Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band AC-7260 will not connect to 5 Ghz wireless network

JCala2
Beginner

I have a HP DV7T-6XXX CTO notebook running Windows 7 x64 that has the wifi card upgraded to the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 for the purpose of being able to connect to my Motorola SBG6782-AC Dual Band router. The latest drivers have been downloaded and installed from the Intel website. There is no problem connecting to the 2.4 Ghz network and the 5 Ghz network IS visible as an available network but, it will not connect to the internet on the 5 Ghz band. Pinging the router when "connected" on 5 Ghz confirms connection to the router.

I have tried restarting my router, removing all security settings from both the router and computer and have deleted the 2.4 Ghz connection and then set up a new 5 Ghz wireless connection and have also changed adapter settings to "Prefer 5 Ghz" -- all with the same results.

I have contacted Motorola Tech Support and, after almost an hour on the phone with them, the tech was stumped as well so, I'm hoping that someone on here will be able to tell me what I have overlooked. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. acC network problem

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please elaborate about what exactly happens when you try to connect. Are you receiving any message? How are you pinging the AP over 5 GHz if it does not connect?

Kindly indicate the operating system and connection method; you may use Intel® Proset Software to manage the wireless connection instead of Windows* WLAN Auto-Configuration (or viceversa).

0 Kudos
JCala2
Beginner

Hey Joe, Thanks for your reply. What I have learned about this issue since posting this question is, when I try to connect to the internet using the 5 GHz network ( either using the Intel Proset software or Windows WLAN ), the "pinwheel" spins for 30 - 60 seconds and then give me the message that I am connected with "Limited Access" -- I can ping the AP but not connect to the internet. Now, if I take the laptop into the same room as the modem / router ( Motorola SBG6782-AC ) and again try to connect, I CAN connect to the internet on the 5 GHz band and my connection speed is no better or worse than my 2.4 GHz connection ( about 72 - 144 Mbps ). If I then take the laptop out of the room -- the wireless connection to the AP is still active BUT, I lose internet access ( "Limited Access" ) again.

When you read this, you will probably think the same thing that I did at first -- it's an antenna issue or interference from the walls between the AP and the usual place that the computer is but, the 2.4 GHz connection is almost instantaneous when selected and is available anywhere in the house or even outdoors ( on the deck, etc. ) -- Same antenna, right ? The AP's antenna is internal. Also, if it was the antenna, it would drop the connection to the AP and not just lose the internet access, right ?

The operating system is Windows 7 ( x64 ) Professional. My Bios is Insyde ver. F01B but has been "altered" with "No Whitelist" to be able to use the Intel 7260-AC card in my HP Pavilion DV7T-6000 CTO notebook.

Thanks again for your help ! I'll look forward to your next response.

0 Kudos
KYama20
Beginner

jmcalafactor - I had a similar issue you described on this forum thread. I installed this card into my desktop with a mini pcie to pcie adapter. It worked great for couple of days using the wireless AC with no problems. Windows 8.1 was reporting 600+mbps until today. The wireless card is acquiring a valid LAN IP but it won't route "LIMITED ACCESS" for some reason. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver without any luck. I have not moved my pc, moved the router or modified any configuration on my router. I even tried modifying the advanced wireless nic setting with no luck.

Preferred Band: 2.4 and 5.2ghz

Wireless Mode: Tried each option.

The generic response by intel "The 5 GHz band is usually more susceptible to walls and obstacles. " doesn't apply here. My other AC enabled devices works fine next to the machine i have issues with.

My macbook pro sitting right next to me as i type is working just fine.

Hope Intel can work their magic by providing a driver that resolves these issues.

0 Kudos
RAber1
Beginner

I had this exact same problem. Intel 7260 in an Asus G751, brand new, 2.4 GHz no problem, 5GHz no go. My Broadcom Asus G750 connects at 5GHz instantly. Have a 1 year old Motorola/Aris AC AP and a TP Link AC1300. Intel does not work at 5GHz on either, Broadcom works on both. Laptops sitting side by side.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The 5 GHz band is usually more susceptible to walls and obstacles. On the other hand, I understand that this wireless adapter did not come preinstalled with your system and we should note that wireless hardware integration on laptops is not directly supported by Intel due to the required local regulatory approvals that apply to your system as a whole, including the wireless adapters and antennas.

We suggest contacting the system manufacturer since only they are authorized to provide the list of certified adapters that are compatible with your system and how to proceed with the corresponding hardware integration.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

0 Kudos
KYama20
Beginner

Jmcalafactor - I finally got my 7260AC adapter to work however the wifi performance took a hit. I ended up uninstalling the Intel pro software and rolled the driver back to the default driver (Date 03/21/2013 Version 16.0.0.62) available in Windows 8.1. I'm not reaching 600+ mbps but at least i'm now connected. The wifi seems to fluctuate between 58Mbps ~ 350Mbps. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MKopp
Beginner

Agreed that the stock "The 5 GHz band is usually more susceptible to walls and obstacles" line is moot. 5GHz may be more susceptible to dBi loss, but it also has less interference. In reality, in an indoor environment, they signals are about the same. Outdoors is a different story. It also very much depends on your antennae.

That said, I'm having this same issue with a couple of customer laptops. They're running Win 8.1. 2.4GHz works properly, 5GHz does not. If the AP is set to urge or force 5GHz - the laptops will not connect. If the laptops are set to prefer 5.2GHz, they don't connect. The clients aren't making it to the RADIUS handshake, they're dying out at:

03/12/2014 12:43:00 PM FCF8AE558EE4 DETAIL (755)Receive message from RADIUS Server: code=11 (Access-Challenge) identifier=34 length=64

03/12/2014 12:43:41 PM FCF8AE558EE4 BASIC (757)Sta(at if=wifi1.2) is de-authenticated because of notification of driver

or after

03/12/2014 12:45:35 PM FCF8AE558EE4 INFO (794)IEEE802.1X auth is starting (at if=wifi1.2)

03/12/2014 12:46:16 PM FCF8AE558EE4 BASIC (796)Sta(at if=wifi1.2) is de-authenticated because of notification of driver

I can't for the life of me understand why an 802.11ac product, made to standard doesn't work with 802.11na. Even setting the channels to 20MHz, 40Mhz Above, 40MHz Below has no change.

The clients can ONLY connect at 2.4Ghz. Intel needs to get their act together - they're better than this. 2.4GHz is too congested and 802.11ac v2 is right around the [all too expensive] corner...

0 Kudos
MBona2
Beginner

Been reading the forum posts here about the issues with the 7260hmw NIC. I know that there are problems with Win8.1 and 802.1X networks, and others have had to disable "PMK caching" on the client with better performance results. Has anyone tried that yet? Also, is band steering causing the 2.4 authentication process to time-out? Is it deciding to roam and default to 2.4 over 5.8? It looks like the driver is disconnecting itself for some reason, and your server is getting that message.

As far as 2.4 coverage vs 5.8 coverage being about the same, this isn't really true. 2.4 propagation travels twice the distance as 5.8 at the same power output. This is how the physics works. Now, it may seem the same speed but the MCS is higher for 5.8 over 2.4 at the same distance & similar power levels.

0 Kudos
AStiv
Beginner

Same issue here. Have a new Dell XPS8700 desktop with Windows 10 and the Intel AC-7260 WiFi card (included from Dell with system). Have a 2.4Ghz+5Ghz wireless network. AC7260 does not find the 5GHz network, just the 2.4Ghz. Spoke with my ISP and they said it's probably that the card doesn't support 5Ghz. I don't see the Ghz specs on the AC-7260 specs PDF, so could someone please let me know a) is this frequency supported and b) if so, how is it enabled so I can use the 5GHz network. Thank you.

0 Kudos
nbhar3
Novice

I had the same problem listed by OP and after hours trying to fix it with various drivers and I was not able to connect to 5Ghz network. I noticed in my router there was an option to select region under 5Ghz I changed this to Australia and everything worked fine. Hope it helps someone