Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Cannot measure DRAM power

찬호_최
Beginner

Hello Intel community,

I have some questions about monitoring.

I am using E5-2670 CPU, and Intel Server Board S2600CP.

I heard that this platform can measure power consumption on CPU and DRAM respectivly, but there are a few errors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff

Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices.

S0; Consumed energy units: 1163926; Consumed Joules: 17.76; Watts: 17.80; Thermal headroom below TjMax: 65

S0; Consumed DRAM energy units: 0; Consumed DRAM Joules: 0.00; DRAM Watts: 0.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I can't find that options in BIOS. What do I do?

And secondly, although I run memory benchmark, DRAM energy are not measured like above.

What's the problem?

Hope this helps.

Chanho Choi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Unfortunately, most hardware vendors have decided not to expose these counters. You might want to file a request with your hardwarevendor to provide a BIOS that enables this feature or implements a BIOS option to enable it.
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
hi 찬호 최 , Could you please try to change the "Memory Power Optimization" option in S2600CP BIOS from "Performance Optimized" (default) to "Power Optimized" and see if you can get the DRAM energy metrics? Thanks, Roman
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos