please download the "tar.gz" file, if your system is 32bit, download "jdk-7u17-linux-i586.tar.gz", or if it is 64bit, download " jdk-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz")

You can use "uname -r" to know whether your linux is 32bit or 64bit, if 'uname -r' gives you results like "2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64", your linux is 64bit.

2. extract the tar.gz file

I assume you download "jdk-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz", you can extract with "tar" command:

tar zxvf jdk-7u17-linux-x64.tar.gz

3. Set your environment variables in "/etc/profile" or "$HOME/.bashrc" and so on

to make things easier, you may set it in "/etc/profile", just add below two lines in /etc/profile:

export JAVA_HOME=<your directory of java>/jdk-7u17/.... (this is the directory of the java your extracted in step2)
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

4. Restart your machine or log out your machine

5. check your java again with "which java", you should see results like:

#which java

<your directory of java>/jdk-7u17/java

Then you can try to start IDB in the same shell. Please let me know your testing results.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Hang_S_
Beginner

Hi Shenghong,

Thank you very much! I finally solved it! I was about to install the Oracle Java, so I remove the openjdk on my server first, and I found there are two edition on my server ! one is openjdk-6 and one is openjdk-7. So I remove openjdk-6 and tried again, this time the idb worked perfectly!

Thank you for all the help again!

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Hang,

Thank you for your update. Great to hear it is working now.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos