Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7352 Discussions

How does Location Aware Regulatory (LAR) work?

Haas__Nicholas

Given we will soon lose the ability to disable LAR in Linux , I was curious if there was any documentation on how LAR determines one's region, beyond brief comments in bug reports, since it appears to override whatever the operating system is set to via `iw reg set`.  There are reports of  LAR setting the incorrect region , which is concerning if we are no longer going to be able to set our region manually after disabling LAR.

2 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Haas__Nicholas, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Haas__Nicholas, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, we might not be able to share specific documentation about the LAR realization in Intel® products, but there are some articles and materials describing the technology in general.

Disabling LAR is not supported in Windows* and looks like it's going to be disabled in Linux, but if your system detects your location wrong (as in this example: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Wireless-AC-8265-AX-200-sets-the-incorrect-regulatory-domain/m-p/734887), we think that the reason can be the AP advertising the wrong IP in your proximity. As a start, we recommend checking the over the air traces, use the sniffer logs, monitor the AP and IP used.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos