Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

Why did VROCISSDMOD key get so $$$$$ ?

SEric
Novice

The VROCISSDMOD key used to be about 6-8 bucks.

Now, mouser.com is listing them for $229 each!

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/VROCISSDMOD?qs=/ha2pyFaduiXuf8buq4n8kxk4oB%252b8H4ZDuWYoO8KfjaJgUUn%252bzvMNg%3d%3d https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Intel/VROCISSDMOD?qs=/ha2pyFaduiXuf8buq4n8kxk4oB%252b8H4ZDuWYoO8KfjaJgUUn%252bzvM

Is it a mistake?

I would really like to know.

If accurate, why?

Are there other distributors selling them for a reasonable price.

I'm sorry, but VROC is not worth an additional 229.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GAcke
Beginner

You can look on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Intel-Vrocissdmod-Virtual-RAID-on-VRoc-SSD/7011395595 https://www.ebay.com/p/Intel-Vrocissdmod-Virtual-RAID-on-VRoc-SSD/7011395595

However, you run the risk of not getting manufacturer warranty. You would have to check if the ebay seller is an authorized dealer. If they are not sold by an authorized dealer, Intel will not honor the warranty.

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I don't need any, as I bought 10 when they were reasonable. Still have 8, but abandoned VROC completely due to outrageously long and inconsistent boot, shut down and restart times. Intel was unable to find out why.

0 Kudos
M_Abbas
Beginner

I can buy 2 from you. I need 2 units 

VROCISSDMOD
0 Kudos
GAcke
Beginner

Even the ones on ebay are overpriced. I got my VROCISSDMOD key for about 20$ on antares pro. I knew that was more than what they were worth. My opinion is people are price gouging.

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I notice this thread has been up or over a week,

and not one answer from Intel.

Maybe if I ask again.

Why did the VROCISSDMOD go key from 8 bucks to $229?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello birdman941,

Apologies for the delay in our responce

We have checked with the store to make sure if the price is an error, however, they have confirmed that the price on the website is correct. For now we are still investigation on why the price was increase from 8 to 200.

As soon as we get an update on your question we will get back to you as soon as posible.

Best Regards
0 Kudos
SEric
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello birdman941,

Apologies for the delay in our response

The reason of the low price offered at the launch of the Intel® VROC product was an introductory price that we are now rising because it was too low to be sustainable. Intel® VROC is a platform dependent product that requires system integration with things like the BIOS, backplane and the OS. The VROC key itself is not the product, but rather the RAID solution which includes platform enablement and support. People who buy VROC keys separate from their platform will not get this support, which is important to VROC success. Raising the price encourages this channel of purchase through platform providers(OEM or Computer manufactures) so the product will continue to be enabled and supported and a quality RAID experience can be delivered to users.

Please don't hesitate to contact us back to if you require further information.

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

First, that is not how the VROC solution was presented to the marketplace.

Imho, there is so much " wrong" with the above statement,

I don' t even know where to begin.

So I won't.

That statement does, however, tell every system builder-enthusiast exactly what Intel thinks of their enthusiasm.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello birdman941,

We are sorry to hear that the statement we provided you is not what you were expecting.

We will make sure to forward you feedback to the appropriate team so they can take it in consideration for future changes

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

Seriously?

Price hiked by THIRTY times?

So are these new $229 VROC keys different than the 8 dollar keys?

Do they boot the system reliably in less than 25 seconds,

even with a couple grand worth of Optane drives?

Basically, in all honesty, VROC is dead.

Intel killed it.

No one is going to pay that price.

No one.

They will go to your competitor where it's free.

Good job guys, good job.

0 Kudos
Aaron33
Novice

The VROC upgrade keys are currently not sold anywhere. Disgrace.

0 Kudos