Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.
1711 Discussions

How to determine if errata workarounds are implemented in a UEFI BIOS

KD000
Beginner

I am currently used a product, an embedded industrial PC, made by Advantech and it is the ARK-1550-S9A1E.  It is using the Intel® Core™ i5-4300U Processor and there is an issue I am running into with this specific processor.

With regard to the issue, there is a errata published which contains two changes:

• HSM51 Throttling and Refresh Rate Maybe Incorrect After Exiting Package C-State
  • HSM55 TM1 Throttling May Continue indefinitely

For both of the above issues, it says that the workaround is "It is possible for the BIOS to contain a workaround for this erratum", so I contacted Advantech and they sent me a new BIOS and release notes for this.  The release notes are not useful at all.  The only thing they state is: "System BIOS and full SKU ME".  Which says nothing about what was actually done or what was improved or changed. 

Since the download links to the errata/specification on Intel website have been removed, I have placed the errata here (as well as attached the files):
https://github.com/kzawad1/intel-reg-pp/raw/master/Docs/4th-gen-core-family-mobile-specification-update.pdf

Additionally, I have put the entire BIOS UEFI menu structure here (as well as attached):
https://github.com/kzawad1/intel-reg-pp/raw/master/Docs/Advantech_ARK-1550-S9A1E_v1.17_BIOS_Menu.pdf

The BIOS version and compliance information is the following:

BIOS Information
BIOS Vendor...........American Megatrends
Core Version..........4.6.5.4   0.32 x64
Compliancy............UEFI 2.3.1; PI 1.2
Project Version.......ARK C500X015
Build Date and Time...06/11/2019 12:05:22

Simply put, how can I determine if the specified workaround exists in the BIOS version that I have?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KD000
Beginner

The response I got back from the manufacturer of this device, Advantech was the following:

After confirming with our R&D team, there is no current workarounds for those Errata.  They suggested to try the following settings to see if this makes any difference.
1.    BIOS->Advanced->CPU Configuration->EIST (Enable)->Disable
2.    BIOS->Advanced->CPU Configuration->CPU C states (Enable)->Disable
3.    BIOS->Advanced->ACPI Setting->Enable Hibernation (Enable)->Disable
4.    BIOS->Advanced->ACPI Setting->ACPI Sleep State->Suspend Disable

They say that a BIOS workaround that is specified by Intel in the errata does NOT  exist.  I have made the changes in BIOS settings and I've also attached the visual view of the BIOS in PDF format.

I think now a way to know if this worked, is to give it time for testing.  I will follow up once I make more progress with testing.

0 Kudos