Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 - No connection with Windows10

Tjareson
Beginner

Hello,

I'm running out of options what I could try to fix this tech issue here:
I have an AWOW AK34 MiniPC with Ubuntu and Windows 10, dual boot with GRUB bootloader.
Wireless module is the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC3165. If I run this computer with Ubuntu the wifi connect works fine, no issues at all. (Connecting to a Unifi access point as well as to a mobile hot spot)

With Windows 10 it just doesn't work. I've read through almost all other descriptions here, but I cannot get the AC3165 to work. As it works with Ubuntu, I guess it must be a driver problem somehow. 
I've already resetted the network configuration, installed all Windows updates, installed the latest Intel WLAN drivers. Ran this Intel hardware analysis tool with automated driver update afterwards. 
Result is always the same: it shows mostly connected, no internet, or just connected, but there is never an internet access possible. I do not even reach local IP addresses. It's really frustrating. 

The Windows installation is just 3 days old, so almost nothing is installed, as I was busy from day 1 with fixing the intel issues. 

What else can be done?

kind regards

Tjareson

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Tjareson, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Did the system work before? If yes, did you make any changes before the issue started?  

3. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both? 

4. Does this issue happen on different networks? 

5. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Tjareson
Beginner

Hello Sebastian,

1. Pls. find attached report

2. No, the system (Windows10) installation didn't exist before. The system has an Ubuntu 20.04 installation (where everything works fine) and Windows 10 was installed on a second SSD. System start-up happens in a dual boot setup (GRUB)

3. I'm having issues with the WLAN connection only. I've just connected a BT loudspeaker to test and it works w/o problems. 

4. As mentioned in the initial posting it happens on different WLAN networks with different hardware I've tried UNIFI access points, tp-link mobile LTE hotspot and iPhone 8 hotspot, no connection works using any of them. If I boot the same hardware with Ubuntu 20.04, every kind of wlan connection works.
(Right now I've connected the mobile LTE hotspot via USB (NDIS) to be able to upload the report from this machine...)

5. Yes, the adapter is part of the original hardware configuration. I also don't think that we are having a hardware issue here, as the same hardware is working just fine if I boot linux.

Best,
Tjareson

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Tjareson,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please provide the following: 

1. Can you confirm if there is an error in the device manager? Please provide a screenshot of it. 

2. What are the advanced wireless settings that you have? The Intel® SSU log did not include them so I would like to review that also. Follow this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html  

I will additionally recommend you to use the recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-io/wireless.html  

3. Try the following steps to the letter to perform a clean installation of the latest wireless drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html  

Step 1: Download and save the driver on your computer (use both, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth): 

Step 2: Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver. 

1. Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver. 
    1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Expand the Network Adapters category. 
    3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device
    5. Repeat steps A through D until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out. 

2. Restart your computer. 

Step 3: Driver installation. 

Locate the driver downloaded in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

4. Have you checked with your system manufacturer (OEM) for customized drivers for your system? Chances are that you need compatible drivers with this specific hardware.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Tjareson,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Tjareson,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. I will additionally recommend you to check with your OEM for compatibility issues with the drivers, as we mentioned; chances are that you need customized drivers for your system.

If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos