Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

HP 840 G1 unable to connect using 802.11n

wpere2
Beginner

Hi,

according to the specifications the elitebook HP 840 G1 can work over the 802.11n, but this protocol is not available on my wireless settings(screen bellow)

I'm trying to reach the solution but i have some doubts about like when i run the command "netsh wlan show drivers" where the response shows that the 802.11n protocol is available but I dont know why I can't choose.

my partnumber says that my wlan device is LBL, [AGL WLAN 802.11ac INT > i think that a 802.11AC can works with 802.11n, I guess that the 802.11n protocol is not available because I can't install the intel dual band wireless 7260

please someone can help me with this doubts or issue?

I'm using the lastest driver available on the intel download center

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wesleya2,

We understand you would like some help enabling 802.11n on your Intel® Wireless Adapter.

For most of our Wireless-N adapters, this is enabled by setting your Wireless Mode to it's highest setting and "HT Mode" to VHT.

After this, you may open a Command Prompt window and run the "netsh wlan show interfaces" command. This will display the radio type being used for your current wireless connection.

Please try this, and let us know if it helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
wpere2
Beginner

Hi Carlos thank you by your assistance

The driver that install on my computer (intel wireless N 7260) doesn't have vht mode available, on my tests here, I could see this option only if I force a intel dual band wireless 7260 driver installation.

But if after this I choose that my driver will works only on 802.11a, he stopped to work andt if I choose 802.11a/b/g(something like that) nothing change, the computer still connect on 2.4 g

0 Kudos
wpere2
Beginner

I did the command "netsh wlan show interfaces" and really i'm using the 802.11n now I have the following questions:

my partnumber says that my wireless card is "LBL, [AGL WLAN 802.11ac INT" it means that I have a wireless card 802.11AC right?

can I use this card on a wireless network that use 802.11n 5GHZ? if yes how once that I have both enable and the wireless still working on 130mbps and another computer(lenovo) with the 802.11n enabled works on 300mbps?

if not I read that 802.11AC works on 802.11ac 5GHZ but the "HT mode" will turn the connection process automatically?

another question is normal i don't have a configuration for 802.11 5ghz on my driver? and is normal I have nothing about 802.11ac on my drive settings?

ex. this is my network driver settings

Intel Wireless-N 7260 that install automatically

this is what I expected to see

Intel dual band wireless AC/N 7260 - I had to force the installation

0 Kudos
wpere2
Beginner

just to explain my scenario I need to change my wireless network to 802.11an 5Ghz,

the lenovo notebook worked very well but the HP 840g1 doesn't see or connect on the 802.11an.

all the specifications say that this notebook support 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac but the windows drive doesnt say the same. I'm a little confused about that.

on your last post we could see that he is working on the 802.11n but always on 2.4Ghz how can I change to 5Ghz?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wesleya2,

Our 7260 adapters come in http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/58604/Wilkins-Peak three different base models:

From these, only the "dual band" models are capable of using the 5 Ghz band. It's possible that your part number information could be wrong since you've forced the driver installation. This could also be the reason you were able to see both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz channel width settings (before your driver realized they did not apply and hid them).

If your wireless adapter is indeed one of our Intel® Wireless-N 7260 models, then you will not be able to connect or detect any 5 GHz networks. You should be able to reach higher connection rates by enabling channel bonding, but this could also increase your susceptibility to ambient RF noise (interference).

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005799.html Configure 802.11n Channel Bonding on Intel® Wireless Adapters.

In order to confirm which adapter your computer has integrated, you may check it's hardware ID through device manager, or contact your computer manufacturer. Your computer manufacturer should also be able to let you know if it's possible to upgrade your wireless adapter to a dual band model.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Computer manufacturer support sites.

- http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory information regarding wireless hardware installation or upgrade.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
wpere2
Beginner

My hadware ID is

do you have a place(site) where I can check this information or you can check it for me?

thank you

0 Kudos
wpere2
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I could find that my device uses Intel wireless N 7260.

Thank you for the explanation

Best Regards.

wesley

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Wesley,

We checked the INF file of the driver and your hardware ID also confirms this information:

"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_40628086 NIC_7260BGN_2x2_HMC Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260"

In this case our only recommendation would be to check with your computer manufacturer to see if you're able to upgrade to one of our Dual Band adapters:

- https://ark.intel.com/products/family/59484/Intel-Wireless-Products Intel® Wireless Products.

We're glad to have been able to help as much as we could. If you have any further issues, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos