Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

System Running Slow; RSTe Gives Error

Homeboy
Beginner

I have a Dell Precision 7820 with two SSDs RAID1 for system and programs, and four spinning drives RAID6 for data. Previously the system was running slow and it turned out one of the SSDs had failed. It was replaced and the system came back to normal. Recently one of the spinning drives failed. It was replaced and the system came back to normal. In the last few days, the system has begun to run slow again -- I thought when I was reading and writing data. But LSI MegaRAID software says the data RAID6 is normal. I ran the RSTe software (5.3.1.1016) to see if there was a problem with the system RAID1 but got an error message saying "An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application." I restarted; same problem. I did not reinstalled the software yet because Intel has several version of RSTe and I'm not sure which one to install, or even if I should have RSTe rather than RST in the first place. So next I tried to contact support, but the the form asked for info I didn't have and there was a note on it to run the Solid-State Drive Toolbox. I did that and the "Quick Diagnostic Scan" said "Completed successfully" for both Read Scan and Data Integrity. That's great, but it's not clear to me if the success is based on one or both drives. What should be my next steps? (BTW, I am an average computer user, not a technical person.)

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Homeboy 

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I received your case regarding the driver or application error, I will be glad to assist you.

How did you create/manage the RAID 1?, for example from BIOS, the RSTe window or other?

Depending on how you created the RAID 1 using the RSTe Interface may not be necessary and could be the reason why you are getting the error.

Another possibility is that you need to update the driver, I was looking at the downloads page for that system and there seems to be an update for your current version 5.3.1.1016:

- Product download page: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-7820-workstation/drivers

- RSTe driver 6.2.2.1007, A11: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=660hv&oscode=wt64a&productcode=precision-7820-workstation

In this case it may be worth checking for other updates that may be available for your system, I would also recommend checking with Dell just in case they can provide you with more detailed information tanking into consideration that you are working with their own OEM version of the driver.

If I can help you with anything else, just let me know.

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Homeboy
Beginner

I didn't set up the system so I don't know how the RAID1 was created. I'm guessing using RSTe because I seem to remember some conversation about having to install that software. But I could have mis-heard and be wrong.

When, maybe a year later,  the computer began to run slow, a different tech used the RSTe software to take a look at the array, determine that a drive had failed, gather info on which one, and to make sure the array was working properly once the defective drive had been replaced.

I followed the first driver update link and Dell did find a driver that needed to be updated. I did that and the system seems to be running somewhat faster, but I need more time with it on a variety of files to make sure. 

I followed the second link and Dell said the driver was current.

I tried to run the RSTe software and got the same error message:

Annotation 2020-08-01 212017.png

I hear you that "using the RSTe Interface may not be necessary." But if so, how do I check the health of the RAID1 system, and should a drive fail, how go I get the same info that RSTe had provided?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Homeboy.

What I mentioned regarding the GUI/Interface not being necessary, is in case the RAID is not being managed by RSTe, in that case there is no point in actually using it or having it installed.

You may be able to access the RSTe configuration from the BIOS/UEFI or via the F6 menu option during boot (depending on the system), but for this particular error if reinstalling the RSTe as instructed does not resolve the issue, the best option would be to check with the system manufacturer for more information as in this case the drive is specific for this system.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Homeboy
Beginner

I contacted Dell and they said the ball was in your court.

So let me recap and then ask two questions.

I ran the system diagnostics but it didn't specifically tell me anything about the RAID. All it said was that everything was okay. 

I downloaded and ran this installation:

- RSTe driver 6.2.2.1007, A11: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=660hv&oscode=wt64a&productco...

...but got the same error when I tried to run the RSTe software.

Annotation 2020-08-01 212017.png

So first question: Is the RSTe software and the driver the same thing? That is when I was able to see information about the RAID, was that coming from the driver? 

Second,  under apps in Win10, when I navigivate to the RSTe, I get modify and uninstall options. Modify is grayed out. Is it okay to uninstall the app and follow the link above to install it again? That is, will uninstalling the software mess up the RAID?

Annotation 2020-08-04 133317.png

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Homeboy 

Both are questions for the system manufacturer as this is not a driver provided by us, it is customized specifically for your system and directly downloaded from the Dell website. Drives may come bundled with the application to manage the drives or may be the standalone driver.

We can only provide general guidance as we do not have access to the same systems or drivers, that is the reason why I mentioned the possibility of looking for available updates for your system or trying to access the RSTe menu from via the F6 method (if available for your system) or the UEFI/BIOS. Did you try any of these other methods?

If they shared any particular details when you contacted them, please let us know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Homeboy 

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if I can help you with anything else.

If further assistance is required, just let us know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Homeboy
Beginner

One other thing. Is there a way to see a list of questions I have posted, e.g. from my profile, so that I can get to this message directly? I send and receive email on a different computer, so I don't have access to the links in email when I'm working on this other computer. I checked around the places that seemed logical to me but don't find such a list.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Once you are logged in, click on your icon/picture in the top right corner and select My Profile. In the resulting display, you will see a window providing your Activity Feed on the left. Below that, you will find a feed of your Latest Posts.

...S

0 Kudos
Homeboy
Beginner

Thanks, Scott. As I expected: "staring me in the face." I kept poking around My Intel with the white person and didn't notice the orange person. (No political jokes, please. LOL)

Annotation 2020-08-02 103342.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Darn, no chance to diss Trump some more?

BTW, you can replace your avatar - that orange person - with an avatar of a different color or you can upload a picture you would like to use as your avatar (as I have). Just click on the avatar, select My Settings and then select Avatars.

...S

0 Kudos
Homeboy
Beginner

Dear Retired One:

Yeah. I tried to do that. I found exactly what you said under "Images" in Help: 

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Go to My Settings > Avatars.
  3. Click From the Community or From Uploaded Images.
  4. Click the image to use as your personal avatar.

But after futzing around without success for way too long, I found this under "My Settings" in Help:

1. Sign in to your community account.
  2. You may choose a new Avatar after you have reached the level of Valued Contributor 1.
  3. Go to My Settings > Avatars.
  4. Choose a new avatar in one of these ways:
    • Choose an avatar from the Community collection. (Choose an avatar collection and click the avatar your want.)
    • Use an image from your Image Gallery. (Click From Image Gallery and click the image you want.) You can only use this option if you have uploaded images that have been approved.
    • If you have been granted permission, use your Facebook profile photo as your avatar. (Click From Facebook and click Set Avatar.
    • If you have been granted permission, use an image from the web. (Click From the Web and enter the URL for the image. Then, click Set Avatar.

I think it would be nice if the text under "Images" also mentioned the Contributor 1 requirement, or at least provided a cross reference to the info under settings.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So stick around and use your areas of expertise to help other folks with their issues. You'll get there in no time.

...S

0 Kudos