Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

reference for gdb-ia

lxh37
Beginner

Hi,

I am new to gdb-ia, wonder if there is reference about how to use it for Fortran in Mac?

Thanks!

Liz

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello Liz,

we do not have a tutorial for using "gdb-ia" as it is not different to any other GNU* GDB (on OS X).

The only things that need to be known:

If you still have problems, please let me know.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
lxh37
Beginner

I have created the project in Xcode, turn on Intel Fortran Compiler XE - runtime features
"check array and string bounds", "check for null pointers and allocatable array references,
the program runs without any problem. The memory issue might not be in Fortran code?

Liying

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello Liying,

Using the compiler's checking features is not related to the debugger. The compiler instruments the code to detect common issues at runtime.

It is not guaranteed that its checks are complete. In most cases it can find common mistakes but still can deliver false negatives (i.e. errors are still present but not detected). Using such options can also affect the generated code and hence bugs could be hidden by this (so-called heisenbugs).

Finding such heisenbugs is cumbersome but tools can help (order is my preference):

• Intel(R) Fortran Compiler checking features:
    Quick and common issues are found fast
  • Intel(R) Inspector XE:
    Requires small setup but finds most issues as long as the heisenbug occurs
  • Debugging:
    Understand was is wrong; requires diligence because debugging changes the behavior of the application

I also recommend to turn off the compiler checking features when debugging (gdb-ia) because they interfere with debuggers. Use them mutually.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos