Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
318 Discussions

Intel VROC CLI Not Returning Results

pavelsmrz
Beginner

I was directed here by Intel Support after a ticket was created by our motherboard manufacturer. We use a Supermicro X11SPL-F motherboard in a custom chassis that is embedded in our products. After some recent RAID and SSD issues our customers are asking for us to create an alarm within our software. Since users are not always in front of the monitors on our products and the task bar is hidden, changes to RAID, like a failed drive notification, may be missed. We are looking for a way to query the RAID and SSD status at regular intervals so that our custom software can send an alarm to a central location. 

I have tried using the IntelVROCCLI.exe tool but it will not return results from the controller. It will give me the version of the CLI but not the UEFI driver, UI version, or Windows Driver version. We use Win10 build 1809. We use 4 SSDs in RAID10 configuration. I have tried older BIOS version and newest BIOS version. I have tried updating the Intel VROC Windows Utility. I have made sure that the UEFI driver, CLI, UI, and Windows driver versions all match. 

The Windows Utility reports everything correctly. It is just the CLI utility that doesn't seem to be able to read or return details. 

The second question. Is there a list of specific Windows Events that are logged by the Intel VROC Windows Utility? Just exploring multiple options for solutions. 

Screenshots of the CLI tool in cmd and PowerShell. Also shown is the Windows Utility showing that the Utility does read the system correctly. 

Hopefully someone here can help me figure out why the CLI is not working as expected and what Windows Events might exist. 

pavelsmrz_0-1718739401362.png

pavelsmrz_1-1718739428845.jpeg

Thanks for your help in advance. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello pavelsmrz,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Intel community.

To assist further, kindly help us with the below details.

>Please confirm the VROC utility version 

>Please check and confirm if there any VROC hardware installed on the server

>Kindly share the SSD model

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos
pavelsmrz
Beginner

Currently as reported in the Windows utility. 

User Interface: 8.0.0.4030

SATA driver: 8.0.0.4028

Middleware: 8.0.0.4030

RAID OPROM: 8.0.0.4006

Though I just check the CLI file version in the program files folder and it was v7. I replaced it with a v8 copy I had and then the CLI worked. 

I then uninstalled the VROC utility and deleted the CLI exe. 

Restarted the computer. 

verified the utility worked however it reported a middleware version but no CLI was in the install. How is this possible. Does the installer install a CLI somewhere else that the system report is reporting? 

I copied the CLI to the program files folder and it again it doesn't return any information. 

I replaced the CLI file in the program file folder with the same file I copied from before and then the CLI worked. 

I need to be able to repeat this on hundreds of computers so now I need to know why the CLI exe needs to be copied over twice. 

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Pavelsmrz,

Greetings of the day.

Thanks for the response. Please share us the below details.

>Please check and confirm if there any VROC hardware installed on the server

>Kindly share the SSD model

>Which is the processor used.

Also, in meantime you can refer the technical specification guide for intel VROC.

Link: - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Windows-Intel-VROC-TPS-602756.pdf

Regards,

Suneesh

0 Kudos
pavelsmrz
Beginner

SSDs are Samsung EVO 870

Processor is Intel Xeon 6246

I restarted the system and the CLI does not return information again. I used ran cmd as admin and it did return a result. Does cmd need to be run as admin to get output? 

Does the VROC Utility write to Windows Event log? If so what events does it create? 

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello pavelsmrz,

Regarding Windows, there are logs that are placed in the Event Logs. They are found under Windows Logs -> Applications -> 'VROC-UI' and/or the driver name, such as IASTORe for SATA, 'iavmd' for VMD, or other.

And for Linux, the events are registered in "/var/log/messages" in details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000094694/memory-and-storage/datacenter-storage-solutions.html

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi pavelsmrz

Greetings for the day!

I hope this message finds you well.

We are still waiting for your reply.

Kindly revert back to us with the details so that we can assist you further.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Mohammed Ali CM

0 Kudos
pavelsmrz
Beginner

Thanks Irwan for the information. So there is no list of possible entries in the Event Log? Assuming no events have been written then I cannot catch events if they have not shown. Looking at the Event log only tells me what events have happened but not all the possible events. 

For the CLI, Is it known that the cmd window must be run as an Administrator? I did not see this in any documentation. The user account is an administrator. Is there a way to get the system info without the need to be run as an Administrator?

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hello pavelsmrz,

Greeting!

Thank you for your response. Please allow us some time as we are reviewing this case internally. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Suneesh
Employee

Hello Pavel,

Greetings of the day.

The Intel VROC CLI utility should be the one included in the corresponding Intel VROC package. For instance, if you are using the Intel VROC 8.0 package, then the Intel VROC CLI must also be version 8.0, which is included within the same VROC package. When installing the VROC driver, only the Intel VROC GUI application is installed. The CLI utility is a separate executable file (IntelVROCCli.exe) that does not require installation. Simply copy the executable file to the desired location and run it. You can find this information in the public article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000098984.html.

The CLI utility is designed for system administrators and should be run with administrator privileges. The Intel VROC package also includes a User Guide that explains how to run various commands using the CLI utility. The Intel VROC package should be provided by the system manufacturer if you do not already have it.

Additionally, the Windows Events you are looking for are detailed in the Intel VROC Technical Product Specification for Windows. Appendix B, "Storage System Events," includes the list of event IDs. You can find this article at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000095821.html.

Regards,

Suneesh

0 Kudos
pavelsmrz
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Suneesh. 

I have reviewed the linked document at it seems to have the possible Windows Events listed. I think that closes that question. 

For the CLI, I have received the CLI from the motherboard manufacturer. I have a some more testing to do to make sure I can replicate the instance where copying the CLI.exe the first time and try to run it, the CLI does not work. After copying and replacing the CLI.exe file then it works. I'll repeat the test a few times. I'll have some results by next Tuesday and will report back. 

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi Pavel,

Greetings from Intel.

Hope you are doing great.

Thank you for the update.

Please keep us posted so that we can proceed further accordingly.

Regards,

Mohammed Ali

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hi Pavel,

Greetings!

This is to follow up on this case. Please let us know if you have conducted the tests as informed earlier.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hi Pavel,

Greetings!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos