Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Error installing the latest bluetooth driver for windows 7 64 bit (JP-BT_17.1.1411.1504_s64)

SCher7
Beginner

While installing the latest bluetooth driver for windows 7 (JP-BT_17.1.1411.1504_s64) the installation fails with this error popup: "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it ...". Does anyone know how to fix this error? The OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit, the computer is Dell Latitude E6540.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello svcher,

It's possible that you may be downloading the wrong driver package.

Please keep in mind that we always recommend the driver provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM) as your first choice. The versions provided through our download center are generic, as they don't take into consideration any possible changes or feature customizations made to your adapter.

- http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers/advanced?os=w764 Support for Dell Latitude* E6540.

- http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=K59N9 Intel® Bluetooth Drivers for Dell Latitude* E6540

This aside, our latest published generic Bluetooth* driver package is version 19.40.1702:

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005489.html Download Intel® Wireless Bluetooth* Software.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26582/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windows-7- BT_19.40.1702_64_Win7.exe

Please try one of these two downloads and let us know if the issue persists, or if you have any additional questions.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SCher7
Beginner

Hello Carlos, thanks for looking into this.

I tried to install both drivers:

- first the one from Dell website (Network_Driver_K59N9_WN32_19.0.1603.630_A12.EXE)

- then the one from Intel website (BT_19.40.1702_64_Win7.exe)

Both produced the same error popup I included in the first post.

The error message is really not helpful, does not provide any hints

on how to resolve this problem. It cannot be that the files are corrupted

because I have downloaded them many times.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svcher,

I know this may sound odd, but you may have some type of user account corruption issue. I've seen similar issues before where your downloads or temporary files become corrupted or inaccessible. Let's try this to test it out:

1. Open an administrator Command Prompt window

2. Type: "net user administrator /active:yes" press enter and close the window.

3. Switch over to your freshly enabled built-in admin account

4. Download and install your choice driver.

If this works, your driver will already be installed, you may simply disable the built-in admin account and carry on, or create a new user account for yourself.

To disable the administrator account, open an admin CMD again, and input "net user administrator /active:no" then press enter and reboot your computer.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SCher7
Beginner

Carlos,

Unfortunately the trick with "net user administrator ..." this did not help. I logged in as Administrator and re-downloaded

the two Bluetooth drivers you mentioned in the first reply, but got the same error when trying to install either of them.

I ended up downloading and running Driver Booster from www.iobit.com, which updated a lot of drivers on my laptop,

including the Bluetooth driver:

Now I am able to pair devices like headsets or phones with the laptop, however

Windows appears to be unable to find drivers for any of these devices:

I did not mention this in the original question, but all these devices worked fine

few months ago (I have not used Bluetooth for a while).

So although I have a driver now and the Bluetooth radio appears to be working,

something is still wrong with the system and Bluetooth is still not functional.

Not sure if this is driver issue or Windows issue. The fact that I cannot install

drivers from Intel or Dell, together with the fact that Windows cannot find

drivers for any of my Bluetooth devices, points to a Windows problem.

I understand that this problem is unlikely to have much to do with Intel hardware

or software, but if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, I would appreciate that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svcher,

Please check to see if you have any of the following Windows* updates installed on your system:

- KB3161608

- KB3172605

- KB3133977

- KB3179573

In Windows* 7 you can check your installed updates from within the Programs and Features ("Uninstall a program") in the Control Panel. Where you will have a View Installed Updates option.

If any are installed, please remove them first then perform the following steps for a clean installation of your Bluetooth* drivers:

1. Uninstall the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) software from your Programs and Features.

2. Open your Device Manager > Bluetooth* Radios > Right click on your Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) and choose to uninstall. If prompted, select to delete driver software.

3. Reboot your computer.

4. Install the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26666/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windows-7-?v=t Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software for Windows 7* (a new version was released on 28th of March).

This time, you shouldn't have any issues installing the Bluetooth* drivers nor using your devices. Once you have updated to our latest driver you shouldn't have any aditional issues even if those Windows* updates are reinstalled (so long as they are installed again after you updated your driver).

Please let us know if this works or if the issues persist.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SCher7
Beginner

Carlos,

None of the KB* updates you mention are present on my laptop.

I searched for the updates by analyzing output of this shell command:

> wmic qfe list brief /format:texttablewsys > updates.txt

No sure what else I can do other than perhaps switch to Windows 10,

as some of my friends have being suggesting.

Thanks,

Sergey.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

svcher - What is the Bluetooth hardware ID?

0 Kudos
SCher7
Beginner

Under "Bluetooth radios" in "Device Manager" I see "Inter (R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)":

and "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator":

Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

svcher,

It was a long shot. More than likely those updates and the issues they caused were already removed by a later update.

You could also make sure that you're running the latest BIOS release for your system, as this often fixes Bluetooth* issues. Or you could give our IT Admin Bluetooth* package a try: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26668/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-IT-Administrators?v=t BT_19.40.1_64_Win7.zip.

If all else fails, upgrading to Windows® 10 (if you're up for it), or a clean installation of your current OS should resolve the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Carlos, 19.40 will not work for 8087&07DA.

@svcher - In case if you use BT for classic BT HID devices or audio streaming then you do not need to install any Intel driver. Just uninstall it. Do a cold boot. It should come up as

a Generic BT adapter. you should be good to go.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Muthu Kumar,

Good looking out! Thank you.

When I reviewed the specifications for the Dell Latitude* E6540 laptop I somehow did not originally notice they also list the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 as one of the possibilities.I only saw our current models being listed (the 18260/17265/8260/7265/7260/3165 models).

However, this means the original download posted with this thread was correct, leaving us in the same place. In this case the problem seems to be not only when installing the adapter drivers, but when adding a new Bluetooth* device as well. I originally suspected it was http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000022410.html this issue, as all of the symptoms seem to match, but none of the known problematic updates where installed.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello svcher,

Did a clean OS installation help resolve your issue?

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
SCher7
Beginner

I plan to switch to Window 10, will let you know if that resolved the issue.

Should be able to get it done within the next couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

svcher,

I'm sure that will resolve the problem.

If we hear of any similar problems or fixes, we will also update your thread.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos