Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Future of IACA?

Nathan_K_3
Beginner

IACA (the Intel Architecture Code Analyzer, https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-architecture-code-analyzer) is a wonderful tool for understanding and optimizing performance on Intel processors, and I'm surprised that it's not better known.  I'm also surprised that it's not better maintained or publicized.  

Are there plans to continue its development for future architectures?  Seeing the dedicated support forum (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-architecture-code-analyzer/) "archived" and prohibited from new posts doesn't seem like a good sign.  Is its functionality possibly being rolled into a different product?  Are bug reports still likely to be acted upon?  If so, where should they go?  

I'd love to see it stick around and continue to improve.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tim_E_
Beginner

Hello, any news from this point ? IACA is the best tool of intel ... 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Some similar functionality was added to the Parallel Studio Advisor tool .

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

IACA is by far the best tool I've seen for computation kernel development - you can iterate quickly and see the bottlenecks exactly. Once everything is balanced you check on real hardware with the performance counters. It also has the advantage of being able to test against architectures you don't have real hardware for.

Tim, do I interpret your answer correctly when I say it seems to imply that IACA will no longer be developed? Any chance of open sourcing it? I assume Parallel Studio Advisor is not a free tool. Those of us working for free on open source projects cannot always spend large amounts of money on proprietary software, but more importantly we can't require others to. I can bring the results of an IACA analysis to a discussion since anyone else can verify it. It is much tougher, outside of a commercial environment, to bring results from a proprietary tool, since the others involved often cannot reproduce it without an expensive license for said tool.

0 Kudos
Travis_D_
New Contributor II

Sorry Tim, somehow I thought you were an Intel employee, so I had read too much into your reply. My bad.

0 Kudos