Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX201 Stateless Autoconfiguration IPv6 not working reliably after Sleep/Hybernate

KiPe
New Contributor I

This is a follow-up tread from

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/IPv6-SLAAC-broken-on-AX200-w-recent-22-x-drivers-on-Windows-10/td-p/1246367

I have switched laptop from one with AX200 to one with AX201.

Also, it has been a while since I last tested and new driver version is: 22.100.0.3

Situation is:

SLAAC works reliably after fresh boot / reboot.

SLAAC does NOT work reliably after sleep / hybernate.

I.e., after coming out of sleep you see that the NIC does not receive the right prefix of the network and does not assign itself a public ipv6 address. It comes up with a link-local fe80:: only.

"ipconfig /renew6" sometimes fixes the issue

alternatively

letting sit the laptop idle for a few minutes (until unsolicited announcements arrive) sometimes fix the issue

Next stop: driver update.

51 Replies
KiPe
New Contributor I

Retest with: 22.110.1.1

=> same error

But let me add some details: Genereally speaking, there seem to be two error scenarios:

1) recoverable: either waiting for some time or "ipconfig /renew6" resolve the issue

2) non-recoverable: the error persists, no IPv6 adress configured (for at least 1h)

Noteworthy details:

- in case the error is reproduced in recoverable scenario:

- "ipconfig /renew6" is really quick

-  as expected, ICMPv6 "router solicitation" packets (ICMPv6 type 133) being sent out
       and "router advertisements" (type 134) received as an  answer

- in case the error is reproduced in non-recoverable scenario

- the "ipconfig /renew6" blocks for many seconds (extremely slow)

- using wireshark I can see the "router solicitations" but NO "router advertisements" are received

- also the regular "router advertisements" automatically sent by the routers are NOT seen on wireshark

- this state can only be resolved by hard reboot

This would lead me to a wild guess that some packet filtering mechanism on the NIC (most probably v6 mulicast related) is to blame here. Preventing the needed packets to be received at all by the NIC. Coming out of hybernation/sleep, some FSM seems to pull the wrong strings or making bogous assumptions about the hardware status after sleep. Which would also explain why, when in the non-recoverable scenario, only power-cycle cures it.

Patrick, can you have someone from engineering post the respective code snippets here for review?

Wait - rather fix the problem that in fact you have a forum in which end-users can entertain themselves but there is no mechanism that engineering ever receives information about bugs that obviously are fundamental. Bugs which create various entries in this very forums (in multiple variants) and most probably orders of magnitude more in application-level misbehaviours (not immediatly understood by anyone could be attributable to this bug also). With many customers that would never dig into the details and will be leaving Intel behind with an obscure "not performing" feeling just because certrain network services do not work properly.

Then again, who needs networking or even IPv6, right?

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

Supplementary Information:

For me, this is only reproducible when running on battery! As soon as I connect power, I cannot reproduce anymore.

So this seems to be related to power saving. Might be also one of the reasons why it is difficult to reproduce.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KiPe, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Since the previous thread is already closed and you mentioned that "new hardware arrived.", we just wanted to confirm a few details about your platform:

You mentioned, "I have switched laptop from one with AX200 to one with AX201.":

What is the model of the laptop?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

What is the model of the Router?

Was this specific laptop working fine before without having the issue related to "IPv6 not working reliably after Sleep/Hybernate"?

If so, when did the issue start on this machine?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately, or did it come installed on this specific laptop?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

Dear Albert,

thank you for supplying me the standard questionaire. Let me anticipate that you will ask me to revert to my Laptop vendor for this issue after I fill it out. But anyway - I'll give it another try.

> What is the model of the laptop?

Currently HP EliteBook x360 1040 G8, but various models affected obviously, see other threads.

> Is this a new computer?

Yes

> When did you purchase it?

Last Month.

> What is the model of the Router?

This question is irelevant, see other threads, happens in various environments.

>Was this specific laptop working fine before without having the issue related to "IPv6 not working reliably after Sleep/Hybernate"?

The Laptop is still working fine, one WiFi Connection is having the outlined issue.

> If so, when did the issue start on this machine?

Immediately after purchase.

> Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

No.

> The wireless card, did you purchase it separately, or did it come installed on this specific laptop?

Preinstalled card.

>Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10, fully patched.

>Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Both.

>Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform,
>check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

I am not going to post an SSU report in public forums. Can you please provide alternate means to send them to you. Thanks.

That said, may I ask a question also?

Would if be possible for intel to try to reproduce it?

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

P.S.: Just reproduced also on an HP Envy 17 with an AX201. Running Windows 11 and 22.110.1.1.

Seems however, that it is significantly harder to reproduce on this platform. Had to sleep/wake dozens of times and bug first really occured after I left the Laptop sit sleeping for at least 15 minutes.

Also here on this platform, an "ipconfig /renew6" fixed things.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

P.P.S.: Issue NOT reproducible with an HP Omen 16 with an RTL WiFi Card [1].

OS has the same patch level as the previous tested HP Envy 17.

[1]

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c08016488

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I
Another data-point:

Someone with a surface pro 7 (presumably also AX) having the same problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-no-ipv6-on-resume-from-sleep/f10442a9-a00f-4d8a-ae82-1ac71dcc4681
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KiPe, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Every computer is a different platform, it has different components, they have different functionality, and also different features and operations that were advertised by the manufacturer as part of the performance of the device. Especially, like in this scenario, where we are referring to a mobile device where everything is customized by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). So, even though two computers might have the same parts still the performance will not be the same, they are two worlds apart. Based on that, on this thread, we will focus on trying to fix the problem happening to the HP EliteBook x360 1040 G8. 

We always recommend installing the wireless drivers provided by the manufacturer of the machine, based on the customizations they do to their systems. The drivers tested and validated by HP are the proper drivers for your equipment and it should work properly while using them.

You mentioned that you already installed driver version 22.110.1.1, which is provided by Intel®. Just to let you know, the Intel® wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might tor might not work with your specific platform:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html?wapkw=ax201

I looked in HP's website and the latest wireless driver they have available in there for this specific device is 22.100.1.1 Rev.A:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g8-notebook-pc/38228601/swItemId/ob-284115-1

Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Also, please make sure that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your machine. If needed, you can always get in contact with HP support directly for them to provide the instructions on how to update their BIOS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

"I am not going to post an SSU report in public forums", Sure, we completely understand and respect your position on this matter.

"Would if be possible for intel to try to reproduce it?", I will confirm that information, but for us to be able to do that, first we need the results of the suggestions provided above and also the SSU report. So, I will send you an email for you to provide that documentation so we can continue and further assist you with this scenario. 

Please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

Installed the version you proposed [1], still immediately able to reproduce the issue.

BIOS and all other system drivers are up to date already, just double checked.

Also kindly note that in my initial post, the system was plain vanilla, as delivered by HP, so no Bios or driver updates. I.e. in fact I have tested two configurations on the HP EliteBook already.

That said, given the multitude of platforms affected (for me three different HP platforms on which I have reproduced it personally) plus more evidence in this and other forums, its hard for me to believe this is not a generic Intel issue.

Kindly asking you to try to reproduce on intel side with whatever reference hardware intel deems suitable to install your standard intel drivers. What platform would that be btw?

[1]

KiPe_0-1646724744027.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KiPe, Thank you very much for providing that information, the picture and the SSU report.

"Kindly asking you to try to reproduce on intel side with whatever reference hardware intel deems suitable to install your standard intel drivers. What platform would that be btw?".

We will do further research on your request and on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KiPe, I just received an update on this matter.

We just wanted to inform you that we do have several of these wireless cards in our Intel® lab installed on different platforms. We will try to replicate this scenario as you requested. For us to be able to do that, once you get the chance, please provide the exact steps that you followed and the settings that you are changing so we can try to do the exact same in our lab and confirm if we also notice the same behavior.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I
System needed:
- Laptop w/ Intel WiFi Card
- plain Vanilla Windows 10 or 11
- Win10 seems to make it easier to reproduce (for me)
- IPv6 enabled network/router (SLAAC configured with public prefix)
- Ideally only one DUT in that network

Steps to reproduce:
1) verify IPv6 generally works after a clean reboot: https://www.whatismyip.com/
(Check that you have an IPv6)
and
„ipconfig“ on commandline showing the same IPv6 assigned to the WiFi

2)
Disconnect laptop from power supply, have only WiFi connected (no wired ethernet, no cellular)

3) send laptop to sleep/hibernate
(Close lid, push power button, … depending on platform)

4) wake up and check if you have an IPv6 using „ipconfig“ (Public IPv6 address should be there immediately after wake up, no delay. If only link-local IPv4 exists, you have reproduced the error)

Repeat 3) / 4) if no error.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KiPe, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We will now try to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab, as soon as I get any results I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KiPe, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case we determine that this is probably linked to an Operating System feature having issues. We just wanted to confirm:

Did you try a clean installation of Windows* already?

If you did not, do you have the option to try that and let us know the results when you get the chance?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I
Dear Albert,

I personally reproduced it on 4 different platforms. 3 of them on windows 10, one windows 11.

Two PCs straight from production / vanilla.

Which of them would you recommend reinstalling and does this really sound feasible?

Regards
Kai
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KiPe, Thank you very much for your response.

I will confirm those details and provide an answer as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KiPe, I just received another update on this topic.

While we are still working on this case, we just wanted also to verify if you already tried the suggestions shown in the link below?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574/wireless.html

If not, please try those and let us know the results when you get the chance.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KiPe
New Contributor I

I can confirm the settings are unchanged and exactly as outlined in the article referenced.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KiPe, Thank you very much for confirming that information.

We will continue working on this matter. Once I get more updates I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos