I have a Intel Dual Band WiFi 8260 that came pre-installed with my purchase of an MSI Z170i Gaming Pro Motherboard.
After having built my PC a few weeks ago it has been working perfectly until 2 days ago when the Bluetooth suddenly decided it didn't exist. The situation was that the computer was sleeping and when I tried to wake it up by tapping a key on the keyboard or mouse it just didn't respond. I turned it on using the power switch and found that my keyboard and mouse just wouldn't respond anymore. To cut a long story short this is the situation and what I have tried:
- I am running Windows 10 PRO
- My WiFi works fine but the Bluetooth does not. Not only has the Bluetooth option disappeared in settings but nothing even shows up in Device Manager, it's as if according to the PC the hardware just isn't there.
- I have tried everything including a system restore, disabling/removing and reinstalling all drivers using both control panel and device manager, trying different versions of the drivers including the latest on intels website as well as previous versions on the MSI website. I have also tried updating Windows 10 to the latest versions and doing a full system restore. None of this has worked, the Bluetooth option just will not show. I have even checked the connections on the motherboard itself and all seems fine. I have also clicked on the Network Adapter (Intel 8260) in device manager and unchecked the box that allows the PC to turn it off to save power (I suspected this due to the problem happening after the PC automatically went to sleep).
Given the above I suspect this is a hardware issue as I cannot think of anything else to try - I have therefore raised a ticket with the supplier of the motherboard, however in the meantime is there anything anyone can suggest? After some googling it seems these cards can be quite temperamental...
We understand you already contacted the motherboard manufacturer in order to obtain further assistance. Since you have created a service ticket with them, it would be ideal to wait for their response. However, since you have Windows®10 installed and you have done a plethora of troubleshooting to no avail. There are a few steps that you can try while witing for MSI's response.
Step # 1 - Run Windows* native tool called Windows* Troubleshooter, it is a built-in tool that can help you solve a lot of system-related problems. Here is how you do it:
1. Click the start botton, then type troubleshooting in the search bar.
2. Click the troubleshooting Icon and then click on Hardware and Sound.
3. Under the Hardware and Sound, please choose Hardware and devices.
4. Click Next and follow the instructions to complete the troubleshooting.
Step # 2 - Peform a clean uninstall of the Bluetooth drivers to the point that the OS will no longer recognize it.
1. Reboot the PC and scan it for any hardware changes.
2. Remove any previously installed Bluetooth* devices.
3. Once you have confirmed there is no files left, re-install from scratch the latest drivers (18.16.1) found in our donwload center. For your conveniece, here is link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25840/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Bluetooth-technology-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows® 10 - File Name: BT_18.16.1_64_Win10.exe
4. Check with the Bluetooth* keyboard and mouse manufacturer if they have new drivers available for Windows®10
*5. We have to mention that depending on the manufacturer, Windows* is able to re-install the drivers after an uninstall.
Step # 3 - Another option would be to use our Intel® Driver Update Utility as this option may help you as well. Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu Intel® Driver Update Utility
Please let us know if these steps helped you to resolve the issue as well as the response from the motherboard manufacturer.
We haven't heard from you in a while. Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you have any more questions or doubts. We will be more than glad to assist you.