Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7586 Discussions

BUG: "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service" has process name of "SHA1:0x..." in task manager, and...

EternalStudent07
New Contributor I

1. I saw posts online about this confusing issue from 2020.  Just in case someone hasn't told you...

When someone looks through the list of things running on their computer in task manager on Windows 10, one scary looking entry stood out for me.  It mentions a type of hashing (SHA1) and a hex value that is different for each person (maybe a base address of something?).

If you notice it can be expanded you'll hope you can believe the inner name of "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service" which is a Service on my PC.  I bought the Killer ax1675 desktop PCIe card, and installed your latest software from a month or so ago.

2. You should make your "Version ..." string in the lower right corner of settings able to be highlighted and copied/pasted.  It'd be less error prone than having me type out "Version 3.1422.1129.1" (and faster).  This is after clicking on the gear in the upper right corner of the Killer Intelligence Center.

3. Tried adjusting a few settings to see if I could improve things and only made everything worse.  I changed a power setting (SPMS or something?) to disabled instead of auto.  And turned on throughput booster thinking it should only hurt anything when heavily using that system.  Worst case I thought I'd use a bit more power (it's a desktop always plugged into the wall, so who cares) and other devices might get worse results if my PC forced itself to take turns faster.

Nope...  Even just having my PC booted made the satellite to router connection another PC uses (it has very old wifi, so it's hard wired to a mesh satellite) MUCH worse, all the time.  Even when just idling while looking through news websites like slashdot.org.  This is with a Netgear MK63 router (MR60 + 2x MS60...  no dedicated backhaul, 2.4 + 5.0 GHz (no 6.0) ax supported and enabled).

I realize the throughput booster was off by default, but this looks like a VERY bad feature to even allow users to experiment with.  I'll admit to having been guilty of changing settings and not investigating the results immediately afterwards.  And forgetting later why things got so broken.  Now imagine the person changing things isn't the one having the issues.

4. "Smart AP Selection" under Intelligence Engine seems odd.  Or at least I got confused by it.

I think it is picking the correct AP by default (where the uplink is hardwired), but I got confused by the Score versus Signal Strength entries.  I started out thinking the bar graph was signal strength so I kept trying to force it to use the worse AP.  But I assume it's score.  Either way it kept switching back.

Which made me look for a way to turn off the feature (because it "fixed" my selection) but still be able to select which of two same named AP's to attach to.  I couldn't find a way.  Though maybe the Dashboard had a pane, if I scrolled far enough down?  I'd think any previously joined networks should go to the top (be displayed by default).

I'm not a fan of a program that forces a certain size and shape window.  I can't expand or resize anything.  And on my 1440p screen it's using less than 1/4 of the whole screen.

The Authorized Network list gets reset periodically.  Which shrinks the expanded network (my previous action).  I don't know why it's collapsed to begin with.  I only ever want to connect to one network.  The list of available networks at the bottom isn't of much use.  And it's much longer than the Authorized list, with a smaller (fixed/static) display area.

Scores don't match real world results from the listed networks.  At least comparing 2.4 vs. 5.0 GHz bands on the same router/mesh satellite only listed a 5 out of 100 difference.  That's when the max speeds (and throughput) would differ drastically.

5. I had to tell my system to prefer the 5.0 GHz band (not 2.4GHz).  The driver and OS should default to using the "best" available band.

Heck, use them all simultaneously as able and needed!  I don't know why I must only pick 2.4 or 5.0 (or 6.0) GHz.  We started using multiple antennas at the same time, so why not multiple frequency ranges?

I'm sure I could go on, but it'd pay to have someone thoughtful use your software and adjust it.  Or just open source it and let users help you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @EternalStudent07,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We appreciate the information provided. Just to make sure is this just a suggestion or do you have any issues we could help you with? 

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @EternalStudent07,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello EternalStudent07

I hope you are doing fine. 

We will pass your feedback to the corresponding team, since I have not heard back from you, I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

0 Kudos