Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tverd2
Beginner

At what SNR levels does the AC wireless NIC roam to a better AP for

for the 802.11ac wireless NICs ( 8265 / 8260 / 7265 / 7260 ) , what is the SNR dB signal level at which the NIC determines if there is a closer, higher signal strength AP to roam to for the various settings ( Highest, Medium-High ​, Medium ).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello tverd2, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Please have a look in the link below, this article covers information about the wireless roaming: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... If this does not help and you require the exact dB please let me know the reason why this is needed. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello tverd2, Were you able to check my post? Let me know if you need any more help. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
tverd2
Beginner

Hi David ,

That article doesn't give any dB values. The reason for asking is to better understand the expected behavior of client device roaming and be able to properly tune the enterprise network settings. If in a typical enterprise network we strive to ensure devices connect with at least 25 dB SNR. I need to know how the Intel settings affect causing a client to roam soon enough, but want to cause client devices to connect to alternate APs to spread the load, for instance when many staff with devices are in a meeting room. The Intel roaming aggressiveness setting and hysteresis may be better suited for one setting in a small office or home vs. another setting in an enterprise with more APs and many more client devices to load balance.