Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

AC 8260 Windows 10 5ghz Hotspot showing only 144mbps max

JarekD
Beginner

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up my laptop as wi-fi hotspot for Oculus Quest but for some reason the bandwidth refuses to go over 144mbps instead of the promised 866mbps. 
Bluetooth is off. All the adapter configuration settings seem to be ok (a/b/g dual channel, 802ac).
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JarekD, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance for this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Router or Access Point?

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your computer:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JarekD
Beginner

What is the model of the Router or Access Point?

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 (i'm guessing in m.2 slot)

What is the model of the motherboard?

Laptop motherboard = no idea

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

ASUS ROG G752VS

Is this a new computer?
Most definitely not a new computer

Was it working fine before?
Never used it as a Wi-fi hotspot before

When did the issue start?
First try

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?
No

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?
Installed

Which Windows* version are you using?

WIndows 10 build: 10.0.18363

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Home

SSU file enclosed.

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JarekD, Thank you very much for providing that information and the report.

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's web site and the latest Wireless driver available in there is version V1.0.0.5, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below, once you get the chance, test it along with the Oculus Quest and let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS/HelpDesk_Download/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello JarekD, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
JarekD
Beginner

Sorry for the delay.

Official asus drivers made it impossible to hotspot in 5ghz for some reason. 
Uninstalled and installed the ones from intel website and well... it helped and it didn't.

Virtual desktop on quest recognizes full bitrate now but it works with huge latency, is super stutttery,  basically unusable. 
Using my 433mbps router nearby doesn't give me those problems but warns about lower bitrate (866 is recommended/required)

I'm guessing the problem must be elsewhere now. I'll keep looking. 

Thank you for your time. Really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

JarekD, You are very welcome, no problem at all, thank you very much for sharing those details.

At this point, since you already tested both, the Intel® and ASUS Wireless drivers, as a next step, you can always try to get in contact directly with Oculus support, to report this scenario, to confirm if they might have a possible solution for it, if possible for them to try to replicate this scenario or if necessary to provide the warranty options in the case there is a hardware defect with their product as well:

https://support.oculus.com/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos