Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!

Problem with disks in Vroc

grix
Beginner

Hi to everyone,

I have a strange problem with disks in Dell T40.
I have 2x Intel 480GB enterprise in RAID1 and 2x WD GOLD 2TB in RAID1.

OS is Win 10 PRO. I know that T40 supports only 3 disks but I have this config in this T family from T20 and never had this issue.

Every thing worked fine until one HDD died, replaced it and rebulid RAID. Than second had problems and I replaced it.
But here problem starts...Vroc rebuilded that RAID, and shows me that first RAID1  with SSD's are not bootable and when I restart mashine it won't boot.
It boot normaly when shutdown and manual press power button, but like I said not when I restart it from Win.

Can anyone have an idea what's going on?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Johnny_V_Intel

Hello grix

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

Based on your post, we understand that you have 2 separate RAID 1. One with Intel SSDs and 1 with WD HDDs, and that after replacing both HDDs in the array, the SSD’s RAID stopped booting at least you press the power button to restart the system.

To better understand the issue, please share with us the following information:

1-Did the VROC solution came preinstalled in the system?

2-Please share with us the model of the SSD deployed in the RAID?

4-Have you contacted the system manufacturer to address this issue?

You mentioned that you did not have any issues with T20, but T40 is giving you this issue. Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) is a platform-connected application that relies on platform-level integration to work. Therefore, platform manufacturers do a lot of work to get Intel VROC operational on their platforms, and each platform implementation may be slightly different with different dependencies. For example, platform manufacturers can choose to omit certain Intel VROC features that would impact their Intel VROC installation. Or, platform manufacturers could integrate Intel VROC features into their own storage software solutions which would cause dependencies unknown to Intel.

5-Based on the image provided, we noticed that the SSD RAID 1 is not set as bootable, you need to change this setting in the BIOS VROC settings (set it a bootable), and make sure that the HDD RAID is set as non bootable. Also make sure that the boot priority in BIOS is set to boot from the SSD RAID array.

We will follow-up with you on this case again on 12/08/22, in case we don’t hear from you before that date.

Best regards

Johnny V

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
grix
Beginner

Hi,

Huh, now i don't see RAID1 SSD boot option in BIOS, so that is the problem.
I don't understand how this happened.

Vroc Is installed after Win 10 OS (older version 6xxx)
Disks are Intel SSD D3-S4620 Series 480GB.
Will update Vroc vesion to latest. Is it ok to uninstall and install new one. Could something happened in that procces with Raid?

Tnx,

0 Kudos
Johnny_V_Intel

Hello grix

Thank you for your response.

Updating the VROC version in your system may impact the current VROC SSD RAID 1 volume you have, we recommend backing up your information and also installing the appropriate driver provided by the manufacturer of your system (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/poweredge-t40/drivers).

Bear in mind that, platform manufacturers do a lot of work to get Intel VROC operational on their platforms, and each platform implementation may be slightly different with different dependencies, so it would be a good idea to corroborate with Dell* if they validate the OS version that you are using for VROC RAID in your system, and for the correct installation path for this solution.

At the following link from the OEM, you can see that the Supported Operating Systems (as per Dell EMC PowerEdge T40 Installation and Service Manual) are Microsoft Windows Server 2016, Microsoft Windows Server 2019 and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-t40/pet40_ism_pub/supported-operating-systems?guid=guid-d26af9af-0e50-4ee8-8c89-da6ef7793cf7&lang=en-us

Please be aware that the content on those websites is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® for the merchants or services offered there.

We will follow-up with you on this case again on 12/12/22, in case we don’t hear from you before that date.

Best regards

Johnny V

0 Kudos
Johnny_V_Intel

Hello grix

Greetings from Intel Customer Support.

We are following up on your inquiry, so we would like to confirm if you have contacted the OEM (Dell) to corroborate the validated operating systems for your Dell EMC PowerEdge T40.

We suggested corroborating with Dell* if they validate the OS version that you are using for VROC RAID in your syetm, and for the correct installation path for this solution.

We will proceed to close this ticket on 12/15/22, in case we don’t hear from you before that date.

Best regards

Johnny V

0 Kudos
Johnny_V_Intel

Hello grix

Greetings Intel Community Support forums.

This thread will be closed right now and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards

Johnny V

0 Kudos
grix
Beginner

Hello,

didn't catch time to resolve this problem yet, but will try to install new VROC and proceed from that further.

Thank You.

Kind regards!

0 Kudos