Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

AC 9560 cannot be started - code 10

TJoki1
Beginner

After reviewing all threads on AC 9560 still got no effect trying to resolve the problem.

If anyone has an "effective" idea PLS share.

Last SSU scan attached.

THX in advance.

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello gingerbread60,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are getting an error code -10 with your wireless adapter.

Regarding this, I have compiled a few steps that you can try to fix the issue at hand, please refer to the information below:

1. Restart your computer if you haven't done so already. The error Code 10 you're seeing could have been caused by a temporary problem in Device Manager or with the hardware. If so, a reboot might fix the Code 10 error.
  2. Remove any hardware you may added to the computer prior to the error message. There could be a device causing a hardware conflict or compatibility issues. Did you install a device or make a change in Device Manager just before the Code 10 error appeared? If so, it's possible that the change you made caused the Code 10 error. Undo the change if you can, restart your PC, and then check again for the Code 10 error.
  3. Perform a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html clean installation of drivers. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the device is a likely solution to a Code 10 error. Notice that Properly reinstalling a driver is not the same as simply updating a driver. A full driver reinstall involves completely removing the currently installed driver and then letting Windows install it over again from scratch.
  4. Update the drivers for the device. It's also very possible that installing the latest drivers for the device could correct the Code 10 error, even if these drivers were previously functional.
  5. Another possibility, while not very likely, is that the device is not compatible with your version of Windows. You can always check with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
  6. Something else that could be tried is to reset the BIOS settings, this can be done by accessing the BIOS itself and looking for the option to get the BIOS settings back to default, you can get more information and assistance by contacting the manufacturer which in this case is Asus*.
  7. As a last resource, if you're positive that a hardware problem isn't causing the Code 10 error, you could try a repair install of Windows. If that doesn't work, try a clean install of Windows. I don't recommend doing either before you replace the hardware, but you may have to give them a try if you're out of other options.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello gingerbread60,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are getting an error code -10 with your wireless adapter.

Regarding this, I have compiled a few steps that you can try to fix the issue at hand, please refer to the information below:

1. Restart your computer if you haven't done so already. The error Code 10 you're seeing could have been caused by a temporary problem in Device Manager or with the hardware. If so, a reboot might fix the Code 10 error.
  2. Remove any hardware you may added to the computer prior to the error message. There could be a device causing a hardware conflict or compatibility issues. Did you install a device or make a change in Device Manager just before the Code 10 error appeared? If so, it's possible that the change you made caused the Code 10 error. Undo the change if you can, restart your PC, and then check again for the Code 10 error.
  3. Perform a https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html clean installation of drivers. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the device is a likely solution to a Code 10 error. Notice that Properly reinstalling a driver is not the same as simply updating a driver. A full driver reinstall involves completely removing the currently installed driver and then letting Windows install it over again from scratch.
  4. Update the drivers for the device. It's also very possible that installing the latest drivers for the device could correct the Code 10 error, even if these drivers were previously functional.
  5. Another possibility, while not very likely, is that the device is not compatible with your version of Windows. You can always check with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
  6. Something else that could be tried is to reset the BIOS settings, this can be done by accessing the BIOS itself and looking for the option to get the BIOS settings back to default, you can get more information and assistance by contacting the manufacturer which in this case is Asus*.
  7. As a last resource, if you're positive that a hardware problem isn't causing the Code 10 error, you could try a repair install of Windows. If that doesn't work, try a clean install of Windows. I don't recommend doing either before you replace the hardware, but you may have to give them a try if you're out of other options.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TJoki1
Beginner

Hi.

THX for quick reply.

Resetting BIOS to factory defaults helped

Best regards

0 Kudos
smisr3
Beginner

Hey dude what did u do . Can u pls tell me in detail . I'm having the exact same problem and looking for a solution which doesn't include resetting the whole system.​

0 Kudos
dorcom
New Contributor I

Welcome and join the club of Intel's notorious error code 10

Read my post from Dorcom it might at least give you a clue perhaps even help you!

0 Kudos
JackDany
Beginner

Just want to second this. 

I think this issue sprung up again after the latest Windows update and I spent hours trying to resolve it.  Resetting BIOS from here did the trick.

0 Kudos
dorcom
New Contributor I

Just posted a lengthy message about this defective driver issue (code 10)

It is currently still in the "moderator approval state".

I went to everything possible and impossible and it does not work. Yet the Wi-Fi card does work i.e. for example starting up Hiren WinPE via an USB stick.

The problem in my case emerged about a year ago after some Windows update.

Suggesting a clean install of Windows is the same thing as the brute force approach a contractor tearing down your house because the front door jams on occasion...

I think it's time that you Intel engineers go down the rabbit hole together with Asus and Microsoft to effectively address this issue!

dorcom
New Contributor I

Welcome and join the club of Intel's notorious error code 10

Read my most recent post, it might at least give you a clue perhaps even help you to get this Kabuki Theater restarted!

Don't go for the last web wide -we have no clue- therefore reinstall Windows if addictive updating doesn't help!  The most ill-advised and irrelevant of all the advisory out there.

0 Kudos
dorcom
New Contributor I

UNSOLVED [code10] flaw discovered.
Some facts & findings.

This is going to be a long post.  I encourage you to read it because I discovered a few things.
This notorious problem is now going into the 2nd year and I had to resort to buying a while ago a USB plug-in Wi-Fi adapter.
This is not what I bargained and paid for and the liability to resolve this lies with 3 or at least one of the  “troika” companies; Microsoft, Intel and Asus.

What the 3 aforementioned do best is to give you from boilerplate replies, no responses to incompetent, immaterial and irrelevant answers i.e. “reinstall Windows”.

There is evidently a software/configuration/BIOS related driver/cfg defect, most likely introduced with one of Microsoft Windows's notorious "shove it down your throat whether you want/need it or not" updates, Intel and/or Asus driver software. I have tried ANY Microsoft, Asus or Intel driver, from the oldest back from 2018 to the newest as of 03/29/2023 V 22.220.0.4

Windows OS is up-to-date; 19045.2965.

I bought in late December 2018 an ASUS Q536F performance laptop. The laptop came with Windows 10 Home which I then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Everything worked fine for a couple of years including all notorious Windows updates until one day, roughly some 2 years ago, after a Windows update the notorious code 10 problem started.

Certain fact is: It is not a hardware issue. Whenever in a blue moon I get the Wi-Fi ( Intel AC9560) to work --after some multiple ritualistic procedures and forced hard  reboots-- it works perfectly. As long as I do not shut down the laptop and only close it into hibernation.  Even then, the longer I don't use the laptop, the more likely it comes out of hibernation once again with the Wi-Fi not working. Code 10.

It is a driver/cfg issue.

The conflict [in my case] starts often with Bluetooth (BT).  If I get the Wi-Fi card to work the Intel wireless Bluetooth shows code 10.  If I reinstall “update” the Bluetooth driver (22.120.0.3), it installs and everything is working… Unless I power down.  As mentioned before hibernation kind of preserves all [maybe].

But if I restart, the problem is back.  No Wi-Fi, [code 10 or 28] [there are no compatible drivers for this device] and BT also [code 10] [status device power failure].  As “an added bonus” A new device error (C) under universal serial bus controllers: [Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)].

If I uninstall in device manager the Bluetooth driver and/or the Intel Wi-Fi driver and reboot it comes up the same with under “other devices” a yellow triangle “network controller”.  Sometimes it works An update attempt over a network connection to update the drivers, network controller first, Windows is unable to find or install.  

If I go to Windows update, it shows the updated driver “Intel-net-01/04/2018 12:00:00 AM - 20. 30.0.7”

If I attempt to update the BT driver first “the best driver for your device already installed”.  If I go to update, same aforementioned Intel driver.  Result is: (A) “network adapters Intel®wireless-AC 9560” [code 10] and BT also [code 10]

No go.  Regular restart: no go. All SOS.

If I shutdown & restart and go (B) into the BIOS and select “restore defaults” followed by “save changes” followed by “save changes and exit” sometimes, in a blue moon, all works again, Maybe.

More likely almost 100% certainty is upon restart the same problem is back as mentioned in (A).

If I (C) shutdown & restart and immediately hard reset* and restart and then do procedure (B) it sometimes works but then I have usually no Bluetooth or have Bluetooth but no Wi-Fi despite other network settings and under “universal serial bus controllers” it’s: [Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)].

If I uninstall in device manager the Intel driver including “delete device driver files” in device manager it installs a 2019 version 21.10.2.2 but also with [code 10] and error (C).  The restart yields nothing.

But if I go into a hard reboot and (B) BIOS it sometimes once in a blue moon works.  Maybe.

I do a device update installs the latest Intel drivers (22.220.0.4) and Bluetooth and we’re back to square one. No go.

Finally, using Drive Store Explorer (https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases) and deleting all Intel Wi-Fi network and BT related drivers, and do a (C) and (B) all his honeymoon again and works!

Installed is Intel Wi-Fi driver 05/13/2019 version 21.10.2.2 but no BT!

A conventional shutdown and restart and Wi-Fi is still working!  Going to Windows update Intel "Inet driver 01/25/2022  22.120.0.3" is installed and Bluetooth available.

Do another conventional shutdown and restart and were back to square one: No go! [code 10]!

This is sufficient proof that it is not a hardware problem but it is a driver conflict/incompatibility issue created by one of the three (probably Microsoft) messing this up with an update once upon a time.  They are responsible for it and they must be held accountable!

BTW. All this nonsense does not happen if I plug in an external Wi-Fi/BT device!

I wasted many days and hours with this. I'm seriously thinking about this evolving into a legal matter as this defect was created, is a driver/configuration issue and has never been corrected. Considering the thousands, tens of thousands of users who have this [code 10] problem with the Intel Wi-Fi, independent on what hardware their Intel Wi-Fi is installed.

*Mind you that all forced hard reboots are accompanied with a nasty forceful screeching sound of the HDD (which is still error-free…)

0 Kudos
dorcom
New Contributor I

I have this error code 10 with the built-in/integrated Wi-Fi, an Intel AC 9560, like so many others as well. In my case the laptop is a Asus Q536F.

This widespread and notorious problem is worth to become a class-action. Especially when you're somewhere traveling and all you end up with is this dysfunctional nonsense and you're up high and dry without connectivity including some life-threatening emergency situations!

I'm very disappointed about Intel and the irresponsible rather lame excuses and explanations a typical merry-go-round circus clown show  of "answers".

This also applies of course to Asus and never mind authoritarian Lord Microsoft. One blames the other like playing a threesome ping-pong. I had to go out and buy an extra USB Wi-Fi to plug-in to have connection. That is not what I bargained for.

Just ask yourself if you had a car who had such a relative problem how long would you put up with it?

The issue I have found is a conflict with a USB port [access] and Bluetooth driver.

Synchronous with the error code 10 of the Wi-Fi card, the following errors also show in device manager:

AC 9560 error code 10 "the device cannot start"

universal serial bus controllers - "unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)"

Bluetooth not present, does not exist, not installed.

Any (Intel) driver updates only aggravates and worsens the situation. the approach is more like "let's throw everything at it and see what sticks".

The problem started about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago after Windows 10 Pro [one of the many "enforced"] update.

Before that it worked flawlessly,the same laptop, the same OS etc.

The excuse that I should update the drivers or that Imight have a defective Wi-Fi card or the nonsense that Windows is incompatible is totally unacceptable and amateurish because I can get it to work, for a time. It is like most all computer problems 99% a software, driver configuration related problem.

HOW TO GET IT TO WORK (For a  time):

If I uninstall & delete all the network and Bluetooth related drivers, do a hard reboot and BIOS default setting it works again.

STEPS:

Prior to this, using (GitHub/lostindark) Drive Store Explorer (v. 0.11.92.0) I uninstall and delete the following drivers:

under Bluetooth:

Intel v. 22.120.0.3 01/25/2022 ibtusb.inf and the RealTek v. 1.5 .1012.3rtkfilter.inf

under Extensions:

Intel  v. 22.1 120.0.1 01/26/2022 pieextension.inf and the Intel v. 22.80.0.4 08/26/2021 ibtusb_siva_ext.inf

under Network Adapters:

Intel  netwtw08.inf and oem26.inf, and whatever other related OEMxx.inf

Exit the OS abnormally via hard* shut down, reboot enter the laptop BIOS, go to the "save & exit" section, select followed by "restore defaults" followed by "save changes" and go to "save changes and exit" and Windows boots. The Intel Wi-Fi most of the time starts working at the first boot as expected but the Bluetooth drivers are disabled, nonexistent. It does lose the specific Wi-Fi router network password but once enter it connects immediately.

At least after a second attempt it works and typically it retains that setting when shutting down the laptop by hibernation. Often but not always it also retains the function with a real shutdown. Over time however suddenly it disappears, as if the configuration fades away, then Window searches for another driver hastily shoves in a newer one at the problem is back.

In Device Manager the following is shown:

The driver for the working Intel AC 9560 is an older Microsoft from 5/13/2019, version 21.10.2.2 and Wi-Fi performs as expected. The event reports in the Wi-Fi properties show:

Device install requested
Device not migrated

Device configured (netwtw08.inf)

Device started (Netwtw08.inf)

Device manager [other] errors are:

Other devices            "Intel (R) wireless Bluetooth (R)"  (you make an attempt to get that going, most of the time but not always the problem starts again.

Other unrelated errors shown are:

Sensors                      "HID sensor collection V2"

System Devices        "Detection Verification"

The latter two are since 1/2 a year always there, but seem to have no effect on overall functionality.

Everything else is error-free.

The Wi-Fi works until the next enforced Windows update, then the “Kabuki Theater” starts again from Ground Zero!

So dear genius engineer corps of Intel and company, fix this, not over-update and over-engineer it! Do it once and do it right and get involved wherever you need to get involved from the other bloated behemoths!

Grandpa was right! "Boy! if it ain't broke don't 'fix it'"!

The Germans have a word concoction for it: "Verschlimmbessern":

To improve something that works, so long and so often until it becomes useless or dysfunctional and has only problems.

You hear that dear Intel, Asus and Microsoft?

0 Kudos
CArgue
Beginner

I just started having this issue. Had an asus WiFi card with the AC9260 in an old linux box with no issues what so ever. It was rock solid for over a year straight. Didn't even need to install a driver, Ubuntu just handled it. Put it in a windows box (windows 10 pro, fully updated, on older hardware) and code 10. Put it back in the linux and working just fine. 

This is absolutely a Microsoft issue, or I suppose, it could be that intel didn't write the driver properly for windows... but the former seems far more likely. 

Since all that mucking around to get a temporary connection isn't an option for me, it will just have to live out it's life on linux. Resetting my bios isn't an option because I added the ability to boot from NVMe to an old asus Z87 Pro. Having to redo that often isn't worth the $30-$50 CAD for a new card. Heck, it just occurred to me, I have another m.2 wifi card I'll try in the PCIe adaptor first. 

While I agree that something like this could qualify for a class action, big companies like Microsoft have the money and resources to tie it up in court for years and then not even care when they have to pay. 

Either way, thank you. Posting all this saved me from digging even further... I'm already on day 2 of this lol. 

-Chris

0 Kudos
DWats16
Beginner

These answers seem overkill and unnecessary . the process is really simple it happens to my desktop every couple of months...

1. Go to windows settings and click update and security
  2. hit restart now under advanced start up
  3. click troubleshoot.
  4. click advanced options
  5. click UEFI FIrmware settings, and press the only option which should be RESTART. this will take you to BIOS utility
  6. click DEFAULT or F9 to restore basic settings (ive done it tons of times its never reset an option that affected anything i use)
  7. then click save and exit.

this will restart your pc and fix the wireless issue instantly.

ive had this issue happen to me multiple times and none of the basic results online ever helped. but doing this has worked every time.

Nekoboy56
Beginner

I have done this and so much more and it is simply not working. It worked fine until I played a video game or sometimes it just randomly stops working. I have done everything and I am at my wits end. 

0 Kudos
Mambo
Beginner

This may be a bit late so I hope you've already solved your problem, but something that worked for me was to just hold down the power button on my laptop for like 30 seconds for it to fully shut down. And then I just turned it on and the adapter was working again. I think you can either take out the battery from your laptop to fully shut it down or just hold the power button for a while like I did if you don't have a removable battery.

DamonFerg
Beginner

Thanks! This solution actually worked for me as well. After I ordered a WiFi dongle!!! Prior to this, I performed every step mention above, and even went back to a restore point and had the same result; an error code 10. 

Meityx
Novice

I also want to let others know that this worked!

After months of trying everything and upgrading to win 11 just to solve this issue...this worked.

Here is what I did:

I uninstalled all the drivers for the Intel Wireless in device manager...many times until there was no drivers to uninstall/remove.

Then I pushed the power button on my laptop for 30 secs and bam! After it got hard shut down, I powered it on and I had a working Intel Wireless  AC 9560 160Mhz.

Intel should do sth about this issue...

nstaats
Beginner

Thank You for this solution!

I had this happen to me last year, I could not resolve it.  So I bought a brand new Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160Mhz network adapter from Amazon for $14.  Opened up my laptop, but a brand new one in.  11 months later, same dang problem on the 2nd network adapter!

Then I found this posted solution.  And it WORKED!  My gads, you saved me time and headache.  I almost thought I got a 2nd lemon network adapter.  

Thank You  so much!

0 Kudos
SteveSimons
Beginner

You are great! Was getting mad about this, then reading your post I just remembered that hard-powering-off laptops could fix issues like this one...and BAM!!! Everything is working good now.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wi-Fi card (that indeed it's exactly the Intel AC-9560 one), removing all previous drivers from the system using DriverStoreExplorer (RAPR) without obviously any success.

Thank you again!!

0 Kudos
Aqdas810
Beginner
Hey, I am currently facing the same issue , did you find a way to fix it? If so , please let me know what you did. Thanks
0 Kudos
Meityx
Novice

What I found recently is that when you want to delete the hardware (and delete the drivers) in the device manager, it is better to have the properties window of the wireless hardware open, so that after deleting and re-scanning, it won't re-install the new drivers which actually cause the problem.

uninstalling and reinstalling the device in the device manager should always work after some tries and restarts of the laptop.

0 Kudos
Dan17
Beginner

This worked great, thank you!