Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

AC 8265 slow internet speed

Mansat
Beginner

On a Dell 7290 laptop, I am seeing extremely reduced connection speeds. As an example - on same Wireless network, one laptop gets speed of close to 600 MBPS, whereas this other laptop only gets around 100 MBPS. 

I have updated wireless drivers, but it did not help. 

I also should add that I have seen and tried few suggestions on the other threads to uninstall driver, install latest drivers etc. And none of them have helped. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Mansat, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Mansat
Beginner

Hi, 

see below replies to your questions. 

What is the model of the Router? - Xfinity XFi router

Is this a new computer? - Not a new computer

Was it working fine before? - Did not test until recently

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes? - No

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer? - It came with the computer

When did the issue start? - It may have been going on for some time, I just did not test the speed until recently. 

Which Windows* version are you using? - Windows 10

Does the problem happen at home or work environment? - At home

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Mansat, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to confirm, is the problem the same when using the wired Internet connection?

What is the distance between the Router and the laptop that is showing the issue?

What is the model of the wireless adapter installed on the laptop that is working properly?

Where or which application did you use to test the Internet speed?

In reference to the model of the Router, does it have a specific model number besides "Xfinity XFi router"?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Mansat
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Here are answers to your questions -

Just to confirm, is the problem the same when using the wired Internet connection? Yes, I see same problem using wired connection from this laptop.

What is the distance between the Router and the laptop that is showing the issue? It is approx 6-8 feet

What is the model of the wireless adapter installed on the laptop that is working properly? - It has same adapter - AC8265

Where or which application did you use to test the Internet speed? - I use speedtest.net website for speed test

In reference to the model of the Router, does it have a specific model number besides "Xfinity XFi router"? I tried to lookup, but I dont see any specific model number on it.. It is just a modem+Router I got from Comcast.

Thanks

Manish

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Mansat, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Just to let you know, the fact that the issue also happens when using the wired connection indicates that there might be a problem related to hardware with the laptop itself, with a component in the system.

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in Dell's web site and the latest Wireless driver version they have available is 21.110.2.1, A05. Is that the Wireless driver version currently installed? If not please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-12-7290-laptop/drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Mansat, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Mansat
Beginner

I did download and install the latest driver from Dell. But that did not help. 

And I agree, that there may be something on my laptop causing this. But how can I dive deeper and find out what is causing the slowdown? Is there any diagnostic tool you can suggest? 

For e.g. tool to find out what software/hardware on my laptop is causing the slowdown

Thanks

Manish

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Mansat, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

In regard to your question, Intel® does not have a tool currently to detect or confirm what software/hardware component is causing the slowdown issue on the laptop.

However, Dell does have a tool to do that, so what we recommend to do next will be to get in contact directly with them so they can provide all the details about their tool in order for you to be able to use it:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=products

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos