Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Query for Performance counter usage on Sandy Bridge Architecture. Number of stalls > Number of clock cycles

Rakhi_H_
Beginner

Hello All,

I am using PAPI 5.1.0 for doing some performance counter analysis on a Sandy Bridge Machine having 2 processors each with 6 cores.
I am using events 

CPU_CLK_UNHALTED,  

RESOURCE_STALLS:ANY, 

UOPS_DISPATCHED:STALL_CYCLES,

UOPS_ISSUED:STALL_CYCLES.

I run 6 copies of a test program (with only 1 copy invoking PAPI) on 6 physically different cores (sharing main memory) using taskset and get the following output. As can be seen, Dispatch stall cycles and Issue stall cycles are  greater than cpu_clk_unhalted cycles. Is this type of data possible or am I doing some thing wrong?

CPU_CLK_UNHALTED,                          27494626969,

RESOURCE_STALLS:ANY,                    23483871000, 

UOPS_DISPATCHED:STALL_CYCLES, 28114602519

UOPS_ISSUED:STALL_CYCLES.           31941881082

Many regards,
Rakhi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Please check this link : http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe-2011-documentation

IIRC per clock cycle can be retired up to 4 uops.It seems that your cpu spent a lot of time waiting it could be memory stalls or data dependencies or long latency instructions or even branch misprediction.

0 Kudos
Rakhi_H_
Beginner

Yes! The test program has a of memory stalls. 

I was referring to figure 2 and 3 in "Performance Analysis Guide for Intel® CoreTM i7 Processor and Intel® XeonTM 5500 processors" By Dr David Levinthal PhD. Version 1.0.

I now realize that the model is a simple, serialized model, where as the processor is complicated. As many instructions can be issued and dispatched in a single clock cycle ( ~4), the stalls reported is a sum of stalls on all paths? Hence the numbers are greater than expected.

Am I correct? 

Thanks again,

Rakhi

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

As front end is serialized reading binary encoded bitstream(in reality probably coupled with an additive noise) the decoding stage will break down machine code instructions coupled with data into simplier more primitive instructions micro-ops and try to exploit instruction level parallelism moreover cpu will try to keep busy its pielines by executing out-of-order for example during the memory stalls or even prefetching some data needed ahead of time.

0 Kudos
Rakhi_H_
Beginner

Ok. I think I understand now. Thanks a ton

Rakhi

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You are welcome:)

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Btw can you post branching related counters output?

0 Kudos