Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX200 not recognized and gigabyte answer

Max_1234
Beginner

Dears,
I have built my new PC on a Gigabyte H470 HD3.
I have, after some time, added the AX200 module, without success, because it is not recognized by windows.
I tried several times the clean installation, so my guess is that the module is not recognized by the bios.
I have asked to gigabyte and they, surprisingly, do not know if the module should work or not!
The only gigabyte answer is: the MB supports CNVI modules.
I have also asked to gigabyte which wifi module they suggest and the answer is: the MB supports CNVI modules.

OK, then let's come to what I've found is declared by intel:
https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/FeaturedLinks/WiFi
=> gigabyte H470 HD3 should be compatible with AX200 => so, is the gigabyte implementation not compatible???
but:
https://software.intel.com/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000026155/wireless.html
=> CNVI modules are the AX201 and AX211 => so, AX200 is not CNVI!!!
but about AX201 Intel also says:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/130293/intel-wifi-6-ax201-gig.html
=> System Interface Type M.2: CNVio2 => so, CNVI and CNVio2 are the same thing??? And if not, then???

So, I'm really disappointed by Gigabyte poor informations, but also some info coming from intel is not clear to me.

Do you have some info on making the AX200 working on my system?
Could you please suggest about the way forward?
I mean, should I really really waste the AX200?
And the AX201, would it do work?

Thanks a lot,
Max

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would add that,

1. The only Intel wireless cards compatible with motherboards that support CNVio in their M.2 Type E socket are the Wireless-AC 9461, Wireless-AC 9462 and Wireless-AC 9560; no other cards are supported.
  2. Similarly, though not relevant to your particular motherboard, the only Intel modules compatible with motherboards that support CNVio2 in their M.2 Type E socket are the Wi-Fi 6E AX201Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (i/s)Wi-Fi 6E AX211Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 (i/s) or Wi-Fi 6E AX411; no other cards are supported.
  3. Many motherboards that support CNVio/CNVio2 in their M.2 Type E socket will not allow a non-CNVio/non-CNVio2 module to be used. In fact, some motherboards won't even power on with one of these cards installed. For your motherboard, this means you likely cannot use the Wireless-AC 9260, Wi-Fi 6 AX200Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (x/w)Wi-Fi 6E AX210 or Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 (x/w) in these sockets.

This sucks, but it is reality.

...S

[Edited to fix cut & paste booboos and more-clearly identify the Killer cards]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Max_1234

Thanks for posting in the Intel Communities.

All information regarding the compatibility with the motherboard and any other attachment relay on the motherboard manufacturer. They have control over the benefits and limitations of the unit and can determine whether or not the card will work or not. The best practice for your queries is to contact GIGABYTE for compatibility information and steps to the installation process.

Regarding the website you mentioned, which contains a list of motherboards. You should keep in mind that this is a list of possible compatible motherboards; also there is a message that mentions the following

That says 'Intel has not tested all of the motherboards on this list. Users should confirm with their motherboard manufacturer before installing the kit or buying the adapters'.

I hope you find this information useful. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Max_1234
Beginner

Thank you, Jean.

I agree with you, I'm not complying with Intel.

What I know is that:

-AX200 do not work on gigabyte H470 HD3

-gigabyte says the MB only support CNVI module (they do not say more)

-AX201 is reported (in the links in my first email) both as CNVI and CNVio2

What I just would like to have is an information:

-AX201 is a CNVI module?

Thanks,

Max

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Max_1234.

Thanks for your response.

Regarding your question, the AX201 is a CNVio2 module. This may indicate that the wireless card is not compatible with your motherboard since they mentioned that the motherboard is CNVio compatible; however, as mentioned before, all compatibility-related topics must be answered by GIGABYTE.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would add that,

1. The only Intel wireless cards compatible with motherboards that support CNVio in their M.2 Type E socket are the Wireless-AC 9461, Wireless-AC 9462 and Wireless-AC 9560; no other cards are supported.
  2. Similarly, though not relevant to your particular motherboard, the only Intel modules compatible with motherboards that support CNVio2 in their M.2 Type E socket are the Wi-Fi 6E AX201Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (i/s)Wi-Fi 6E AX211Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 (i/s) or Wi-Fi 6E AX411; no other cards are supported.
  3. Many motherboards that support CNVio/CNVio2 in their M.2 Type E socket will not allow a non-CNVio/non-CNVio2 module to be used. In fact, some motherboards won't even power on with one of these cards installed. For your motherboard, this means you likely cannot use the Wireless-AC 9260, Wi-Fi 6 AX200Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (x/w)Wi-Fi 6E AX210 or Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 (x/w) in these sockets.

This sucks, but it is reality.

...S

[Edited to fix cut & paste booboos and more-clearly identify the Killer cards]

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Max_1234.

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos