Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Fortran on Xeon X56xx vs Xeon E56xx

hornos
Beginner
Solved: there was an optimization flag difference between one of the source files.
I have a fortran code which I compile with Intel Compiler 12.0.4 on two different machines with Xeon E5620 and X5650. The X machine produces a slightly bigger code. The code generated on the X machine runs well on both machines however the smaller code generated on the E machine produces wrong results on both. The problem is not presented if the code is built by an older 10.2 compiler.
Compiler: 12.0.4 Fortran
Flags: -O2 -xSSE4.2 -ip -ftz
Is there any difference in code generation on various Xeon processors from the same family (56xx)?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Patrick_F_Intel1
Employee
Hello hornos,
Can you elaborate on 'produces wrong results on both'?
What are the errors?
I'm not a compiler guy but I'm sure this is one of the first questions the compiler folks will ask.
Thanks,
Pat
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You could compare the compiler output files. There shouldn't be any difference, if the compiler installations and options chosen are the same. The -ip option is more likely to expose source code bugs such as data over-runs, as well as increasing the code size. -xSSE4.2 may produce smaller or slightly slower code than -xSSE4.1.
0 Kudos