Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Creating a bootable 4 Drive M.2 NVME Raid 5 with VROC

JJr
Beginner

I'm using the Asus HYPER 4X M.2 X16 Card (which holds 4 M.2 drives) on an Asus Rampage Extreme VI X299 motherboard.

I would like to configure the 4 M.2 NVME SSD's on this HYPER M.2 X16 Card on a bootable RAID 5 array.

I have the following questions...

1. In order to create a bootable Raid 5 array I need to purchase a VROC Hardware Key for my X299 motherboard, correct?

2. Which of the Intel hardware keys do I need to purchase in order to create a bootable raid 5 array?

Intel VROC Intel SSD Only VROCISSDMOD

Intel VROC Standard VROCSTANMOD Standard hardware key needed

Intel VROC Premium VROCPREMMOD Premium hardware key needed

Some other one?

3. In order for the Raid 5 array to be bootable using this card, must the NVME SSD's be Intel SSD's Only drives?

4. If the drives need to be Intel only, what Intel M.2 NVME is the fastest and largest that you recommend for this build?

Thanks

Maxx

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Maxximvs,

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU support

In regards to your questions:
  1. In order to create a bootable Raid 5 array I need to purchase a VROC Hardware Key for my X299 motherboard, correct?
    • Yes, in order to setup a raid 0/1/5/10 array using Intel® VROC you will require the Premium key
  2. Which of the Intel hardware keys do I need to purchase in order to create a bootable raid 5 array?
    • You will need the VROCISSDMOD key since its the only key compatible with X299 systems.
  3. In order for the Raid 5 array to be bootable using this card, must the NVME SSD's be Intel SSD's Only drives?
    • Yes, Intel VROC on X299 platforms supports Intel® SSDs only.
  4. If the drives need to be Intel only, what Intel M.2 NVME is the fastest and largest that you recommend for this build?
You can browse in our https://ark.intel.com/# @SolidStateDrives intel Ark website in order to find the SSD that best suit your needs and please find an FAQ file with more information in case you want to give it a check

Best regards

Luis H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Maxximvs,

We are following on your community post since we have provided you some guidance about the requirements for Intel® VROC, but we haven't received a reply yet

Please let us know if you require further assistance

Best regards

Luis H
0 Kudos