Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Programming PEBS Counters

Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Hi,

I was looking for ways to program PEBS counters in such a way that I can modify the PEBS-Counter Reset value to something other than zero. This is because I want to see if I can log more memory-access samples than I usually do when the counter reset value is zero. Is there any sample code or sources that I can see and understand in order to program the PEBS counters on my own ?

I have already read the Intel SDM Chapter 18 to understand how PEBS counters work and the steps involved to modify the counters. But I wanted to see some sample code that would help me to understand how it is done in code.

Best,
Arnabjyoti Kalita

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Andi's pmu-tools contain some code for PEBS. However, I must confess that I never used it so far.

0 Kudos
Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the help. Yes I saw there is a simple reference loadable kernel driver for PEBS available in Andi-Kleen's PMU tools. I hope I can use it for testing purposes.

0 Kudos