Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Cannot add device through Bluetooth

ZycroNeXuS
Novice

Hello,

Last night, when trying to pair wireless Bluetooth earbuds, I discovered an issue with my computer. Upon trying to open up Windows 10's "Add Device" dialogue, the window closed instantly, and continues to close instantly. I have tried many other methods to fix this, such as restarting my computer, making sure my Bluetooth drivers are up to date with the Intel Driver Assistant, updating Windows, running SFC and DISM system scans, uninstalling and reinstalling my Bluetooth device, using old drivers, restarting the Bluetooth Support Service, and making sure my BIOS is up to date, which I can confirm it is.

I have tried to access the "Add Device" dialogue in multiple different ways, as well, including going through the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel, through the Action Center "Connect" button, and through running the "devicepairingwizard" command, all of which close instantly.

I have a hunch Windows 10 has something to do with it, but from my research into ways to fix this it appears that the Intel drivers may be to blame as well, and if this is the case, hopefully this post can bring the issue to Intel's attention.

I ran the Support Utility Scan over the Wireless category, and have attached the logs as well.

Thank you in advance, and of course let me know if you need any more information.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZycroNeXuS
Novice

I have managed to fix this problem, and will outline my solution for those who might come upon this post later looking for help.

Examining the Application section in the Windows Event Viewer showed me that what was happening was that the Windows process called Shell Experience Host was encountering some sort of crash in kernelbase.dll every time I tried to open the Bluetooth connection dialogue. I can confirm this is the case as I tested it multiple times, and every time I tried to open the Bluetooth dialogue, that new event would appear. As near as I can tell, Shell Experience Host is not normally replaceable (even by a full Windows reinstall, which I had done in the meantime and fixed nothing). What DID work for me was installing the tool here: https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

After installing this program - and yes, I know the website looks a little fishy, but it did actually solve my problem and does not appear to have given me a virus, so I'm willing to forgive it - I followed ALL of its instructions while in Safe Mode (power restore, pre-scan, check disc). I did not do the SFC scan it recommended, because I had just reinstalled, but you might wish to if you do it. Then, in the repairs section, do the default repairs they have picked out for you, and let that run to completion (it might take a while). Upon finishing, it asked me to restart, and when I did, I found that my Bluetooth functionality was working as expected again.

Check to make sure that you are experiencing the same crash that I was if you are experiencing this issue and want to follow through with my steps. I cannot guarantee that they will work for you otherwise.

Thank you to all that have helped me, and good luck to anybody else who may be having this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello ZycroNeXuS,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. I will need the complete report. 

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this issue recent? If so, when did it start?

3. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

4. Is this the original adapter that came with the computer or did you install it?

5. Are you experiencing Wi-Fi issues?

6. Have you tried with the drivers from the laptop/motherboard manufacturer?

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
ZycroNeXuS
Novice

Hello,

1. I've attached the full scan logs.

2. It's impossible for me to say if the issue is recent, I don't normally use Bluetooth.

3. I'm using a laptop.

4. The Bluetooth adapter is built into this laptop.

5. I am not experiencing Wi-Fi issues.

6. I tried to install the Bluetooth drivers directly from the laptop manufacturer's page for this laptop, but they're an older version than the ones currently installed, so the installer won't let me install them.

I should also mention, I have a wireless mouse and headphones that come with their own Bluetooth adapters, and those work fine, because they connect to their specific devices automatically, but they make no difference to my issue. I've tried disconnecting both before, and the issue persists.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ZycroNeXuS, 

Thanks for the information provided, in order to help you further I would like you to try the following:

1. Clean installation of Intel drivers:

- Driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30326/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-gigabit-products.html

2. Rollback Windows version.

3. Check for a BIOS update.

4. Try reinstalling Windows.

5. If none of the previous steps worked, contact Lenovo for further steps.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ZycroNeXuS
Novice

I have managed to fix this problem, and will outline my solution for those who might come upon this post later looking for help.

Examining the Application section in the Windows Event Viewer showed me that what was happening was that the Windows process called Shell Experience Host was encountering some sort of crash in kernelbase.dll every time I tried to open the Bluetooth connection dialogue. I can confirm this is the case as I tested it multiple times, and every time I tried to open the Bluetooth dialogue, that new event would appear. As near as I can tell, Shell Experience Host is not normally replaceable (even by a full Windows reinstall, which I had done in the meantime and fixed nothing). What DID work for me was installing the tool here: https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

After installing this program - and yes, I know the website looks a little fishy, but it did actually solve my problem and does not appear to have given me a virus, so I'm willing to forgive it - I followed ALL of its instructions while in Safe Mode (power restore, pre-scan, check disc). I did not do the SFC scan it recommended, because I had just reinstalled, but you might wish to if you do it. Then, in the repairs section, do the default repairs they have picked out for you, and let that run to completion (it might take a while). Upon finishing, it asked me to restart, and when I did, I found that my Bluetooth functionality was working as expected again.

Check to make sure that you are experiencing the same crash that I was if you are experiencing this issue and want to follow through with my steps. I cannot guarantee that they will work for you otherwise.

Thank you to all that have helped me, and good luck to anybody else who may be having this issue.

0 Kudos