Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

QPI is either 0 or not a number

pbkenned1
Employee

I am trying to measure QPI bandwidth on a dual socket Sandy Bridge E5-2670 SGI machine.  Do the QPI counters work in PCM V2.3? 

I use pcm.x to monitor the QPI output.
Here is the output sample, and you can see that QPI is either 0 or not a number.

Intel(r) QPI data traffic estimation in bytes (data traffic coming to CPU/socket through QPI links):

QPI0     QPI1    |  QPI0   QPI1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKT    0        0        0     |  -2147483648%   -2147483648%
SKT    1        0        0     |  -2147483648%   -2147483648%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total QPI incoming data traffic:    0       QPI data traffic/Memory controller traffic: -nan

Intel(r) QPI traffic estimation in bytes (data and non-data traffic outgoing from CPU/socket through QPI links):

QPI0     QPI1    |  QPI0   QPI1

SKT    0     9223372 T   9223372 T   |  -2147483648%   -2147483648%
SKT    1     9223372 T   9223372 T   |  -2147483648%   -2147483648%

Total QPI outgoing data and non-data traffic:    0

SKT    0 package consumed 46.27 Joules
SKT    1 package consumed 44.40 Joules

TOTAL:                    90.72 Joules

SKT    0 DIMMs consumed 6.45 Joules
SKT    1 DIMMs consumed 6.03 Joules

TOTAL:                  12.48 Joules

The pcm version is:
Intel(r) Performance Counter Monitor V2.3

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Hi Patrick, QPI metrics in PCM might not work on Sandy Bridge E5-2670 if more than 1 instance of PCM is running. Please try to run just single instance. The number of instances (if > 1) is output on PCM start up. Best, Roman
0 Kudos
pbkenned1
Employee
It seems PCM starts two instances by default. How do you run just one instance? I couldn't find any documentation describing how. Thanks, Patrick
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
PCM always starts single instance. It could be that the other instance was killed/died unexpectedly not cleaning up the system instance counter properly. Stop all PCM instances and execute "rm -rf /dev/shm/sem.*Intel*PCM*" to clean up the instance counter. Hope it helps, Roman
0 Kudos
zhanhong_z_
Beginner
Roman Dementiev (Intel) wrote:

PCM always starts single instance. It could be that the other instance was killed/died unexpectedly not cleaning up the system instance counter properly. Stop all PCM instances and execute "rm -rf /dev/shm/sem.*Intel*PCM*" to clean up the instance counter.

Hope it helps,
Roman

Hi Roman, I did the following command and restart pcm tool rm –rf /dev/shm/sem.*Intel*PCM* but i got some error: ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices. ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P1_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices. ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices. ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P1_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices. Max QPI link speed: 16.0 GBytes/second (8.0 GT/second) I couldn't find any option to export the performance monitor, the mother board is Intel® Server Board S2600JF. Is it possible to enable it? Thanks, zhao
0 Kudos