Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Programming PEBS Counters

Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Hi,

I was looking for ways to program PEBS counters in such a way that I can modify the PEBS-Counter Reset value to something other than zero. This is because I want to see if I can log more memory-access samples than I usually do when the counter reset value is zero. Is there any sample code or sources that I can see and understand in order to program the PEBS counters on my own ?

I have already read the Intel SDM Chapter 18 to understand how PEBS counters work and the steps involved to modify the counters. But I wanted to see some sample code that would help me to understand how it is done in code.

Best,
Arnabjyoti Kalita

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Andi's pmu-tools contain some code for PEBS. However, I must confess that I never used it so far.

Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the help. Yes I saw there is a simple reference loadable kernel driver for PEBS available in Andi-Kleen's PMU tools. I hope I can use it for testing purposes.