Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is set MAC address ramdomly. I hope the fixed MAC address.

YIked1
Beginner

The laptop is Windows 10 pro (ver1809). The wireless driver version is 20.50.0.5. Network and Internet > random hardware is OFF. There is not any application to change MAC address like VPN software. I tried setting the fixed MAC address on the device manager, but is is impossible to set because there is no place to input. I don't want to change the registry. How should I do to use only Intel MAC address.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

What do you exactly mean by "Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is set MAC address ramdomly".

Is the MAC address of the device changing without no user-software interaction? Where are you seeing/noticing it is changing?

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

This is not possible. For security reasons, Intel does not support this practice.

The Media Access Control (MAC) address is hard-coded on Intel wireless adapters and cannot be changed.

Some third-party software applications can "spoof" a MAC address to a different address, but for security reasons, Intel does not support this practice.

Beginning with 12.x wireless driver package, the possibility of "spoofing" the MAC address was blocked to prevent this practice.

0 Kudos