Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

Change preferred network order programmatically - Intel ProSet

NAtki1
Beginner

As the title suggests I'm looking for a way to change the preferred network order programmatically, via a script, reg key or direct file manipulation. Does anyone know if this is possible and how it might be done? For reference my primary clients will be Windows7, but interested for Vista and XP also if the process is different. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NickAtkins302,

We understand that you would like to rearrange the order of your preferred networks without using the PROSet GUI.

If your wireless networks are being managed by the operating system, this can be accomplished with the following method:

1. Open Command Prompt (Admin).

1. Use NETSH to see the list of saved networks, and their current order: netsh wlan show profiles

2. This output will allow us to learn the name being used for your wireless interface, and the network's SSID as stored on your system.

3. To rearrange this list, run the following command, but replace "wifi-name" with the name of your network, "interface-name" with your wireless interface, and # with the possition you would like to give to this network: netsh wlan set profileorder name="wifi-name" interface="interface-name" priority=# (example: netsh wlan set profileorder name="5G Network" interface="Wi-Fi" priority=1 )

4. Run the original command again, and the changes should be reflected: netsh wlan show profiles

However, this won't make a difference if you're using our PROSet to manage your WiFi (which is what you're actually asking about). We've requested this information and will share it as soon as we're able to confirm the steps necessary.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
NAtki1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Carlos. You're right in your understanding of my issue. I'm using netsh to configure our Windows-managed Wi-Fi clients, but need to perform the same action on the Intel Proset managed devices. Any help you or your team is able to give is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NickAtkins302,

Once the PROSet has been deployed, the only way manage this list is manually through the GUI.

The closest method that could be used, would be the following:

1. Using the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005649.html Administrator Toolkit, create a custom installer package. Make sure to mark checkbox to "Include Profiles in this package."

1. Administrator toolkit may be accessed via the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility or the Intel® PROSet/Wireless tools.

2. You may then proceed to send the self-extracting executable which will install and configure it's contents when run, or use the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005730.html silent installation method.

We hope this helps, if you would like more detail on any of these points, do let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NickAtkins302,

We hope that you were able to find our steps helpful.

If there's anything else we can help you with, feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos