Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Bluetooth v1.2 device sees no SPP capabilities from AC 8265

BeRoBbg
Beginner

Although Bluetooth is considered to be mostly backward compatible, it seems impossible to create a Bluetooth connection via Serial Port Profile from a GNSS device supporting only Bluetooth v1.2 class 2 (Topcon GRS-1) to a Win10 TabletPC (Dell Latitude 5285) with an AC 8265, which (according to the specs) is a Bluetooth 4.2 device. ActiveSync Bluetooth connections between both devices work fine. As do SPP connections from the GRS-1 to TabletPC's with older Bluetooth chipsets. (Especially, when the old Toshiba Bluetooth stack is running on these devices. - Which, sadly, is discontinued and doesn't support the AC 8265.)

The Latitude has PROSet/Wireless v20.120.1.0 installed. Bluetooth stack is standard (current) Microsoft Win10x64Pro. Incoming Serial Port is created and the Latitude is visible to other Bluetooth devices. The Latitude just doesn't propagate SPP server capabilities and therefore the GRS-1 will not create an outgoing serial port for this connection...

Is there a non-circumventable technical reason for this failure? Or is just a setting missing, could another Bluetooth stack (which?) enable the connection, ...?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Thank you for posting on this Intel Community. We have newer driver versions available at our Download Center that you can install to address this issue. When installing a wireless driver, we recommend performing a clean installation to avoid problems caused by older drivers. It is worth mentioning that Intel also recommends installing Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers first due to driver customizations that allow the proper functionality of computers. If using the latest OEM driver does not fix this issue, please try our generic drivers. You can find more information below: 1. Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html 2. Latitude 5285 drivers https://www.dell.com/support/home/en/us/esbsdt1/product-support/product/latitude-12-5285-2-in-1-laptop/drivers Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. 3. Intel drivers Package version 21.0.0 > Driver version 20.70.7.1 for 8265 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150 4. If you receive an error message during the installation of the generic driver, try using the IT Administrator Links for Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Please let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

thank you very much for your input! Unfortunately, none of your suggestions changes the original behavior. The Dell driver was the first tried (without success). Dell support wasn't able to help with the connection problem and suggested installation of the current Intel PROSet/Wireless drivers. This was the aforementioned v20 package. Following your suggestion the driver was now updated to the driver package v21. Afterwards, the installed 8265 driver was shown as v20.70.7.1 (as you said it should). Still, the GRS-1 gets no information about SPP capabilities from the Latitude after successfully pairing both devices. (The old connection was deleted, beforehand, and newly created, afterwards.) Therefore, the GRS-1 does still not permit the creation of the necessary outgoing serial port for this connection.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Thank you for your response. Also, we have the Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® package version Version: 21.00.0 > Driver version 21.00.0.4. Could you please check if you are using the newest version? Driver version 21.00.0.4 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28685/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=94150 If the issue persists, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

thank you for your answer! Yes, this is the driver version that was additionally installed yesterday via "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" after installing the driver packages you linked to. - Which didn't work. (As didn't the driver versions tested earlier.)

Out of curiosity:

Do you have access to the driver changelogs? What change makes you think, that a connection issue shown by *all* driver versions tested until now, might have ceased to exist with the latest alterations of that driver? Before continuing the testing of slightly (if at all) altered driver versions, feedback from driver development team would be nice, whether SPP connection from a Bluetooth v1.2 class 2 device to the AC 8265 is:

(a) technically possible

(b) supported by the AC 8265 driver

(c) supported by the Microsoft Win10x64 Bluetooth stack (as far as the Intel development team knows)

I hope, you (or one of your colleagues) can answer the above questions. Without these answers, further testing probably is just a waste of time. We then have no choice, but to stick to older TabletPC devices (with older Bluetooth chips, mostly not from Intel, IIRC - they are all out in the field, at the moment), which happen to allow Serial Port Profile connections from GRS-1 devices without problems.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Thank you for your response and installing the latest drivers available for your system. Regarding your request about the driver changelogs, we will do further research and get back to you as soon as we have more details about this. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Could you please provide the following information: 1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application in your computer. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click "Scan" to see system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. 2. Microsoft System Information report. 1. Hit the Windows+R hotkey to bring up the run dialog, and type msinfo32. 2. Choose File->Export 3. Browse to an appropriate location to save the file. 3. Problem details Problem description: Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): Computer power source (plugged in or battery): Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots): Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.): Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home): Computer details Computer manufacturer(s): Computer model(s): Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): WiFi adapter model(s): WiFi device driver version: Number of systems affected: Wireless security method Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): WiFi network environment Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz): 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz? Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz? SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): Note: If you would like to send this information via email, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

it took Intel 3 days to resolve its global forum authentication issues! That's really disappointing. Maybe the whole process is just too complex... (Login was possible without problems, but afterwards any forum page accessed was re-routed via affiliate servers to a global landing page, which sometimes showed an error notification, and sometimes did not.)

But back to the problem with SPP and the AC8265. You find both requested log files attached to this message. I sincerely hope, that all your efforts and our time invested does not turn mood someday, when it happens to turn out, that either the chip or the driver do not permit such connections, at all.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Could you please also fill out the information requested above? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

you can't be serious?? All relevant information from your inquiry I already provided in this thread. Some information several times, already. The information not mentioned until now, you also asked asked for, doesn't apply to the matter at hands, at all. It doesn't help in the least to mindlessly asking for irrelevant information and not answering the relevant questions for debugging the problem at its core. Intel currently does a survey, whether relevant information can be obtained, easily. I'd say, if it isn't available, at all, if it isn't part of the standard information set. In the case of the SPP compatibility of the AC 8265:

(1) There is no channel and profile compatibility list of chip and driver available (obviously not only in public, but for first level support, as well)

(2) There is no complete driver changelog available, which would enabled you to decide, that constant minor driver updates couldn't change anything (because the Bluetooth section probably hasn't changed between revisions, at all)

(3) There is no easy(?) way to extract the driver setup files before installation. I did it with older versions; and they had subdirectories for specific Bluetooth profiles, but none for SPP!

(4) First level support doesn't (maybe isn't able/permitted to) escalate questions which it does not comprehend or isn't able to answer to technicians, who could

(5) A large section of first level support is done via channels, that aren't permitted to be used in many large companies or government agencies, like social networks

Apart from this, you really shouldn't break thread continuity every time you answer. If you would post your message as an answer to one of my answers, I'd get automatic notification. Your first level answers trigger no such automatism. Therefore, I constantly need to check, whether you (or anybody else) has posted a follow-up.

In the following I'll (again) post the answers to your schematic questionary. But please spare us additional fruitless exchanges and start answering the real questions about whether the SPP link should at least be (technically) possible! And if you don't know the answer (from your postings I deduce, you don't), please get the answer from someone else or get someone else to follow up here. If you can't answer the core questions (and can't get them answered), you don't need to bother still posting in this thread. Thank you anyway, for your time invested, though.

Computer details: Tablet PC

Computer manufacturer(s): Dell

Computer model(s): 5285 2-in-1

Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): Win10Prox64

WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): Intel PROSet; the abandoned Toshiba Bluetooth stack and configuration manager does not support the AC 8265, unfortunately

WiFi adapter model(s): AC 8265

WiFi device driver version: 21.00.0.4 and any earlier version tested, starting from the driver Dell provided (20.10.0.0); none ever worked

Number of systems affected: currently, there is only one test system

Wireless security method: Bluetooth key (PIN) exchange (successful; both devices see each other and can work with other profiles - like ActiveSync networking and Audio - together; just not with SPP, although an incoming serial port is created on the Latitude, so a COM server is running)

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): does not apply

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): does not apply

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): does not apply

WiFi network environment: we tried several basic settings, which might have influenced Bluetooth (like Wireless on/off); none changed the behavior

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: does not apply

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):does not apply

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): tried all combinations, although they should not apply

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?: does not apply

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?: does not apply

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): does not apply

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello BeRoBbg, Thank you for your feedback and the useful information you have provided. We will review it and update this thread as soon as possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg,

Could you please let us know if you are able to add COM Ports manually?

Windows Settings > Devices > More Bluetooth options.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

I already wrote several times in this thread (e.g. in the OP and in my last posting until now), that - after a COM port connection wasn't created automatically during pairing both devices - I created an inbound COM port (aka COM port server) on the Latitude via Bluetooth options. Although this port is created just fine and shows no errors whatsoever (on creation, in device manager and so on), the GRS-1 still does not see SPP capabilities on the Latitude and therefore does not enable the creation of an outbound COM port. Please remember, Bluetooth settings on both devices are set in a way, that both are fully detectable/visible to any other devices. Therefore, the GRS-1 should see (as it does with several other TabletPC devices) the SPP capabilities (and the enabled inbound COM port) announced by the Latitude, just fine. But it doesn't...

I even deleted the pairing information between both devices several (= countless) times and tested pairing with and without pre-created inbound Bluetooth COM port on the Latitude. I even tested several times with inbound and outbound COM port created on the Latitude, although the latter shouldn't matter in the required scenario, at all. I can't pre-create an outbound COM port on the GRS-1, though. (On the GRS-1 outbound COM ports can only be created directly to devices that propagate their SPP capabilities.)

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg,

Thank you for providing us with this information.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg,

We are still doing research on this issue and your request.

Could you please try installing this new driver?

For Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10

Version: 21.10.1

Also, please provide us with the following log files:

1. Air sniffer logs. You can use any tool/software (e.g. https://www.wireshark.org/)

2. Host Controller Interface (HCI) logs.

3. MSFT stack logs

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

both devices were out in the field. Therefore the slight delay in answering back.

We connect the GRS-1 with the TabletPC at the moment with a serial cable (and two adapters), which is really unwieldy (especially in forests with dense undergrowth). But at least this works.

I got the Dell Latitude for testing today. Because the GRS-1 used for the earlier tests was still required in the field, I used an identical GRS-1 unit for the tests. (I just mention this, in case you notice different MAC addresses in the new logfiles.)

The Bluetooth driver was already updated when I got the Latitude (actually to v21.10.1.1). SPP connection between both devices was still not possible.

Therefore, I concentrated on creating logfiles. I was a bit surprised seeing you mention Wireshark, because (to my knowledge) Wireshark only supports USB routed Bluetooth traffic capturing on Windows. If you know a setup that could intercept the AC8265 Bluetooth traffic directly on the Latitude, then please describe the necessary steps in detail.

As a substitution I append several other logfiles. The Forkbeard subfolder in the *.zip-file contains some text files with the output of the utilities btscan, sdptool and rfcomm. They should give a rogue overview of the propagated services of the Latitude and the GRS-1. The text files without number were created on the Latitude and show the GRS-1 Bluetooth capabilities as seen from the Latitude. The text files with the suffix "_2" in the file name show the propagated services as seen from a different laptop. (I didn't find versions of the 3 utilities, that could be executed on the GRS-1, a WindowsMobile 6.1 device.)

More details show the logfiles created with the Microsoft Bluetooth Virtual Sniffer (BTVS) in combination with the Frontline viewer. Winmobile.inq was created on the Latitude, while Dell.inq again was created on the second Laptop.

A log of the pairing process of the Latitude and the GRS-1 (as seen on the Latitude) is saved in BTSession.matp and was created with the Microsoft Message Analyzer tool with default Bluetooth log filter activated.

I hope, you and your colleagues find the necessary information inside these files. If not, please describe in detail, what tools need to be run with which settings.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg,

Thank you for attaching the information requested. We will review it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg, 

We would like to have these log files using the following tools:

1. Air sniffer logs

Air sniffer logs can be collected using Ellisys Bluetooth analyzer

2. HCI / snoop logs & MSFT stack logs

HCI and snoop logs can be collected using latest ibttracetool.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg, 

Could you please attach these log files using the following tools?

1. Air sniffer logs

Air sniffer logs can be collected using Ellisys Bluetooth analyzer

2. HCI / snoop logs & MSFT stack logs

HCI and snoop logs can be collected using latest ibttracetool.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
BeRoBbg
Beginner

Hello Wanner G.,

I got the Dell Latitude back from the field again and updated the Bluetooth driver to v21.20.04. SPP connection to the GRS-1 was still not possible. Afterwards I created part of the logs you wanted. (And additional ones as a supplement.) In detail:

> 1. Air sniffer logs

> Air sniffer logs can be collected using Ellisys Bluetooth analyzer

To create such air sniffer logs we'd need to buy an Ellisys analyzer hardware device, which is far too expensive for the question at hands. The software provided by Ellisys is (only) used to view and analyze log files created by their hardware devices or similar log files from other sources. Mario Pasquali from Ellisys kindly explained, that logging Bluetooth traffic from the air requires very sophisticated equipment, because of the nature of the Bluetooth communication standards. He suggested to alternatively try (as a test whether the problem is specific to the Windows setup) to establish the connection to a Linux system installed side-by-side to Win10 on the Dell Latitude. I did this and got no SPP connection to work with Linux, either. You'll find some logfile excerpts (in BlueZ Bluetooth debug mode), the output of several tools showing Bluetooth status information and a btmon log of the pairing process of the GRS-1 and the Dell as BTSnoop file and as plain text attached to this answer (Linux_BT-Test.zip).

> 2. HCI / snoop logs & MSFT stack logs

> HCI and snoop logs can be collected using latest ibttracetool

Hm. The ibttracetool consists of a couple of Powershell scripts calling the internal ibtver.exe Intel tool, tracelog.exe from Windows DDK and PsExec.exe from SysInternals. It seems that the last time they were part of an Intel Bluetooth driver package (maybe even accidentally?!) was about 5 years ago in some of the v17.1 driver packages. After fetching them (and replacing the DDK and SysInternal tools by current versions) I run them on the Dell. I really don't know, though, whether the created logs contain the information you requested. Be it as it may: You'll find the logs inside the attached DESKTOP-7T0A49M-7-5-8490.ZIP. If the scripts were too old to create the necessary information, then please provide a download link to a more current version of ibttracetool.

Both *.zip files are put together in BTTest2.zip.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello BeRoBbg, 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos