Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

no IoT Daemon available for node v4.4.3 ia32

Rich_F_
Beginner

Hi I have two almost identical Galileo systems that were working before and I dusted them off for a project.

I upgraded to Intel XDK 3759 and now when I connect to the units and it asks to upgrade the IOT daemon, I get the message: "Error installing XDK daemon, no IoT Daemon available for node v4.4.3 ia32.  Trying to find the component that's wrong and up/downgrade it i see the following:

root@galileo:~# opkg list-installed |grep mraa
mraa - 1.2.3
root@galileo:~# opkg list-installed |grep node
nodejs - v4.4.3-r1.0
nodejs-dev - v4.4.3-r1.0
nodejs-npm - v4.4.3-r1.0
nodejs4 - 0.4.12-r0
nodejs4-dev - 0.4.12-r0

So perhaps I will try to downgrade it or find a matrix of what is supported.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Rich -

I would try upgrading, not downgrading. Try to upgrade your node.js and that should work. I had a similar problem about a week ago with an Edison.

Try this link, it has some great instructions, with commands, on how to update node on your Galileo: 

https://communities.intel.com/thread/48416

Let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Kudos
Rich_F_2
Beginner

Giselle,

Firstly thank you very much for answering promptly.  I often just struggle without asking for help so your help is much appreciated.

Secondly I will use one of the routes included in the link.  Just as a free bonus question however (now I'm pushing my luck) i did do opkg upgrade and opkg update and opkg install nodejs.  Does that mean that the respository that my opkg is pointing to is also not up to date?

I looked in /etc/opkg/opkg.conf and it seems like it's pointing to a default repo.  

Thanks in advance,

Rich

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Rich -- I believe the opkg repo has not been updated, I see there is an outstanding bug report in our internal system for that component. The daemon installation process is being revised to allow for installation on devices where the daemon is not present, and to support a wider range of IoT Linux distributions. So, at the moment, the install is a node-gyp install (since there are some binary bits that are included). In order to get it to install properly on the Galileo we might have to get you some manual instructions.

In the meantime, you can probably continue by ignoring the request to upgrade the XDK daemon and just use the version that's already present. I don't believe there's any signficant functional differences, mostly some bug fixes and reworking the install process.

0 Kudos
Rich_F_2
Beginner

Hi Giselle and Paul,

thanks again!

On the first front I looked through the upgrade methods discussed in Giselle's post.  I haven't set up a bitbake environment yet and thus it seemed easier to make that a backup plan.  My primary plan was to basically wget the sources and do the build on my galileo.  This appears to be failing because when I to the tar x of the

wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v6.9.2/node-v6.9.2.tar.gz
Connecting to nodejs.org (104.20.23.46:80)
node-v6.9.2.tar.gz   100% |******************************************************| 25901k  0:00:00 ETA

the wget works, but when I do:

tar xvzf node*.gz

It appears that the shell path length or the path length supported by tar is running out of space.  See the really deeply nested files getting overwritten and the error message...

node-v6.9.2/deps/npm/node_modules/validate-npm-package-license/node_modules/spdx-expression-parse/pa
node-v6.9.2/deps/npm/node_modules/validate-npm-package-license/node_modules/spdx-expression-parse/RE
node-v6.9.2/deps/npm/node_modules/validate-npm-package-license/node_modules/spdx-expression-parse/no
node-v6.9.2/deps/npm/node_modules/validate-npm-package-license/node_modules/spdx-expression-parse/no
tar: can't remove old file node-v6.9.2/deps/npm/node_modules/validate-npm-package-license/node_modules/spdx-expression-parse/no: Is a directory
root@galileo:/#

So that method is failing too.  I suppose if I download a better environment and get a real shell rather than busyBox or a better version of Tar it might work.  But for now I'm stuck again.

I'll try to just ignore the warning from the newer XDK.  Not sure I was able to proceed.  I will let you know.

thanks

0 Kudos
Rich_F_2
Beginner

I may have figured out the problem with building from sources by downloading gnu tar and using that to get the results of the wget.  It's no longer hitting the 100 character limit and has been building for 4 hours so maybe that will fix everything.

I also am successfully using one of the two identical systems by just ignoring the error message.  So that helped too.  If the rebuild to the newer version of node.js works I'll post the exact directions here.

0 Kudos
Rich_F_2
Beginner

Rebuild ran out of storage.  Would I be better off switching to an Edison/Joule based platform?  

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Edison and Joule are more well supported and tested. These are the platforms we are using most often for our development and testing. If you can get a Joule I recommend it, over the Edison, only because the performance when using the debugger is so superior. However, it is a pricey board. The Edison works well, just a bit slow compared to the Joule.

0 Kudos
Rich_F_2
Beginner

Paul, thanks.  We can close this discussion now, you have both been a lot of help!  I'm going to move to Edison and perhaps Joule.  I have a couple of Edison systems sitting here already so I'll power them up.  Perhaps Santa will deliver me a Joule this year. :-)

0 Kudos