Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Centrino Advanced-N 6235 speed issues and N mode not working

idata
Employee

Hi.

I've this card installed in my new Sony Vaio SVS 1512Z1. The card is supposed to have n mode and going to card setting I have the option "802.11n Mode" in "activated". But, if I force my router to accept only 802.11n clients the connection simply drops and cannot reconnect again. Another laptop with a broadcom card works perfectly in that situation. So where is the problem? Is my card faulty?

In terms of speed it's really poor, it only reaches 30 Mb while the Samsung gets 48 Mb, same place same network same everything for the comparison.

My card came with 15.5.0.42 driver version (august 2012). Updating to latest ones (October 2012) connectivity in n mode is still not possible and speed is even worse, so I've reverted to August drivers.

Can someone point a solution please?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Victor_B_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your post Kiowa,

Please be aware that there are no reported issues regarding the Intel® wireless drivers, this seems to be a hardware issue.

In this case we strongly recommend you to get in touch with your computer manufacturer since there seems to be a hardware issue with your network card and they might need to replace it.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI victor please check most of the thread is about the problem of 6235 centrino.. And no one not a single on from intel answer it or fixed it correctly... Please update your driver to fix the issue...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Victor,

Can you please help out?

Please check the other threads on the Centrino Advanced N6235. No one is helping out with this at all!

We are your customers! Any sort of communication from Intel would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Victor, why don't you look in this post?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

WOW...so Intel is going to pretend there is no problem? Let's see....the thread Boz has mentioned is almost 20 pages long and goes back to August last year! Yes there is a driver problem, the 15.x drivers do not work! The 14.x drivers work best on other cards but it does not support the 6235 card.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

In the engineering world, there is a saying, don't let your software make up for your lack of hardware. This is the exact issue the 6235 is having. If a years worth of updates has not fixed the issue, it is a hardware based error not software. I don't believe Samsung, Dell, Asus and whoever else used the 6235 WiFi card in their devices ALL BUILT TO AN IMPROPER Specification, as Intel would have us believe.

0 Kudos
BWIn
Beginner

It's Mars 2014 now and this issue is still going on! I have replaced my 6235 card and the problems are still there.

I recently bought a Intel NUC i5 (all Intel inside).

When I use a external USB WLAN card, Asus N53, I have no problems at all.

It' obvious that Intel doesn't test their hardware well enough since I detected the problems with the 6235 card within half an hour!

English is not my native language so there may be some errors. Hope you understand nevertheless.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

There is a much larger thread here

Please post in there to keep the thread going. 18 pages 260 responses and still no resolution.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you very much for posting.

We continue monitoring for valuable information in order to provide feedback of the issues. Intel® is aware and actively trying to address the remaining issues not solved with the latest driver release.

I regret any inconvenience caused and thank you again for your understanding.

0 Kudos
SGold5
Beginner

I have Asus Taichi 31 ultrabook and it has centrino advanced-n 6235 chipset wireless too. I guess 15.8 driver version solved the connection dropping problems as well, but there is another big issue is not solved yet. The slow connection problem. I have a very high speed network in my office nad there are a lot of laptops and ultrabooks. Some of them have 802.1n chipsets and some of them have not. The problem is all of the computers and laptops may transfer files over network with a range of 4mb/s to 12mb/s avarage. But Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 can only go up to 750kb/s. I can not work with this computer cause of this chipset and it makes me crazy. Please solve the connection speed problem as well cause this is completely funny that some other cheap 802.11b/g chips are far faster than Centrino Advanced-N. What is the "Advanced" part of this chip? Slowness?

Tip: There is no problem with the internet speed, the problem is about windows network file transfer system. This is the strange part cause windows network system shows me 300 mBps connection speed but transfer speed is so slow.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Samgold, have you tested this in a different network?

0 Kudos
SGold5
Beginner

Yes i did, its the same on other networks too. This is strange cause it shows 300mbps as connection speed.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is very unlikely that the wireless adapter will cause a slowdown in certain types of packets only; this should be specifically related to the network setup.

In case you have installed the Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter in your laptop, as appears to be the case for the first post above, please note that you will need to contact the system manufacturer since this type of integration is not supported. Please refer to the following article.

Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm

Please check the articles below for other recommended troubleshooting steps:

How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm

Access Point (AP) firmware updates may resolve wireless network issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm

If the issue persists after testing different drivers, updating the router's firmware, verify the wireless/security settings and your wireless has never worked properly you may want to contact the computer manufacturer since it could be hardware related.

0 Kudos
SGold5
Beginner

This is strange to see that uploading to the server is fine but downloading is extremely slow. I dont have any antivirus or firewall installed so what does it mean do you think?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am not sure if it is possible to use WPA(2)-AES encryption and avoid any option that uses TKIP as suggested in the articles above. You may also test creating and ad-hoc with another system.

0 Kudos
TMGR
Beginner

Hello,

If you suffer with any problems using the N 6235 adapter and have tried all available drivers please log your H/W details on the attached thread to help Diagnosis.

/thread/43410 http://communities.intel.com/thread/43410

Thanks TechMGR

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

It's been a friggin year, you think you would have this figured out by now geniuses.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I think they're abandoning support for the 6235 and now focusing on the 7260 series which works without problems out of the box with no software tweaks needed.

0 Kudos
JMone
Beginner

Hey see m post here, I have the 6235 and 7260 with the same issue and I was able to fix them.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Besides the slow speed, is the adapter disassociating from the AP?

0 Kudos