Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Problem with dual booting Linux and Windows 10 on my system (with intel optane).

SShuk3
Beginner

Hello

I was trying to dual boot Linux and Windows 10 on a single 1 TB hard drive and my system also has intel optane memory.

I created some free space from my C drive for ubuntu. But in the installation type screen , it does not show any partition of my hard drive.

I read here [https://askubuntu.com/questions/999934/trouble-installing-ubuntu-for-dual-boot-along-with-win-10-the-installation-type?rq=1] that it has something to do with Intel RST.

Can this problem be solved if I disable my optane memory and afterwards proceed to dual boot?

Would I be able to boot into Ubuntu again if I enable optane again ?

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why go through all the hassle of dual boot with optane, which causes enough issues without dual boot, when you can run linux on your device?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Doc

JosafathB_Intel
Hello SShuk3, Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly, please take into consideration the information below: • The usage of multiple OS when you are accelerating you HDD is not supported or validated by Intel® since you can experience unknown errors. • Based in the Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html) Operating System What operating systems does Intel® Optane™ memory support when used for system acceleration? Intel® Optane™ memory requires Windows 10 64-bit to be used as a system accelerator. Is Linux* supported when using Intel® Optane™ memory for system acceleration? No, the accelerated SATA drive must be running Windows 10 64-bit. I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel® Optane™ memory boost the performance of multiple drives? No, Intel® Optane™ memory can accelerate one SATA-based drive. We hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello SShuk3, Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support. We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case? Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello SShuk3, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos