Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

.less files are not compiling after update

Dragan_T_
Beginner

After updating to latest Intel XDK (1995) I have experienced such error when switching to the design view of my latest project.

Both options offered can't provide a solution (Return and Edit or Restore Last Working)
I don't recall editing (at least not intentionally) any .less files. Also the project is not trivial, and some other older smaller projects open fine.

Any suggestion on how to find the reason of this error? Is the complexity just too big for the tool?

Best regards

In the log:

uib-client (1432631312297): less.cmd failed { readyState: 0,
  getResponseHeader: [Function],
  getAllResponseHeaders: [Function],
  setRequestHeader: [Function],
  overrideMimeType: [Function],
  statusCode: [Function],
  abort: [Function],
  state: [Function],
  always: [Function],
  then: [Function],
  promise: [Function],
  pipe: [Function],
  done: [Function],
  fail: [Function],
  progress: [Function],
  complete: [Function],
  success: [Function],
  error: [Function],
  statusText: 'timeout' }
uib-client (1432631312335): RELOADING
uib-client (1432631312526): uib-framework-detected app framework

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

I overlooked one. It was in that code I pasted, but I forgot to mention it.

"afui-button-group-no-dmargins.less";

That file is not resident. BUT there is a file named "afui-group-no-dmargins.less";    

I'm not sure which is correct. You can either change the inclusion so it points at that other file.  Or remove the inclusion and then insert a button group, which should get you a new file and inclusion (you can delete the button group after).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

What is the path to the project? Has it been moved or anything since you started?

Can you .zip up the project and post it so we can examine it?

0 Kudos
Dragan_T_
Beginner

Hi Chris,

No it is not the path, the project is on svn and accessed from several computers. I have tested on several computers using different paths.

Meanwhile (as I'm having one laptop and a Mac not updated to 1995 but still on 1912) I checked on earlier version of SDK on two computers and have no error.  So it has something to do with the new version.

The project name is 'h2o' in the build (I never really check what is transferred to the build system). The code of the project is not Open Source and is owned by the company, so I don't really feel like sharing all of it publicly on the forum.

Best regards

Dragan

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

What about zipping and posting just the css directory? It has all the .less files in it.  I can't debug the problem if I cannot reproduce it. 

Also, since your project is under source control, can you go backwards a few commits and see if that makes a difference? Maybe there is an older version of your project where the less files compile, and then the question could focus onto the difference between them.

0 Kudos
Dragan_T_
Beginner

If you read a bit more carefully, the same (current) source works with the older version (1912).... so trying backward makes no sense. Tried and confirmed on several computers, even v1912- no error => in-place upgrade to 1995 - error with the source intact.

I was hoping you could access my project files directly on the build system as it says (Intel) next to your name. (btw. build works with no problems)

Here you go, I zipped the css folder.
(btw I think these autogenerated less files contain some duplicate includes, etc., probably as a result of some bugs in the IDE, but I don't think it causes the problems)

Thanks for your effort!

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

The index_main.less file (and, strangely, the version in the .ignore directory) both contain these inclusions:

@import "uib_row_4.less";
@import "styles/row-height-4 -- row_height.less";
@import "afui-button-group-no-dmargins.less";
@import "uib_row_5.less";
@import "styles/row-height-5 -- row_height.less";
@import "uib_row_6.less";
@import "styles/row-height-6 -- row_height.less";
@import "uib_row_6.less";

But none of those files are resident.

Are these rows part of your project?  If not, you can delete these lines from index_main.less and you should be good to go.  But if they do exist, then you might need to recreate those files. Now if they are all just single column rows, then duplicate uib_row_3.less and rename it to be uib_row_4.less, uib_row_5.less and uib_row_6.less and edit the insides too (replacing uib_row_3 with uib_row_4, &c.).  Do the same sort of thing for styles/row-height-4/5/6.

Chris

0 Kudos
Dragan_T_
Beginner

HI Chris...

Yes, strange, and especially because these files are auto-generated, and also strange it does not result in an error in the earlier version...

Nevertheless as the styles are referenced from the index file, and missing, I have copied and edited the files accordingly - but id did not help :( as I still get the same error.

Any more suggestions? Still confused as the (still unknown) issues are only affecting current XDK version.
Sending the css folder with the files edited.

Best regards

Dragan

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

I overlooked one. It was in that code I pasted, but I forgot to mention it.

"afui-button-group-no-dmargins.less";

That file is not resident. BUT there is a file named "afui-group-no-dmargins.less";    

I'm not sure which is correct. You can either change the inclusion so it points at that other file.  Or remove the inclusion and then insert a button group, which should get you a new file and inclusion (you can delete the button group after).

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

I suspect what has happened, is that new files were created by App Designer, but they were not added to source control. The repo was updated with the _modified_ files, but not the new ones.

So when you pull the repo elsewhere, you get the files that are out-of-sync.

I'm not sure why 1912 is accepting this. It should be likewise refusing.

0 Kudos
Dragan_T_
Beginner

That seems to fix it. Thank you for the assistance.

I still wonder how that kind of situation occurred in the first place, as the files are automatically generated.

Maybe it would be nice to include a bit more debug information in the logs in order to locate such kind of errors in the future with less effort.

Best regards,
Dragan

P.S. You might be right about version control, but as you said, it does not explain why it works on older version (I have checked for existence of the files on the "1912" computer and the files are also missing).

0 Kudos
diego_m_1
Beginner

Olá estou com o mesmo problema ele fica aparecendo essa mensagem, .less its not are compiling, return and edit or restore last working. E tambem não consigo editar nada."Failed save .less".

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Diego,

Your file  css/index/styles/text -- custom.less is messed up. It is not UTF-8 encoded, and there may be other problems. 

One solution is to do these two steps

1. delete that file  ( css/index/styles/text -- custom.less )
  2. delete the inclusion of that file css/index/index_main.less (line 21)

Then remake the file.

0 Kudos
diego_m_1
Beginner

Olá, fiz os procedimentos mas o mesmo erro continua.. 

Fix the *.less files by editing them yourself or by restoring the last working set. Caution: If you restore the last working set, your recent changes to .less files will be lost.

0 Kudos