Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX201, Event ID 7025 and inadvertent wakeups from Modern Standby

Yves
Beginner

Hi

With my new laptop that came with an Intel WiFi AX201 installed, everything appears to work fine except it always inadvertently wakes up from standby after some period. It has been doing this ever since I made my purchase. I haven't done any hardware modifications, but I am using two different USB 3.0 hubs, one of which has a Realtek USB GbE Family Controller built in. Both of these also work fine, and, the wakeup problem persists regardless of whether I am connected through WiFi or Ethernet. But, I can work around the issue reliably it seems, by disabling Modern Standby, i.e. by adding the PlatformAoAcOverride Dword value = 0 and rebooting after that, and I verified it before and after, via the  powercfg a  command. With the 'Allow this device to wake the computer from sleep' checkboxes checked, it looks like it never wakes up inadvertently from Legacy Standby, and I verified this by keeping an eye on it for more than a month.

I have done no software modifications except updating the drivers and installing a few desktop apps none of which should have any negative effect on stability, as they are working fine on both my new laptop and my older laptop. The latter laptop also works fine, it uses an Intel Core i5-7200U running on the same OS build, while also using latest drivers on both laptops, etc.. I am using no 3rd party antivirus or firewall, only Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. One other thing that puzzles me about the new laptop is that I can't use the SATA AHCI driver from the Intel RST package because the Tiger Lake-U Controller shows up as hardware ID DEV_A0D3 so that this driver refuses to be installed. The driver from Microsoft does work fine, though, but still I was wondering why I can't use any Intel driver with this particular Intel SATA AHCI Controller. As far as I am aware, there are no drivers available from Medion for my new laptop. Anyway, here are 2 separate event logs taken from it, and my SSU report. Both of these log parts were logged while the Ethernet was connected to my cable modem through my unmanaged 1Gbps network switch, with an internet connection that also works fine.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Yves, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to the wireless problem, about always inadvertently waking up from standby after some period, just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Based on the SSU report, it states that the current Wireless driver version installed is 22.30.0.11, which is the latest Intel® Generic Wireless driver. I looked on MEDION'S web site for the proper Wireless driver for your system and it seems they have a package to install that includes all the drivers, so, please uninstall the current Wireless driver from the computer following the instructions in the links below, and install the drivers provided by MEDION, it should include the Ethernet driver as well:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

https://www.medion.com/gb/service/product-detail/30030452?fromTopicsPage=true

Also, if you have the option, please get in contact with MEDION directly to confirm that those are the correct drivers for your platform tested and validated by them and to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version to make sure the laptop is running wit the latest BIOS:

https://www.medion.com/gb/service/

For the problem related to the SATA AHCI driver from the Intel® RST, we suggest to open a new thread for us to further assist you with that matter as well.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Yves
Beginner

There are no drivers available from Medion. As you can see for yourself on the page you linked, it clearly states this fact. On this same page you linked, there's also a link that points to their FAQ page about driver updates. In this FAQ, they go on to explain about how it also is possible to receive driver updates automatically from the component manufacturer. So, I am using the Intel DSA for that. In addition, this same FAQ also explains that it is possible to manually download latest drivers from the component manufacturer's official website. So, I visited to the Intel Download Center page, and I grabbed the latest version of the WiFi driver from there, as the DSA could not find this one automatically for me. That is, both the DSA and Windows Update found only the older version of this driver. Similarly, on my old laptop, that I mentioned before, and that came with an Intel WiFi AC3165 card inside, the DSA was unable to find the lastest Intel Bluetooth driver. That is, in spite of the fact that this latest Intel Bluetooth driver, that I also ended up grabbing from your Download Center, appears to be working perfectly fine, at least for me.

As for getting a BIOS update, in HWiNFO v7.00 the BIOS date is 11-19-2020. I have contacted Medion support by phone yesterday, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I have verified that the laptop still wakes up from Modern Standby, regardless of whether the WiFi driver from Microsoft (i.e., from Windows Update) is installed, and regardless of whether a generic Intel version is installed by doing a clean install. Under Kernel-Power in Event Viewer, I can see that netwtw10 generates an Event ID 7025, immediately followed by netwtw10 Event ID 7026, immediately followed by Event ID 507 (Reason: 50), then 506, and then 507 again. The 7026 hadn't occurred until now, but, each time when the laptop inadvertently wakes up, the timestamp of each of these events always appears to be identical, as you can see by using Windows Event Viewer to open the .evtx files that I included in a separate zipfile in the attachments, along with the SSU report that I also uploaded.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Yves, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We will do further research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this problem, it is important for us to let you know that the Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Additionally, if by any chance you are detecting problems with the Intel® DSA application, please submit a new thread in that regard so we can help you with that topic also.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Yves, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, we don't recommend changing registry keys, but if you are willing to do it the potential solution can be the following:

Kindly try the following steps below to disable the Modern Standby:

-On the search bar, type "Registry Editor" and click on it.

-Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

-Double Click on "CsEnabled" and change the Value data to 0

-On the search bar, type "Command Prompt"

-Type "powercfg /a", then hit Enter and provide the result.

If you do not want to take the risk to modify the registry or if the problem persists after trying the steps above, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with MEDION for further assistance on this matter since the problem seems to be related to the operating system:

https://www.medion.com/gb/service/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Yves
Beginner

Sorry, but that's just not going to work. That's simply because, as of version 2004 (i.e., the May 2020 feature upgrade from Microsoft), Windows 10 ignores the CsEnabled registry value. As of version 20H2 (i.e., the October feature upgrade), Windows 10 uses a different registry setting for that, the description of which can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/wakeontouch#disabling-modern-standby

In fact, I already confirmed that it works for me, when I wrote,

But, I can work around the issue reliably it seems, by disabling Modern Standby, i.e. by adding the PlatformAoAcOverride Dword value = 0 and rebooting after that, and I verified it before and after, via the  powercfg a  command.

It means that I already know how to disable Modern Standby. So much so, I already know the correct way to do it on the OS that I am using, whereas your colleague who gave you the information you posted apparently does not know. However, my question wasn't how can I disable Modern Standby. Instead, I am trying to get Modern Standby to work because it is what allows me to use an important feature called Connected Standby.

If you don't know what it means, then please watch the video offered on this page:

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/WinHEC/WinHEC-Fall-2017-Workshop/Modern-Standby-Overview

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Yves, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Based on the updates provided in your response, we will continue with our research on this matter, once I get any information I will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Yves, I just received an update on this matter.

The Intel® AX201 vard via event ID 7025 may not be the device to wake up the system and turn on the display.

Because:

1) The last Kernel-Power event ID 507 in two evtx logs indicates the 'Input Mouse' was the reason that the system existed the connected standby mode, as shown in the attached 'Exit CS by Mouse.png'

2) Log 'Connected Standby session.evtx' indicates AX201 event ID 7025 was triggered at 3:59:42AM, but the system existed connected standby much later at 6:30:01AM, indicating this wakeup is not relevant to the WLAN AX201

-Do you have the option to disconnect his USB mouse, or turn off the Bluetooth mouse.

-Please note during Modern Standby state, the system allows network activity and the networking subsystem stays connected. Depending on the use case, the communication devices can wake SoC, but may or may not turn on the display. For more details, please refer to: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-wake-sources

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Yves, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Yves
Beginner

Sorry for my late reply. In spite of the fact I had no external mouse or external keyboard hooked up to this laptop, Logitech G HUB software was the culprit. I had to do several many more test runs to finally figure this out so that's why I took so long to share my results. I ended up having to uninstall this software, as I tried various different workarounds none of which have worked for me. I.e., using Driver Store Explorer to force delete the virtual drivers that belong to G HUB got rid of the drivers, but didn't get rid of the sleep problem, and, a solution that has been suggested on Reddit didn't seem to work either. Comments made by others in this same discussion thread on Reddit suggest that Logitech technical support team have been unable to provide a fix, and has been refusing to respond about this apparent bug that exists in their software.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Yves, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing those updates and results.

It is great to hear that the issue about the inadvertent wakeups from Modern Standby got fixed and now the computer is working properly after uninstalling this software.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos