Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Drivers for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card?

SSyno
Novice

Just put a new system together and installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in it. Used Windows 8 Pro. x64. I cannot find drivers for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Anyone know where I can get drivers for this card? I purchased the card from Provantage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Synomenon,

The drivers will be released soon; this is because the product has not been officially released yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
183 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Synomenon,

The drivers will be released soon; this is because the product has not been officially released yet.

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

Interesting. Isn't Provantage an authorized Intel reseller / provider?

If so, why are they selling unreleased product?

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice
0 Kudos
EMcLe1
Beginner

Looks like there was an official release of drivers for the 7260, but they only run on Windows 8. I have a 7260-AC, but I run Windows 7; should I expect Windows 7 support any time soon?

BHart4
Novice

I've been contacted by several authorized Intel resellers that the AC-7260 is in stock.

So when will it be Officially announce so we can download a driver and software?

The cart before the horse....

0 Kudos
DHale2
Beginner

I too am a proud new owner of an Intel 7260AC that I cannot use yet because no Windows 7 drivers are available. Is there any schedule for when these will be released?

Thanks!

DF

PShu1
Beginner

I also have an AC7260 mpci and need a win7 driver.

Since many win7 drivers work with win8, how difficult would it be to go backwards?

0 Kudos
DBoul1
Novice

I'm also waiting for Win 7 drivers. I have the card. I guess it'll take time. The product specifications say that the supported operating systems are Win 7, Win 8 and Linux. I'll get my new wireless AC router next week so I guess I can wait.

The Win 8 drivers also indicate that "This version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software is for resellers and IT Administrators performing testing with the new Intel wireless adapters." It doesn't look like the official release of the drivers either since they are being released for testing.

Sigh.

BHart4
Novice

I dual boot my notebooks with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8Pro x64 so a Windows 7 driver is essential or else I need to return the 2 AC-7260 cards I purchased.

Intel,are you on the side of the consumer or part of Microsoft's effort to force Windows 8 into a marketplace that doesn't need or want it.

Who in their right mind would manufacture a piece of computer hardware that works with only one operating system that has a small share of the market?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The launch of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is expected during this quarter of the year (Q2'13). The drivers for the compatible operating systems will be released soon; we are also expecting the release of this product and its drivers by the Original Equipment Manufacturers since this is basically an OEM product.

0 Kudos
DBoul1
Novice

Intel has "launched" this card but it is actually intended to be an OEM product. No drivers are available except the Win8 test drivers. Even then, intel won't be supporting the end user. Another way intel supports, but doesn't support their products.

0 Kudos
PShu1
Beginner

joe_intel: The launch of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is expected during this quarter of the year (Q2'13). The drivers for the compatible operating systems will be released soon; we are also expecting the release of this product and its drivers by the Original Equipment Manufacturers since this is basically an OEM product.

Can you give some meaning to the word soon? Days, weeks, months? Does "compatible operating systems" include Windows 7?

As far as who will be releasing the drivers, technically, isn't Intel the OEM for the 7260 card? If you mean the laptop/tablet makers, then why has Intel made a generic version available through normal electronics distribution channels?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Windows 7 will be supported. We currently do not have a timeframe for this release but we are working on it.

In this case OEM product means that it is integrated and sold with a brand system instead of a retail/boxed product distribution.

0 Kudos
LT1
Novice

I am also waiting for the Windows 7 driver version for this card.

The Windows 8 x64 INF file isn't coded for Windows 7 at all... See here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/716325-intel-7260-a-5.html http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/716325-intel-7260-a-5.html

There is also another thread about the lack of drivers for Windows 7 here:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/finally-intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-wi-fi-card-for-notebooks.68662/ Finally! Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Wi-fi Card for Notebooks | LinksysInfo.org

Sadly, a simple INF modification is not enough to make the driver work under Win7 x64... I tried it. C'mon Intel... get the Windows 7 x64 driver out already!

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

How about Linux? We getting a driver too? There are a lot of people in Linux that are eager to use this card. Myself included.

0 Kudos
LT1
Novice

Linux already has a driver. You'll have to get the sources from wireless-testing git and compile it. See the discussion after about the middle of page 5 here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/716325-intel-7260-a-5.html Intel 7260? - Page 5

0 Kudos
PSmit14
Novice

joe_intel wrote:

Windows 7 will be supported. We currently do not have a timeframe for this release but we are working on it.

In this case OEM product means that it is integrated and sold with a brand system instead of a retail/boxed product distribution.

Hi Joe_intel,

Do you happen to have an update on Win 7 x64 drivers for the 7260 WiFi card yet?

Eta, go jump in the lake, anything?

BHart4
Novice

There's far far far more users of Windows 7 than Windows 8 so why does Windows 8 get a driver on June 12th and still no driver for Windows 7?????????

There should have been a Windows 7 driver released at the same time as Windows 8 unless Intel is drinking the Microsoft Kool Aid.

0 Kudos
LT1
Novice

I agree, c'mon Intel, release the Windows 7 driver, even if it is an alpha or beta... even the Linux team has already released their drivers!

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Okay. July 7. Still no Windows 7 drivers. COME ON INTEL. Don't make me call you...

Anyone know if the drivers are in the Linux Mainline kernel?

0 Kudos