Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Can Intel AC 9260 Bluetooth work with 4 concurrent PlayStation DualShock 4 controllers?

thiagoricciardi

I have an Intel Wireless AC 9260 adapter installed in my laptop.

This Wireless adapter's specs indicates that it's compliant with Bluetooth EDR, so it should be compatible to PlayStation's DualShock 4 controllers.

It worked greatly with one, two and even three controllers at the same time, but just a few seconds after I added the fourth, all of them disconnects.

Broadcom Bluetooth-only adapters do not show this behavior (tested with BCM2045 - 2.1EDR, and BCM20702 - 4.0EDR, did not tested with other models yet).

My question is:

This is by design or it's a bug?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello thiagoricciardi Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Does the same behavior if you connect the 4 PlayStation's DualShock 4 controllers connected by USB (no Bluetooth connection)? • Do you have the same connection lost if you use 4 different Bluetooth devices? • Does the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 come pre installed on the laptop? • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
thiagoricciardi

Thanks a lot for your response!

Does the same behavior if you connect the 4 PlayStation's DualShock 4 controllers connected by USB (no Bluetooth connection)?

No. I tested with all 4 controllers connected through USB cabling, it works fine. Also disabling the Intel Bluetooth and adding a Broadcom Bluetooth USB adapter (BCM2045 or BCM20702) does not show this problem either.

Do you have the same connection lost if you use 4 different Bluetooth devices?

It doesn't seems to be the case. Tested with a BT Mouse, BT Keyboard and BT Speaker along with 3 controllers (total of 6 devices), it worked fine. (I do not have more Bluetooth devices around that are not these controllers)

When I connect the fourth controller (resulting in 7 devices total for this test), after some time, all the controllers (only the controllers) are disconnected. If really only the controllers are disconnected or the other devices automatically remake their connections I'm not aware, but these devices kept functioning without further intervention (the music in the BT Speaker went a little robotic for a while, but then everything got back to normal, except the controllers, those needed to be reconnected).

Does the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 come pre installed on the laptop?

No. I upgraded from Wireless-AC 7265 that came with my laptop.

Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate:

Attached.

If you need more information, feel free to ask.

Thanks again!

Best Regards!

Thiago Ricciardi

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello thiagoricciardi Thank you for all the information, Can you try a clean install of the wireless and Bluetooth driver on the system? You can follow the steps on the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html, once you uninstall both drivers you can reinstall the driver 21.0.0 (latest) on the following links: Bluetooth (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28685/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10), wireless (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters). Keep in mind that since you mentioned that you have performed an integration on the system we cannot guarantee that t would work correctly on the system and we cannot validate the integrations, you can refer to the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html. If after the driver install the behavior persist you can contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) DELL™ for assistance with the OEM drivers. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello thiagoricciardi Were you able to test the steps provided? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
thiagoricciardi

Hi Leonardo C.

Sorry about the delayed response, I did not have access to the computer these days...

I was able to do the tests with the refreshed drivers, but unfortunately the behavior has not changed.

It's interesting that the controllers disconnection is not constant, it's not right after you pair the 4th controller. Sometimes the disconnection takes seconds, and other times it takes 2-3 minutes, but always disconnects all 4 controllers and not the other Bluetooth devices.

It does not seem to me that this is an integration problem as the other Bluetooth devices and Wi-Fi networks works flawlessly. In my conception this means that the interface, antennas and drivers are working as intended, with exception of only PlayStation controllers.

Additionally, should I test with the original (OEM) adapter to check the behavior?

Can we do anything else to try to solve this problem?

Best regards!

Thiago Ricciardi

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello thiagoricciardi Yes. if would be good to test with the original (OEM) adapter of the system 9once you change the adapter please complete a clean install of the drivers), please let us know the outcome. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello thiagoricciardi Since this behavior happens with the integration of the wireless adapter on the system we recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), as we have mentioned previously. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
thiagoricciardi

Dear Leonardo C.

Sorry about the lack of decent feedback and time to address this but I was doing a simple study of Wireless adapters on the same computer to respond you, and the last adapter I wanted to try just arrived today.

After doing some studies, I'm really sorry, but I'll have to disagree with the answer that this is an integration issue.

See I have tested this (4 Playstation controllers at the same time) scenario with 5 different wireless adapters:

• The latest Intel AX200NGW
  • The original (OEM) Intel 7265NGW
  • The problematic Intel 9260NGW
  • A Broadcom BCM94350ZAE - Dell DW1820A
  • A Qualcomm QCNFA364A - Dell Killer 1535 VM1D6

All of them successfully provided a smooth experience while playing games with 4 controllers connected. The only one that randomly disconnects all controllers is the 9260NGW.

Another thing I tested, since you have told me that this could be an integration issue, was a Main/Aux antenna swap on the 9260NGW. But the results where the same.

I'm going to insist in asking if this could not be a driver issue.

I'm just reporting for the sake of other users that could have the same issue with Playstation controllers and the 9260NGW, since I'm happy with the AX200NGW on my machine right now.

Best regards!

Thiago Ricciardi

teeedubb
Novice

Hi,

@thiagoricciardi 

Thanks for your post, but unfortunately I only found it after buying a 9260 and a second DS4 I know its been a while since you posted but I'd like to confirm that you are still not having issues with other intel wifi/bt adapters as stated in your last post?

@Leonardo_C_Intel and intel in general

I am having the same issue as described in this thread:

*In Win 10 x64 one DS4 connects fine, but as soon as I try a second controller it struggles to pair or connect. I need to pair one, turn it off then pair the second. Even then, it is very rare the second controller is able to connect and be useable. Either controller connects fine if it is the first one to connect. The second controller will connect and disconnect a short time afterwards.

*I have tried on 2 separate Win 10 machines with a 9260 card with identical results.

*I have no issues connecting both controllers on the same hardware running Ubuntu 20.04.

*Both controllers are able to connect when using a cheap, no-name usb CSR bluetooth 4.0 adapter with win 10 on both systems

*I have no issue connecting a range of other devices with win 10 and the 9260, though this is the first time I have tried connecting 2 of the same device for use in tandem.

It is really disappointing that the DS4 controllers do not work on intel hardware, but work fine with a cheaper substitute and that the intel part does not "dramatically improve your connected experience at home" as advertised.

Is there any work being done to fix the ability of the 9260 to connect to multiple Dualshock 4 controllers?

Is there anywhere I can file a bug in regards to this issue?

0 Kudos
teeedubb
Novice

SSU logs attached.

Also, I have made sure I have tried with the latest intel driver and still experience the same issue.

0 Kudos
thiagoricciardi

Dear @teeedubb,

I can confirm that the AX200NGW work as intended with 4 DS4 controllers connected at the same time, I don't have more than 4 units to test, and the last time I hooked 4 of them was around 6 months ago (I only have 2 of them with me right now due to the pandemics situation), but they always worked flawlessly on the latest AX200NGW adapter.

For the record, my laptop is a DELL Inspiron 2-in-1 7573, but I do not think this is a game changer, it looks to me that it is the hardware, firmware or driver of the 9260 adapter that cannot handle the DS4 controllers correctly, since you are reporting that with Ubuntu they work fine, it may be a driver issue.

As I said before, I'm eager to help, if Intel or anybody else needs any information or test that I can provide, feel free to ask.

Best Regards!
Thiago Ricciardi

teeedubb
Novice

Thanks for the confirmation @thiagoricciardi 

I too do not believe that this is a system integration issue and I too believe that it is a driver issue - the card works fine with ubuntu 20.04, windows 10 has no issue with another adapter and other cards work fine.

Hopefully intel can fix this issue.

0 Kudos
teeedubb
Novice

I just replaced the 9260 with a 7265 from a linux only machine and two DS4's paired instantly, have remained connected while typing this post and are both visible in Windows 10 game controller config and DS4Windows.

So it appears that the 9260 is the issue, most likely the windows driver since it works fine in Ubuntu 20.04. For the record, I updated to Win 10 20H2 and the issue was still there with the 9260.

I'll update this thread if anything changes in regards to the 7265.

0 Kudos
filament
Novice

Hi everyone,

I struggle with this problem since the day I bought a new PC seven month ago. The mainboard is an X570 from Gigabyte with an AX200. Before that I used a notebook with an AX200 too with no problems.

I used two ds4 with ds4windows and in the beginnig the connection and pairing issues where very rare. But at some point the second ds4 wasn't able to connect at all. After a while I noticed that I was able to connect the second one only when Steam was running. So I came to terms with the new situation and stopped using ds4windows.

But then I bought two of these new dualsense controllers and now I wasn't able to connect the second controller even when Steam was runnin. On my old notebook still no problems using two controllers. I tried to isolate the problem by the usual procedure...

- update all device drivers including BIOS, firmware etc.

- reinstall Windows to newest version

- replace AX200 with a new one

Nothing helped and so I decided to try a different way. And here is the clue.

When I was rollin back the driver from newest to oldest version I stopped at 21.0.0.4, which has been quite stable so far. No connection or pairing issues.

Hope this helps someone with similar symptoms and save some hours and nerves.

But there are few question left. Whats the gamechanger in the intel driver? Are there some fundamental changes from version 21.0.0.4 to higher ones? Some new features? I don’t get it. Why is it workin with a driver which is almost twenty month old?

MilesWest
Beginner

I have been trying to solve a similar issue. Because I have a fairly new laptop, my driver rollback doesn't go that far. Any idea where I can access the 21.0.0.4 driver to test out on my system?

0 Kudos
filament
Novice

Hi MilesWest,

I got this driverversion from the official site of my mobo. Here is the Link...

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_607_setup_21.0.1.zip

D1Vad
Novice

@filament you are a legend!!

I have used 4x PS4 controllers for a long time on 2x inbuilt Bluetooth systems with no problems. But newest PC build (MB: Asus B550-I,  BT: Intel AX200) had this disconnecting issue using 2 or more controllers. I already wasted a day and a full format but you have saved me so much time.

@MilesWest

I also have a newer Wifi/BT card "AX200" so my the Bluetooth drivers only got back to 21.90.0.4 (Asus website). I didn't want to use filament's Gigabyte .exe as I thought it might have stuff specific to his motherboard. 

On Intel's website it says to use the same BT driver for: AX210, AX201, AX200, 9560, 9462, 9461, 9260, 8260, 18260, 8265, 18265

So I found an older laptop (ASUSPRO P1440) that has the 9260, and the Bluetooth drivers (.zip) go way back.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Commercial_NB/DriversForWin10/BlueTooth/Bluetooth_DCH_Intel_Win10_64_VER21004.zip

2020/07/10 - V21.90.1.1 - 2.58 MB
2020/05/12 - V21.50.0.1 - 1.3 MB
2020/02/19 - V21.50.0.1 - 1.3 MB
2019/07/05 - V21.0.0.4   - 16.48 MB
2018/08/30 - V20.60.0.4 - 3.74 MB
2017/12/27 - V20.10.0.9 - 17.48 MB
2017/07/27 - V19.80.0.1 -15.13 MB

Curious to note that 21.0.0.4 is a lot larger in size compared to newer ones. Also strange that I can use an older Intel BT driver that was never actually released for my AX200... I guess the BT hardware hasn't changed for some time (granted I don't know anything about how drivers work).

0 Kudos
D1Vad
Novice

Even better workaround friends!!

Using this trick (pic attached), you can get access to the "Power Management" tab for Bluetooth in "Device Manager".

Now that I have the Power Management setting off, latest driver 22.40.0.2 (16-Feb-2021) is working perfect for 7x PS4 controllers

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-missing-bluetooth-power-management-tab/62e63e7d-9954-4898-b2a3-44fed70421c5?page=8

--------- UDPATE ---------

I have gone back to using the old 21.0.0.4 driver.

New driver was still working perfect when my Wifi was disabled. But I took my PC to my OLED TV today for 4k/120hz and the controller issue was back when using Bluetooth+Wifi. I even tried turning off the "power management" setting on the Wifi card but didn't help.

Simple rollback to 21.0.0.4 driver solved the issue.

0 Kudos
thiagoricciardi

Hi friends!

@D1Vad 

That's a very good news, I didn't have had time to try, but it seems promising! Thanks!

@Leonardo_C_Intel 

Does intel has anything to say now that it's confirmed not to be an integration issue?

Is @D1Vad solution the best solution or we should have a driver patch to solve this?

Best regards to all!

Thanks!

Thiago Ricciardi

0 Kudos
D1Vad
Novice

UDPATE

I have gone back to using the old 21.0.0.4 driver.

New driver was still working perfect when my Wifi was disabled. But I took my PC to my OLED TV today for 4k/120hz and the controller issue was back when using Bluetooth+Wifi. I even tried turning off the "power management" setting on the Wifi card but didn't help.

Simple rollback to 21.0.0.4 driver solved the issue.

0 Kudos