Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC7260 Sporadically Disconnects Win 10

MGeor2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 desktop with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC7260 wifi. Periodically (about once every hour or so), my internet disconnects. When it does disconnect, rather than getting the Windows wifi logo with the red X in my system tray, I get the wifi logo with the white star. If I click on the wifi logo, other wireless connections are available for me to connect to from my neighbors, but just not mine. After about 10-15 seconds, my network shows back up again in my wireless connections, and I can connect back just fine. Nothing else happens, like others have reported on here. Here's what I know so far:

Signal strength is fine.

Happens with both 2 and 5 GHz bands.

I have the most up to date drivers as of yesterday.

This has happened for a while now, not entirely sure when it started but at least a year. I'm only recently using this computer to stream, which makes this a big headache now.

I have the most up to date Windows Updates (again, as of yesterday).

I tried some fix I found from a different post that suggested trying to repair the proset driver install. didn't help.

I attached the log from the intel system support utility, since I've seen everyone ask for this from other posts.

I get no errors or warnings when this happens, other than the programs I'm using alerting me that I have no internet.

I built this computer myself, but this wifi chip was integrated into the motherboard I used.

I'd love for someone to please help me fix this.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello beestmode36,

The star symbol you mention indicates that there are connections avaialable, but the system is not connected to any of them. Please consider the following items for this connectivity issue:

- Make sure the wireless antennas are properly plugged and placed in a good position, away for sources of interference.

- Update the firmware of your wireless router.

- Disable the Bluetooth* component of your PC, the system may have a key combination to do this, or it can be done within Windows* configuration.

- Try using a different network, is possible 802.11ac, and check if the issue occurs as well.

For additional information, please

- When this SSID disappears, are you able to connect to other networks?

- Please check if other devices show a similar behavior when this happens.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
MGeor2
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

This situation does not happen with two other devices that I have used in the same room on the same desk the same distance from the router, so I do not think it is a signal or interference problem, since whatever is interfering with my desktop also would interfere with those devices..

This situation has not only happened with two different routers, but with two different Internet Service Providers. I can try updating router firmware, but since this has happened on different routers, I would consider it highly unlikely to be helpful.

I'll try to connect to a new SSID when it happens, but it will be tough because I have to time it right. Interestingly, when I'm on the 2G connection and it drops out, the SSID for the 5G connection still appears, even though the 2G one is gone. The opposite also happens when I'm on the 5G connection. I only have one of the frequencies set to auto connect to avoid my computer switching networks in the middle of something important.

My router is a Sagemcom Fast 5260 and is 802.11AC.

I'll also give disabling bluetooth a try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello beestmode36,

Thank you for the additional description. In this case, we would like to review this closely. Please perform these recommendations and provide the following logs:

- Make sure the Wireless Access point has one SSID exclusively for 5 GHz and 802.11ac. Then connect to this SSID.

- Get one SSU log with this connection working fine.

- If the issue happens, please obtain a new log when the issue occurs.

- Also, go to Windows Event Viewer and Save the following logs:

1. System Event log.

2. From Applications and Services - Microsoft - Windows - Wlan-autoconfig, save the Operational log to a file as well.

Attach the 4 log files to the thread.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello beestmode36,

Please let us know if there was any progress about this, or in case you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
MGeor2
Beginner

Hi,

Disabling bluetooth seems to have reduced the frequency at which my intel card completely drops its connection to the internet.

I still get some sporadic lag but since the frequency of my dropouts has been way down, I was able to actually find and disable what device was interfering to cause the lag.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello beestmode36,

We are glad to know you found the reason for the disconnections and that your system is working better now. Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos