Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7472 Discussions

7260 AC does not show "AC"

ESpoo
Beginner

Win7 Pro x64 identifies it properly as Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 but 'properties' show no AC details or functionality. I've tried HT and VHT both - no AC connection.

NETSH also does not show "AC" band...

netsh>wlan show driver

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Vendor : Intel Corporation

Provider : Intel

Date : 10/14/2013

Version : 16.6.0.8

INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem54.inf

Files : 3 total

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\NETwsw02.sys

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwfw02.dat

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes

Hosted network supported : Yes

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

Shared WEP-40bit

Shared WEP-104bit

Shared WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open Vendor defined

Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

Shared WEP-40bit

Shared WEP-104bit

Shared WEP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

IHV service present : Yes

IHV adapter OUI : [00 80 86], type: [00]

IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {1bf6cb2d-2ae0-4879-a7aa-a75834fbd0e3}

IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

netsh>?

0 Kudos
44 Replies
CBen
Beginner

Hello. Warning - I'm a bit technically challenged. My new HP Spectre Ultrabook came with this same Wireless AC 7260 adapter and I've been having problems since day one. HP website does not have the updated drivers (last version they have is 16 - lovely). Here's that netsh page info:

Whenever the computer is started up the network connection is gone (red X kind of gone). The only way to get online from there is to disable the adapter then re-enable it. Weird but it at least gets me online. Once online I have all the other issues people have with this card. The only solution (from another forum) that has worked so far is to change the VHT mode to 'disabled,' which has worked so far, at least better than any other troubleshooting advice I've tried. It's slower but better than nothing.

This computer was expensive and I want it working properly - no band-aid solutions like I have now. Do I need a brand new card - one that isn't AC? If so, what kind? I don't care about AC-schmacy-whatever-speed if that means getting it fixed right. Or is there another option that will solve the problem permanently?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Disabling VHT mode means disabling 802.11ac which is why it doesn't show on netsh. BTW, HT/VHT mode works fine on my laptop without issues whatsoever.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Yeah, one of the Intel guys here also confirmed that Windows 7 doesn't display as "AC" even though it is supporting an AC connection. I see this on my Thinkpad: 750-866 Mbps in the vicinity of the router, while netsh doesn't show it.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

cbnepa wrote:

Hello. Warning - I'm a bit technically challenged. My new HP Spectre Ultrabook came with this same Wireless AC 7260 adapter and I've been having problems since day one. HP website does not have the updated drivers (last version they have is 16 - lovely).

Or is there another option that will solve the problem permanently?

Don't sweat the driver number. I'm still using v16.6 since it came out about a year ago, because it's the one that has consistently worked. Later versions have had failures to resume from sleep, for me, anyway, and so I've always reverted to 16 after trying out the latest and greatest.

Solving the problem permanently? That's the issue of the day. Look at all the threads here on this forum. Most are variations on the same themes for the N or the AC adapters, either: not waking up, or dropping connections, or connecting slowly.

There are solutions, though. Unfortunately for many, however, these solutions sometimes depend on the router or modem to which you're connecting. I'm pretty sure, from reading here, that some access points are simply not going play nicely with the latest Intel parts, if they play at all. That might be part of your problem.

In addition, there are multiple settings in the advanced properties of the adapter that have to be gotten right. And, the setting combos are not always the same for everyone, that's another thing that makes this problem so frustrating. Note that the settings can change slightly between driver versions. The routers, too, have settings that have to be just right to get full throughput and steady connections.

At a minimum, VHT should be on. Ad hoc QoS should be WMM enabled, on your adapter and the router. Channel width settings for both bands should be on "Auto". And in Power Mgt, allow the computer to turn off the device should be enabled--if I disable that, my adapter is offline (red X) when I wake up the PC. Also, as mentioned, if you have your router set to use TKIP encryption, you'll never get higher than 54 Mbps. Use WPA2 AES Personal instead. This list is not all-inclusive.

I'm using 16.6.0.8 with the AC 7260 and connection to an AC modem router with Broadcom firmware. My ThinkPad BIOS is NOT the current version, and neither is the firmware in the router. I don't update firmware in any device if the release notes don't describe a problem that I'm having.

So the takeaway is, you have to tweak this wireless adapter, and that rubs some people the wrong way. The standard troubleshooting tips of using the most current driver, and updating BIOS and firmware, are NOT necessarily going to be effective for everyone because of the sheer number of variables involved (settings and hardware combos) in the equation.

This adapter part will work--they're not inherently defective. They're just a pain in the @ss to get set up right, if they're going to work well. And that may depend on hardware and network that is beyond your control.

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner

Thank you so much for your reply. Most of the settings you suggested I had already tried or were in place, including WPA2 AES Personal and it never got over 48. I learned that the driver version isn't an issue so reinstalled a 16 version which worked better than the 17 one I had. The newest 17.12 ? didn't work.

I tried the tweaking but am one of those people who think when you pay this much for a product that it shouldn't have to be tweaked. And this tweaker doesn't know what she's doing anyway, which doesn't help matters. They should start sending these with tweak sheets for those technically challenged.

Fortunately, I have another laptop to use with a different card and it has no connection problems. After trying so many things, yesterday I decided to undergo the torture of calling CS since it's still under warranty. After a painful, 48-minute call speaking with two different people, I decided to send them back the laptop to repair it once and for all. Prayers welcome.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

cbnepa wrote:

I tried the tweaking but am one of those people who think when you pay this much for a product that it shouldn't have to be tweaked. ...

I decided to send them back the laptop to repair it once and for all. Prayers welcome.

Yeah, it's a problem. The laptops you pay a big chunk for come with these adapters which you get for a song if you buy one standalone. When it doesn't work, it can sour you on the whole kit.

Prayers won't help you. The CS guy will be trying the same tweaks and combos that everyone else here is wrestling with. He's probably reading this forum because he'll be looking at yet another one that won't connect or stay on.

Edit to another tweak that I do: Uninstall ProSet from Control Panel. Let Windows manager your wifi. I use generic drivers called Administrators Set drivers that I get here from Intel. No overhead, just what the hardware wants to establish itself. No guarantees with that, though. If HP or whoever adds something of their own to the driver package, you'll go without that way. But it's yet another tweak that might mean something for you as far as getting the thing going.

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner

Why can't they just put another non-AC card in it? I think I read something about white-listing? and that I couldn't swap out the card on my own. That's just plain evil.

I would be willing to buy another router if you think that could be the issue, even though it still works perfectly with the other laptop.

Thanks for your help. I wish I knew more so I could help myself better, but I'm still reading and trying to learn this stuff.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Whitelisting only applies to Lenovo or some HP models. You don't have to get a non-AC card. Anyways, there are other manufacturers of internal WiFi cards that are not Intel. Most routers are Broadcom based so you can get a internal Broadcom WiFi card if you want and they're cheaper than Intel too but they have less range (1 - 2 bars less at farther range) than Intel cards since I own one. Both Broadcom and Intel WiFi cards are EXTREMELY STABLE in my environment and both are connected right after the laptop wakes up from sleep.

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner

My laptop is an HP Spectre Ultrabook. If they can't fix it I'll be trying these suggestions. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

It's ultrabook so it'll be a pain to disassemble that. Also, I'm betting it has the dreaded NGFF form factor which Intel cards dominate. You can get a NGFF Broadcom but they're priced way higher due to limited quantities as Intel have complete dominance with this form factor.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

thevets, I think that you and I are the only two still posting here who have working AC cards.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

GattoNero wrote:

thevets, I think that you and I are the only two still posting here who have working AC cards.

Sure there a lot of people out there but it's obvious they won't post here if they don't experience problems

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

I'm sure.

I stay here waiting for a driver to show up that starts getting success generally rather than sporadically. Although I now strongly suspect that it's more than just a driver. I do believe that some routers/modems just won't support or fully support this card.

Anyway, it's the train wreck phenomenon: can't stop watching.

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner

Besides totally sucking, I'm not sure what that means. Okay you two - given the info you have - if this were your new computer what would you ultimately do?

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner

OR what should I do based on my limited technical knowledge?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

If it's a new computer, most people would just want the most convenient solution: return and get a new one without the Intel WiFi adapter.

Some people like me prefer to just clean install and then change the WiFi card when they feel it's not stable even if the computer is new.

0 Kudos
CBen
Beginner
0 Kudos
cd
Beginner

Hi, I also have the 7260AC adapter, in my Dell E5530 laptop. It's only connecting at 802.11n and not 802.11ac. I have the most recent drivers for it but ac is not showing up. Any ideas on how to get fix this. Here is the netsh:

netsh>wlan show interface

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Wireless Network Connection 3

Description : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

GUID : 16db8362-0072-402f-a853-3e2ba5f4df9a

Physical address : fc:f8:ae:e0:b2:85

State : connected

SSID : HOME-0272

BSSID : 98:6b:3d:91:02:70

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal

Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Auto Connect

Channel : 11

Receive rate (Mbps) : 300

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 300

Signal : 80%

Profile : HOME-0272

Hosted network status : Not started

netsh>wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection 3

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Vendor : Intel Corporation

Provider : Intel

Date : 12/8/2014

Version : 17.13.11.5

INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem10.inf

Files : 3 total

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwsw02.sys

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwfw02.dat

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes

Hosted network supported : Yes

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

Shared WEP-40bit

Shared WEP-104bit

Shared WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open Vendor defined

Vendor defined Vendor defined

Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

Shared WEP-40bit

Shared WEP-104bit

Shared WEP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Thanks

0 Kudos
DPath1
Beginner

I have this "Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC" installed in my NUC. I have connected my Securifi ac router to FIOS router which has 15-25mbps speed.

I have checked with interface command and it shows me 802.11 ac under radio type. but still it shows me 240 mbps speed under wireless properties.

How do I get max speed.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

What does windows status say about the connection?

0 Kudos
DPath1
Beginner

It says 802.11ac. I have picture taken but it is not allowing to attach more than 2.0mb. But here is the netsh screen look like:

Name : Wi-Fi

Description : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

GUID : ab2845f9-95c7-49a7-b1a5-e1080c7977e0

Physical address : a0:a8:cd:e8:08:a5

State : connected

SSID : almond5G

BSSID : e4:71:85:30:ba:08

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11ac

Authentication : WPA2-Personal

Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Auto Connect

Channel : 149

<strong style="mso-no-proof: yes; mso-bidi-font-family: 'T...

0 Kudos