Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

AX1650i , updated Killer Performance Suite today, but will not open

satscout
Beginner

I am an AT&T customer, and webmail is unfortunately through Yahoo. Yahoo, more often than not, decides not to work, so there is an ongoing thread on their forums as to what to do about it. Today there was an update on that thread suggesting tweaking a setting in the Killer Performance app... and going down that rabbit hole led me to updating a bunch of stuff including my Dell XPS's BIOS and the Killer Performance Suite software, among other things. These updates were because a consistent error kept coming up where attempts to open the Killer software led to a message that reads "Issue detected, please go to killernetworking.com to download the latest drivers/software." I have the latest available software installed, 3.1222.614 for a Windows 11 64-bit system. Apparently there is something in Killer that ranks the resources and doesn't give browsers enough to handle what Yahoo's website is demanding... leading to it giving a "No internet detected" message frequently and crashing the webmail page. But since Killer won't open, I can't check or tweak the setting, and I don't know how to make Killer respond when it just gives a message saying to update even though I'm as updated as I can get. So the questions are:

1. How to get the Killer Control Center to open? and failing that -

2. How to access the setting that would turn off the Prioritization Engine that is downranking Yahoo to the point of unworkability?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello satscout,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

About the error message when opening the performance suite. The issue can be solved by performing a clean install of the Intel Killer Performance Suite, as opposed to an update install. To do so, please, follow these steps:

• Download the latest installer for your version of Windows*
  • If you are using Windows 10 and don’t already know which build, identify which version of Windows your machine is currently running. If you are unsure, follow these steps to find out:
    • Click Start.
    • Type winver and press Enter.
    • A box will appear with some information about Windows. There will be a Version number. Match this version number to the correct download below.
  • Uninstall the Intel Killer Performance Suite manually:
    • Go to your Windows search bar.
    • Type in and go to Apps & features.
    • Find the Intel Killer Performance Suite from the list.
    • Click the Intel Killer Performance Suite and select the option to uninstall.
    • Restart your machine by clicking Start > Power > Restart.
  • Once your computer has rebooted, access your temporary files folder and delete the contents.
    • Click Start.
    • Type %temp% and press Enter. Your temp folder should open.
    • Delete all files in the temp folder. These are all temporary install files and are safe to delete. If you receive a prompt saying that a file cannot be deleted, you can safely select Skip All.
    • Close the temp folder
  • Run the installer that you downloaded for the Intel Killer Performance Suite.
  • Select Complete when asked Complete Install or Custom Install. The software package only installs the Intel Killer Performance Suite and the device drivers.
  • Follow the remaining prompts to complete the installation.
  • The final part of the installation will involve forwarding you to the Microsoft Store* to download the Killer Performance Suite user interface. This is required to use the Intel Killer Performance Suite.
  • Restart your machine if the installer requested a restart.

Regarding your question about how to disable the Prioritization Engine, you should open Killer Control Center, go to the Settings Tab on the left-hand side and disable Killer Prioritization Engine (formerly known as Advanced Stream Detect).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello satscout,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello satscout,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
satscout
Beginner

I never got a notification that this thread was even looked at

This is a breakdown in the website, I'm sure, and not your fault at all.

The ultimate resolution - for what it's worth, and for documentation in case someone reads this in the future - had to do with the fact that Windows 10 and Windows 11 can't use the same type of Killer suite. In fact, even after I "installed", "uninstalled", and "reinstalled" the downloaded Killer Performance Suite, I couldn't access it... not because the suite was faulty but because there was a W10-compatible "Killer Control Center" that was not visible/uninstallable by normal means that I found on the app list. When I went to it individually within the app list and right-clicked, I was given the possibility to uninstall it, after which the clean install of the W11-compatible Killer Performance Suite was able to happen.

The point of changing the Killer suite was to be able to kill the Prioritization setting because it made it impossible for AT&T's webmail page - unfortunately handled by Yahoo - to load, or stay loaded, or something. Even after setting the webmail page manually to top priority, unless the Prioritization setting is turned off, the page errors out, claiming "no internet" when internet is clearly working for everything else. As of this post (the evening of 8/5/22), after multiple power outages earlier in the day, I have a solid red light on the "broadband" part of my router's display, awaiting a tech appointment on Monday to see if we can get it back up to speed (literally). So being able to kill Prioritization is even more important, at least over the weekend. Throttling down desired traffic isn't something I want to happen, so I had to be able to access Killer's interface to tell it not to do that.

Unfortunately, when transitioning from W10 to W11, there is no laundry list of components that stop working or don't work the way they ought to anymore to check, and if you ask the system if there are any updates... well, unless you have a specific component in mind, you don't even know how to ask the question. It's been quite a while since the W11 upgrade, and it's only recently that I knew this was causing a problem.

0 Kudos