Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

outdoor mode did not work

ruci_s_
Beginner

Hello,

We want to use Realsense R200 depth camera in an outdoor (such as in a car). The outdoor mode in the new sdk did not work properly.

Thanks,

WonJun Sung

Researcher, Vision Lab, V-touch

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

It should work if you did not face the sun. Could you provide the details or rssdk file so we can do further investigating? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

Hi, anybody here had idea about the outdoor mode for R200?  As the structural light IR based camera, what the "outdoor" really mean and how it works?   Can we use this mode for really improve the depth image quality ? Anything we can do by ourselves by adding some little kits(hardware or software)

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

It is stereo vision.

Compared to structured light, it works better in some situations (more distance), and worse in others (featureless areas, or night).

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

How does one even set "out door mode"? Similar to Ning R., I would like to know if I can augment the scene by using an external IR light source and tell the R200 to not use its IR projection method.. 

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

The chip of Infinon and TI, based on Time of Flight, might be better chioce for outdoor, despite the lower resolution relatively.  I just wondering if we can design a chip, integrating both stereovision with light structure together, with FPGA.   Just a idea!

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

I'm thinking about to modifiy the Realsense, just a very raw image.  

Since the R200 had to camera for IR,

1, When it was used in outdoor, can we just remove the IR filter attached to the lens  then, these two camera can be used as a  biocular stereovision system.  We can use a FPGA alone or Intel SOC alone, to catch the raw RGB stream and create depth image. 

2, When it was indoor, we put the filter on, maybe a glasses-like, it can be used as R200 it design to.

Anyway, since  OmniVision's OV4682 is a RGB+IR camera, maybe this will be a good choice to outdoor/indoor usage, of course this is a new depth camera. ^_^

If this idea resonable?   

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

I was getting really good depth images outdoors, just turn the gain down to 1 and exposure down to 1-5ms. You can turn off the IR emitter if you want too, using the device class interface

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

So, that means, when turn off theIR emitter, R200 become to a conventional stereovision camera but using natural IR around the world?  

0 Kudos