Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can't start hotspot

yobson
Novice

Hi, I recently purchased an MSI x570 Unify motherboard which includes an Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 wireless device. It can connect to other wireless networks fine and connect to the internet using Wi-Fi but I cannot start a mobile hotspot within Windows 10 with the device, it just says "We can't set up mobile hotspot". I have made sure the drivers are up to date, version 21.120.2.1 and it still does not work.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello yobson

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please kindly review the following information: Why Hosted and Ad-Hoc Networks Are Not Working on Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023257/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1- Country where you are located (if you prefer, you can send the answer to this question via a private message).

2- Screenshot of the error message.

3- Were you able to set up a hotspot before on this system? Did it work before?

4- Please provide step-by-step details on how you are setting this up. If possible, you may share a short video or screenshots to illustrate the process.

5- the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

yobson
Novice

1: United Kingdom

2: 

3: The previous motherboard installed in this system did not support WiFi at all so no hotspots on there and since installing the new motherboard it has not worked from the beginning, no change.

4: Just enabling WiFi and then attempting to enable a mobile hotspot within the Windows 10 settings app, video here: https://streamable.com/ebnq2k

5: I followed the instructions and attached report.txt

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello yobson

Thank you for your response.

Please review the following steps and provide us with the outcome:

1- Are there additional options under the "Share my Internet connection from" drop-down list? If yes, is the behavior the same if you select another one?

2- Is the behavior the same if you disable Bluetooth and/or if you try to edit the Mobile Hotspot Network settings (Network name, password, and Network band) before trying to enable the feature?

3- Check hosted network support:

• Press the Windows key + X and select Windows® PowerShell (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Enter the following command and press Enter:
  • NETSH WLAN show drivers

4- Check the Internet Connection Sharing service:

• Press the Windows key + R hotkey.
  • Input services.msc in the Run text box and click OK.
  • Double-click Internet Connection Sharing.
  • If the service is disabled, select Manual or Automatic from the Startup type drop-down menu.
  • Click Start to kick-start the service, and then press the OK button.

5- Make sure "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter(s) /#2" are enabled in Device Manager:

• Right-click on Windows® icon, click on Device Manager
  • Click on the View tab and then click on Show hidden devices.
  • Expand the section "Network Adapters", right-click on "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter(s)" and make sure they are enabled. If there are more than one of these Virtual Adapters, try to enable them as well.
  • Test trying to enable the Mobile Hotspot feature in Windows® Settings.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
yobson
Novice

1: There is one other option, Wi-Fi and the behaviour is the same.

2: Bluetooth was off to begin with, tried it with it on and the result is the same. I tried changing the network name and password and it is the same.

3: It says "Hosted network supported : No" but on the page you linked in your original reply (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023257/network-and-i-o/wireless.html) my device is listed under "They do support the new Windows 10 mobile hotspot feature instead via Wi-Fi Direct".

4: The service is already set to Manual (Trigger Start) and is running.

5: The device was already enabled, I tried disabling and then enabling it again and I still get the same error.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello yobson

We would like to recommend performing a clean install of the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers using the customized drivers from the MSI® website*:

• BlueTooth Driver version 21.110.0.3
  • Intel WIFI Driver version 21.110.1.1

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-UNIFY#down-driver&Win10%2064

Please follow these steps:

1- Download and save to your computer the MSI® drivers. To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet.

2- From Windows® Apps & Features app, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (You may skip this step if you don't see Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software) and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose to "Discard settings".

3- Restart the computer.

4- Follow the next steps for a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers steps on this link >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver.

If the issue persists, you may repeat these steps and test a clean install with the latest Intel® generic drivers:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello yobson

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
yobson
Novice
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello yobson

Please allow us to do further research and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
yobson
Novice

I have reinstalled Windows and the feature is now working. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @yobson

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to know that after reinstalling Windows® the feature is now working.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now but if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos