Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.
1711 Discussions

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi everybody, I have a new system ( 64-bit WIndows 7 Professional / Intel i7-3840QM CPU / 4 cores ) and every time the system is booted there are 8 warning messages in the Event Log: The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. ... The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
@Sergey I would like to advise you do not relay on Mathematica 8 to perform various calculation with the help of CUDA.You are restricted to handful of wrapper functions.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Did you try to use /3GB switch in the Boot.ini file?>>> No.Sadly I'm busy with learning MFC programming. Btw. What was your main source of learning Windows system programming I mean books or MSDN? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>...Now I got it properly, I'm ready for your test:) Excellent! I'll create as simple as possible test-case by Saturday. Please test / verify the '/3GB' option because you need to use it. Thanks. >>...I would like to advise you do not relay on Mathematica 8 to perform various calculation with the help of CUDA... I don't have it anyway. >>...I'm busy with learning MFC programming... >> >>Btw. What was your main source of learning Windows system programming I mean books or MSDN? MSDN, Microsoft's examples and, of course, different software projects ( several my own and many others when working for different software companies ). Good Luck with MFC!
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>MSDN, Microsoft's examples and, of course, different software projects ( several my own and many others when working for different software companies ). >>> There is a great book on Win system programming "Windows System Programming" by Johnson M. Hart, do you have that book?. >>>Excellent! I'll create as simple as possible test-case by Saturday. Please test / verify the '/3GB' option because you need to use it. Thanks.>>> I will be out of my parent's home for two days and I won't be connected to the Internet so you will get my response in monday. >>>Good Luck with MFC!>>> Thanks I need to learn MFC in order to write GUI programs.If I could I will be very glad to stay with the old procedural paradigm programming and console output.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>>>...Now I got it properly, I'm ready for your test:) >> >>Excellent! I'll create as simple as possible test-case... I was too busy during last a couple of days and I hope to complete it today.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I was too busy during last a couple of days and I hope to complete it today.>>> Thanks.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Excellent! I'll create as simple as possible test-case... >> >>I was too busy during last a couple of days and I hope to complete it today. Finally done and will posted shortly.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, Please take a look: Forum topic: Address Windowing Extensions ( AWE ) technology on Windows platforms with Intel CPUs Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/344931
0 Kudos