Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC 9560 losing authentication?

watkincm
Beginner

Lenovo ThinkPad P52, Intel Core i7-8850H CPU, Windows 11 Pro v. 21H2

This wireless adapter has worked perfectly since installation in 2019.

A few days ago, a Netgear newsletter touted the security advantages of WPA 3 over WPA 2, so I changed the security setting on my Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 Mesh system to WPA 3 as a test.  Most Wi-Fi devices worked just fine but my TV and printer failed so I switched back to WPA 2.

Ever since then, the AC 9650 has consistently dropped connection. 

Connection is set to automatic but fails.  When attempting to connect manually, each time it goes through "Checking network requirements" to "Enter network security key" with "Some information has changed since the last time your connected. We need additional information to complete the connection" followed by "Verifying and connecting".

During this process, under "Control Panel - Network connections", the adapter attempts to authenticate, connects successfully once the password is entered, then drops within a few minutes.

So far, I have updated with drivers both from Intel and Lenovo.  Uninstalled the adapter, forcing it to re-install on reboot. Uninstalled the driver and the adapter before reboot.

I also updated the Wi-Fi password confirming that all other devices are successfully accessing the network.

Netgear Tech support have validated all the setting on my MR60 router and satellites via remote access.

Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello watkincm, I just received an update on this matter.

In this case, based on what you mentioned "would like o hear of any replacement technology that may be available", the best thing to do next will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo Support. Since everything, features and functions, on a laptop are customized by the OEM, they are the ones that will be able to confirm if a physical inspection of the computer is needed, which wireless cards are fully compatible with their system and BIOS, if a replacement of the card is possible or if it is needed to replace the laptop itself under their warranty options.

Here you have important "Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade":
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/wireless.html

For the newer generation of wireless products please visit the following link, keeping in mind that the OEM will need to confirm and validate any of those wireless cards as fully compatible with your laptop for the proper performance of the system:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@Wireless

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

watkincm, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this case, just to let you know, pretty much you already tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario. Still, in order for us to provide a possible solution to this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides changing the security setting to WPA 3 that might cause this problem?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Thank you for responding Alberto… to answer your questions:

1. No hardware changes.  Other than automatic updates…. Lenovo, Windows, etc., no software changes either.
  2. Wireless card came with the laptop directly from Lenovo.
  3. I work at home.

SSU report is attached, as requested.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

watkincm, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information shown in the SSU document, the wireless driver version currently installed in your machine is 22.80.0.9. provided by Lenovo:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p52-type-20m9-20ma/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

You mentioned that you have already installed the Intel® wireless driver, just to confirm, was that driver version 22.120.1.9? If you haven't, for testing purposes, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html?wapkw=ac%209560

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

In the following link, you will find the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings, please try the different settings shown there and test the laptop to confirm if the problem of dropping the connection gets fixed with one of those settings. Once you get the chance, let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

Additionally, we recommend to get in contact directly with Lenovo support to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

I have uninstalled the adapter - 4 times - each time opting to remove the software, until the driver ceased to change.

Then installed the latest Intel driver (22.120.1.9) and stepped through the Advanced settings to verify they were set to the default.

Lenovo confirms laptop BIOS is up to date. 

Sadly, the adapter now no longer connects at all.

Under "Diagnose" in "Network Connections", I get "Your PC isn't set up to connect automatically to this network.  Select Apply this fix to connect automatically when the network is in range..."

Applying the fix results in "This computer is set to manually connect to "iPhone" - Not fixed" - and - "This computer is set manually connect to "Microsoft Store" - Not fixed".

Since neither of these networks are my main home WiFi network, I must assume the adapter cannot identify my Netgear Mesh Wifi network for some reason.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello watkincm, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello watkincm, 

In order to continue with the investigation, I will appreciate it if you provide the following information:

1. Is there any error code in the device manager?

2. Considering that the issue started after changing the settings in the router, Have you used the default settings?

3. Are you running the latest firmware of your router?

4. If you use another router or maybe the phone's hotspot, are you able to get a connection?

5. Do you see any errors reported on Windows event logs? Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Hi Deivid...

1. No error code in device manager
  2. Which default settings - adapter or router?
  3. Latest firmware confirmed
  4. Adapter connects to iphone hotspot perfectly well
  5. Don't really know where to look in the event viewer but I don't see many errors of severity
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

watkincm, Thank you very much for letting us know those points.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get more updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

While we are currently working on your case, please try to install the latest wireless driver released today version 22.130.0:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Also, try to set up the router settings back to default since the issue started right after changing the settings and it works perfectly well with a hotspot, so there might be a misconfiguration on the router causing this issue. Once you get the chance, let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello watkincm, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Thanks for following up, Albert.

I did install the latest driver. It did not appear to resolve the issue.

The adapter will connect to the network - at one point it would not connect at all - but fails to maintain authentication (usually in less than 5 minutes).

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

watkincm, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those updates.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously. We will continue with our research on this matter, once I get more details I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

After reviewing the case we determined that the very first thing to check, in this case, will be that the latest wireless driver version is currently installed on your device 22.130.0:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Once you do that, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the access point for further configuration and perhaps a possible firmware upgrade on it.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Yes - did that!

I have been working congruently with the Netgear folks - they seem as clueless as we are.

I'm thinking nobody has any clue what the implications of switching to WPA3 may be... and that Netgear should avoid recommending it until the overall implications are better understood.

Meantime I have a disfunctional AC 9560 and would like o hear of any replacement technology that may be available

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi watkincm, Thank you very much for confirming those aspects.

I will do further research on this matter in order to confirm if there is something else that we can do from our side in order to try to fix this problem. As soon as I get more details, I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Thank you for sticking with this Albert.

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

In this case, based on what you mentioned "would like o hear of any replacement technology that may be available", the best thing to do next will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo Support. Since everything, features and functions, on a laptop are customized by the OEM, they are the ones that will be able to confirm if a physical inspection of the computer is needed, which wireless cards are fully compatible with their system and BIOS, if a replacement of the card is possible or if it is needed to replace the laptop itself under their warranty options.

Here you have important "Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade":
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/wireless.html

For the newer generation of wireless products please visit the following link, keeping in mind that the OEM will need to confirm and validate any of those wireless cards as fully compatible with your laptop for the proper performance of the system:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@Wireless

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
watkincm
Beginner

Albert R.

I realized that I had not updated you on any developments in this now "cold"? case. 

No remedies worked.  Lenovo could not offer any replacement or upgraded technology that was compatible with this laptop. 

I had finally reconciled myself to stringing an ethernet connection across my office.

Then, about a month ago, after a power outage, I disconnected/reconnected all the cables attached to my laptop to make them more accessible for switching around.  Once completed, the laptop fired up automatically on the WiFi adapter and STAYED up!  It's been fine ever since.  Go figure?

Whatever, thank for all your help and your persistence in staying with the problem.  Much appreciated.

0 Kudos