Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

utility similar to Perf stat in old linux kernals e.g. 2.6.18

Rupinder__V_
Beginner

IS there any utility or any method to gets the no. of instructions, cache misses on linux kernal 2.6.18.  Perf stat is not there on these kernals. I want the results similar to perf stat for Tomcat apllication. Does have not tested oprofiler, is it good for profiling java Application servers .

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Intel Performance Counter Monitor should work on older Linux kernels. It can monitor the number of instructions, cache misses for core/socket/system.
0 Kudos
Rupinder__V_
Beginner
Hi Roman, I have downloaded PCM but there is no manual for it. I am not able to use this package on linux. It will be help full if you provide some instructions to install and run the utility. I want to get the data for apache tomcat by giving its PID , as done in the case of perf utility. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III
The "perfctr" kernel patch is available for 2.6.18 Linux kernels. I use it on both Intel and AMD systems to provide low-level performance counter access for higher-level tools like PAPI. The "perfctr" package comes with several examples. I don't see one that attaches to a running process, but there is a "perfex" example that launches jobs and collects counter values for that job and a "global" example that reads the counters on all cores.
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Hi, for PCM under Linux just type "make" in the main directory and run just build pcm.x utility to run in the background to your application and collect the processor metrics. PCM does not attach to process, it is a "processor resource"-centric tool. Roman
0 Kudos