Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

AC7260 disconnects

NKart
Beginner

The problem I'm having is that at random intervals, my laptop stops passing traffic over the wireless interface. Windows still shows me associated to the access point, but no traffic makes it across the link. Eventually Windows will show "limited connectivity" on the interface. I have to disconnect and reconnect to the SSID in order to get things working again. This is the case on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

I just installed an AC7260 card in my laptop, running Windows 8.1 64bit. I'm now on version 17.0.0.34 of the wireless driver. I have a 4th-generation Airport Extreme AP, running 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs. 2.4gig is running in b/g/n mode, and on 5gig I've tried a/n and n only modes, with both 20MHz and 40MHz wide channels. I've verified there are no other APs I can hear on the same channels I'm on. I have my wireless security set to WPA2-PSK. I've also tried setting the Airport's multicast rate to both low and medium.

As far as device settings go for the card, I have:

802.11n channel width for 2.4GHz: auto

802.11n channel width for 5.2GHz: auto

ARP offload: enabled

Bluetooth AMP: enabled

Fat channel intolerant: disabled

GTK rekeying: enabled

HT mode: VHT mode

Mixed mode protection: CTS-to-self enabled

NS offload: enabled

Packet coalescing: enabled

Preferred band: No preference

Roaming aggressiveness: medium

Sleep on WoWLAN disconnect: Disabled

Transmit power: highest

Wireless mode: 802.11a/b/g

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Your laptop (probably the antenna) might incompatible with the 7260AC. I get ZERO disconnections on mine and always xonstant full speed 300 Mbps. I even held connection for 15 days without ever getting disconnected or limited. I'm using 16.8.0.6 drivers by Dell.

0 Kudos
NKart
Beginner

Not sure how my antenna would be incompatible. I previously had an a/b/g/n radio in this laptop, so the antennas are tuned for 2.4GHz and 5GHz operation. The previous radio had zero connectivity problems in my wireless environment.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

A bad hardware maybe or some BIOS power saving or some software interfering with WiFi connection. Just know that the 7260 is designed to be used with Haswell chipsets and as such it works perfectly with that platform which what I have.

0 Kudos
NKart
Beginner

Unfortunately, "it works for me" isn't actually that useful a data point It's not a software issue as I haven't changed any resident applications on my machine between previously using an Atheros card with no issue, and now using the Intel card. No BIOS-level power saving settings. I've tried setting the Windows power savings options to not allow the system to put the card to sleep, that made no difference.

Anyone from Intel have additional troubleshooting steps I can take, or maybe information on setting up some kind of debug or verbose output from the driver to see what state the device is in when it stops passing traffic?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Since you put the card yourself, you get no support from Intel here. Mine was originally included with the laptop with OEM "P/N" printed in the card such as this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71qv0X58kFL._SL1500_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71qv0X58kFL._SL1500_.jpg. The ones you buy online are generic cards or might be fake, resulting to erratic performance with your laptop.

0 Kudos
NKart
Beginner

Well then, a return it shall be.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are investigating this type of behavior, do you get events with the IDs 5007 and 5055in the Windows* Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) at the time the issue occurs? Kindly share the details from those events if available.

0 Kudos