Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

[SOLVED] Safe access to MSR IA32_PRED_CMD

CyrIng
Novice

Hello,

In the SDM, the MSR IA32_PRED_CMD (0x49) can be read if CPUID(EAX=07H, ECX=0):EDX[26] equals 1

For example, processor Xeon W3690 of architecture Westmere/Gulftown, microcode version 31, is capable of IBRS & IBPB, according to the EDX register of CPUID leave 7. However, reading the MSR 0x49 will immediately crash processor [whereas MSR IA32_SPEC_CTRL (0x48) works as specified]

FYI, same issue has been encountered with a i7-6700 Skylake processor

Question: what are the discriminant bits to safely read the MSR IA32_PRED_CMD ?

Thank you

Cyril

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CyrIng
Novice

Registers MSR_IA32_PRED_CMD and MSR_IA32_FLUSH_CMD are write-only

McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

What kind of crash do you mean?  (Cleverly not testing this myself, just in case....)

CyrIng
Novice

My driver was seg-faulting because reading this MSR. I fixed it by writing only the register. 

McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

Thanks!  That sounds like the normal fault condition for a non-readable MSR (or for writing to any bits of an MSR that is not writable).  

I thought that Intel had configured the "write-only" MSRs to be readable (returning zero), but apparently not all of them!